2021 3A

SSHawks12

4 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

Can someone tell me why Waverly doesn’t have White House Heritage on the schedule but they are in the same region?

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty positive that Waverly and White House Heritage will play on 10/8 in a Region 6-3A contest.  I only assume that because the rest of the dates are set and I'm sure Waverly tried to keep 10/15 open for 'Fall Break'.  

2 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty positive that Waverly and White House Heritage will play on 10/8 in a Region 6-3A contest.  I only assume that because the rest of the dates are set and I'm sure Waverly tried to keep 10/15 open for 'Fall Break'.  

Ok well it wasn’t on either teams schedule and I was just wondering. Maybe they don’t have the final schedule posted yet.

I've been browsing the database for Tennessee high school football ahsfhs.org. Thanks to my friend, Stacmot, for giving me that link a while back.

I thought it would be interesting to check how Covington has done in the past versus the teams on our 2021 schedule. Here's the data since Covington High School was formed in the early 1970's:

Munford 22-15

Jackson North Side 4-4

Millington 18-9

Brighton 16-9

Ripley 33-18

Dyersburg 26-13

Bolivar 6-6

Dyer County 13-6

Haywood 17-17-1

Bolton 5-3

It's interesting that none of these opponents has a winning record versus Covington, but I thought it was singular that three teams have an even record against the Chargers: Jackson N-S, Bolivar, and Haywood. After 50 years of football, what are the odds that three of our 10 opponents would have played exactly even with us?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I've been browsing the database for Tennessee high school football ahsfhs.org. Thanks to my friend, Stacmot, for giving me that link a while back.

I thought it would be interesting to check how Covington has done in the past versus the teams on our 2021 schedule. Here's the data since Covington High School was formed in the early 1970's:

Munford 22-15

Jackson North Side 4-4

Millington 18-9

Brighton 16-9

Ripley 33-18

Dyersburg 26-13

Bolivar 6-6

Dyer County 13-6

Haywood 17-17-1

Bolton 5-3

It's interesting that none of these opponents has a winning record versus Covington, but I thought it was singular that three teams have an even record against the Chargers: Jackson N-S, Bolivar, and Haywood. After 50 years of football, what are the odds that three of our 10 opponents would have played exactly even with us?

I like your post Chargerfan.  I've been looking at the Tennessee High School Football Database quite a bit myself.  I know that Byars-Hall  was consolidated with Frazier to form Covington High School in 1970.  Haywood County High School was consolidated with Brownsville Carver to form Haywood High School in 1970.  It's interesting that the database separates records for Byars-Hall High from Covington High, but it doesn't separate the records for Haywood County High from Haywood High.  I don't think so, but maybe it was the change in the Byars-Hall and Covington nicknames.  My best theory is that it was the way records were sent in.

I look at our rivalry as town vs. town.  Brownsville vs. Covington.  So,  I've got to mention the Byars-Hall and Haywood County days.  Covington and Brownsville (Byars-Hall and Haywood County High School) first played football against each other in 1922,  If you add the games between 1922 - 1969,  Covington holds a commanding 46-34-3 lead in the series.

I know that this year's Covington High School - Haywood High School game is going to be another good one.

I will have to say that the biggest surprise to me was that Covington did not have a commanding lead in the series with Bolivar.  I know the Tigers have had some good teams in the past, but not very many. 

Edited by stacmot

On 2/4/2021 at 8:57 PM, stacmot said:

I like your post Chargerfan.  I've been looking at the Tennessee High School Football Database quite a bit myself.  I know that Byars-Hall  was consolidated with Frazier to form Covington High School in 1970.  Haywood County High School was consolidated with Brownsville Carver to form Haywood High School in 1970.  It's interesting that the database separates records for Byars-Hall High from Covington High, but it doesn't separate the records for Haywood County High from Haywood High.  I don't think so, but maybe it was the change in the Byars-Hall and Covington nicknames.  My best theory is that it was the way records were sent in.

I look at our rivalry as town vs. town.  Brownsville vs. Covington.  So,  I've got to mention the Byars-Hall and Haywood County days.  Covington and Brownsville (Byars-Hall and Haywood County High School) first played football against each other in 1922,  If you add the games between 1922 - 1969,  Covington holds a commanding 46-34-3 lead in the series.

I know that this year's Covington High School - Haywood High School game is going to be another good one.

I will have to say that the biggest surprise to me was that Covington did not have a commanding lead in the series with Bolivar.  I know the Tigers have had some good teams in the past, but not very many. 

Regarding Bolivar, the old records show that Covington lost 5 straight to Bolivar in 1979 thru 1983. Covington was 1-9 in a couple of those years, so we were losing to most people back then. Since Bolivar came back on our schedule in 2015, Covington has won 5 straight. 

When you are looking at 50 years of football, there is going to be some ebb and flow in team performance, I guess.

• 6 months later...

Watch out for the Jackson County Blue Devils to make the Blue Cross Bowl. I’ve already booked my hotel for it. Jackson County has a up tempo high powered offense that will probably score about 45 points a game. Sean Loftis is building a dynasty down there on the Cumberland River. Sean Loftis had a choice between going to 3A or staying in 2A but he wanted to move up because of his killer mentality. Jackson County’s QB, Jake Garrison, will be an All American when this season concludes. He IS that good. Come back to this when the Blue Satanics are champions.

4 minutes ago, BobEarlesBrother said:

Watch out for the Jackson County Blue Devils to make the Blue Cross Bowl. I’ve already booked my hotel for it. Jackson County has a up tempo high powered offense that will probably score about 45 points a game. Sean Loftis is building a dynasty down there on the Cumberland River. Sean Loftis had a choice between going to 3A or staying in 2A but he wanted to move up because of his killer mentality. Jackson County’s QB, Jake Garrison, will be an All American when this season concludes. He IS that good. Come back to this when the Blue Satanics are champions.

5 minutes ago, BobEarlesBrother said:

Just wait when the Squatch steps on the field against those backwoods Jackson County Devils. You are about to get introduced to some serious football and you and your kind will be begging to go back to 2A where you belong. You better strap it up.