Fayetteville looks to be a 1A power for a while

DealLawyer

3 minutes ago, TheWacoKid said:

Looking at the schedule for next year, Fayetteville is playing at Watertown the first game. Don’t know what to expect this far out but I think that will be the best game in 1a or 2A week 1

Peabody plays Milan again week one. It should be pretty good 

56 minutes ago, Lcvol said:

I would hope there not stupid enough to try and schedule city . It’s a no win situation it sucks but lc football is dead . I’m proud of city kids they accomplished something every player that has played football in this county wanted to do since 93 . 

It's a shame that's not an annual game. The kids would love playing it, and the crowds would be bigger than anything seen in LC in the last 25 years other than the old timers game a few years ago. The game wouldn't count in region standings, so the only thing at risk would be the pride, mostly of administrators, old timers, and coaches.

18 minutes ago, GG22 said:

It's a shame that's not an annual game. The kids would love playing it, and the crowds would be bigger than anything seen in LC in the last 25 years other than the old timers game a few years ago. The game wouldn't count in region standings, so the only thing at risk would be the pride, mostly of administrators, old timers, and coaches.

Yea it would be a good gate for both schools . But besides money it makes no sense for a 5 a school to play a 1a state champion and get drilled . Even if lc was to win  people will say they should have and if they lose it’s the just another death nail to the program 

2 hours ago, Lcvol said:

Yea it would be a good gate for both schools . But besides money it makes no sense for a 5 a school to play a 1a state champion and get drilled . Even if lc was to win  people will say they should have and if they lose it’s the just another death nail to the program 

The thing is, the program has been on life support for about 15 years now. The crowds are just sad compared to the golden years, no one outside Lincoln County talks about them at all anymore, and really only the diehards in a Lincoln County still follow closely most years. There's not a long way further to fall, so I see this as a way to at least generate more interest in addition to being just a fun game.

There's actually a strong argument City has more to lose. They're riding high, and many, probably most, think they're better than LC. If they lost, people might say they're only champions because they beat up on minnows.

Fayetteville would probably beat LC comfortably right now, but that wouldn't always be the case. It'd effectively be a return to the old City-Central junior high rivalry, which was pretty evenly matched. LC would supplement the "Central kids" with the best from Flintville, Blanche, Unity, etc. now, so in the longer term their size and depth could win out many years.

9 hours ago, falcon039 said:

Lincoln County tried to get city to play a football game  next year but they (city)  turned it down.  It is very difficult to have three high schools in a county the size of LC. The population of LC 40 years ago in 1980 was 26,500 ish and now only 34,600 ish.  One school has 8 man football, one is 1A and the other is 5A. Talent is divided up among 3 schools  and  if has been difficult for LCHS. 

i would love to see that conversation, weird that it would magically be something they want after 7 years of ducking it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG22 said:

The thing is, the program has been on life support for about 15 years now. The crowds are just sad compared to the golden years, no one outside Lincoln County talks about them at all anymore, and really only the diehards in a Lincoln County still follow closely most years. There's not a long way further to fall, so I see this as a way to at least generate more interest in addition to being just a fun game.

There's actually a strong argument City has more to lose. They're riding high, and many, probably most, think they're better than LC. If they lost, people might say they're only champions because they beat up on minnows.

Fayetteville would probably beat LC comfortably right now, but that wouldn't always be the case. It'd effectively be a return to the old City-Central junior high rivalry, which was pretty evenly matched. LC would supplement the "Central kids" with the best from Flintville, Blanche, Unity, etc. now, so in the longer term their size and depth could win out many years.

city Has WAY more to lose right now. LC has been to the playoffs what? 3 times since 2010? city has been 4 times, should have been 5, including 2 quarterfinals, a state title and being robbed of a chance at another one. LC had 2 coaches in 33 years and are working on coach #3 in the decade. best thing about LC now, is baseball, coach is outstanding.

10 hours ago, falcon039 said:

Lincoln County tried to get city to play a football game  next year but they (city)  turned it down.  It is very difficult to have three high schools in a county the size of LC. The population of LC 40 years ago in 1980 was 26,500 ish and now only 34,600 ish.  One school has 8 man football, one is 1A and the other is 5A. Talent is divided up among 3 schools  and  if has been difficult for LCHS. 

Yes, LC did try to schedule City.  Coach Rose told that Morson man it had been cleared by both superintendents to proceed.  In the harsh reality, neither one had talked or agreed to anything.  Really, what sense would it make for a 1A to play a 5A, even if they've been down for so many years?  Bigger kids, more kids, the risk of injury is too great.  Even if they had agreed to split the gate, while no doubt it would have been potentially incredible as far as football games go, it's not worth the cost.  Bottom line, Fayetteville is carving out its own niche, one year at a time, and LC will just keep on their own path, wherever that may lead. They have a good feeder program and with the right coaches and support, could once again make noise in their region/class in years to come.  Local haters gonna hate City's success in such a relatively short time, but we've had 10 years to deal with it and we've moved on. It's the ones that are stuck in the past that try to keep bringing up the "why do we need 3 high schools when all the athletes could come here?" mentality that keeps our county from being even more successful. And it's that same mentality that only sees the worth of a student-athlete as an athlete and once that's done, they're done with them.  I can't speak for our private school, but I imagine they are like us at City, the worth of the student is more than what they contribute on the field or the court. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Varo said:

Yes, LC did try to schedule City.  Coach Rose told that Morson man it had been cleared by both superintendents to proceed.  In the harsh reality, neither one had talked or agreed to anything.  Really, what sense would it make for a 1A to play a 5A, even if they've been down for so many years?  Bigger kids, more kids, the risk of injury is too great.  Even if they had agreed to split the gate, while no doubt it would have been potentially incredible as far as football games go, it's not worth the cost.  Bottom line, Fayetteville is carving out its own niche, one year at a time, and LC will just keep on their own path, wherever that may lead. They have a good feeder program and with the right coaches and support, could once again make noise in their region/class in years to come.  Local haters gonna hate City's success in such a relatively short time, but we've had 10 years to deal with it and we've moved on. It's the ones that are stuck in the past that try to keep bringing up the "why do we need 3 high schools when all the athletes could come here?" mentality that keeps our county from being even more successful. And it's that same mentality that only sees the worth of a student-athlete as an athlete and once that's done, they're done with them.  I can't speak for our private school, but I imagine they are like us at City, the worth of the student is more than what they contribute on the field or the court. 

the Falcon fever crowd wont ever let it go. city needs to keep doing what it is they do, its a tiger town from this point forward regardless 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Varo said:

There was a lot of of falcons supporters that drove up there on Friday to support city . Yes there will always be people that don’t like city cause it did kill falcon football  forever it was going down already there’s no way around that right or wrong .But there’s also a lot of people that went to city till 9th grade then lc back in the day . And want the best for both schools cause at the end of the day all these kids are from Lincoln county and we should support all of them . 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lcvol said:

There was a lot of of falcons supporters that drove up there on Friday to support city . Yes there will always be people that don’t like city cause it did kill falcon football  forever it was going down already there’s no way around that right or wrong .But there’s also a lot of people that went to city till 9th grade then lc back in the day . And want the best for both schools cause at the end of the day all these kids are from Lincoln county and we should support all of them . 

Well said.  I didn't notice any Falcons, but I'm sure you are right.  I did notice several Cornersville people/players that went to the So. Pitt side though.  That's like, I hate Alabama or Florida, but I'm gonna cheer for them when they play someone else 'cause they're in the SEC.  Smh.