2021 3A

SSHawks12

On 12/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You are absolutely correct Swipes. Most people don’t understand the tssaa will only allow them to move up 1 class. 

Interesting. Did not know that. In Georgia, you can move up as high as you want, but the state has to approve each move and you have no input as to what region you are placed in. Outside of Atlanta private school Marist, who has played up two classes for 40 plus years, I don’t know of any Georgia schools currently playing up. For years all of the Savannah schools played up in the highest class so they could have their own region and get 4 state playoff berths in every sport, but they stopped that about 10 years ago. With the occasional exception of boy’s basketball, they never won anything at state when they qualified. 

45 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Interesting. Did not know that. In Georgia, you can move up as high as you want, but the state has to approve each move and you have no input as to what region you are placed in. Outside of Atlanta private school Marist, who has played up two classes for 40 plus years, I don’t know of any Georgia schools currently playing up. For years all of the Savannah schools played up in the highest class so they could have their own region and get 4 state playoff berths in every sport, but they stopped that about 10 years ago. With the occasional exception of boy’s basketball, they never won anything at state when they qualified. 

You know sometimes it makes sense to move up. Milan was classified 3A for the next 2 years (where we traditionally have been) but elected to move up to 4A. We were only about 25 or so students away from being in 2A. Most people think we moved up to avoid Alcoa but that’s just simply not the case. Moving up gave us more region games, reduced travel considerably and gave us games that would draw much bigger gates. A win/win all the way around. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

13 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Really! I didn't realize that. Did they just move to 5A in this last re-shuffle, or have they been in 5A a while? That makes our schedule even more challenging. 

I call this schedule the Hwy 51 schedule. Covington is on US Hwy 51, of course, then from North to South, you have Dyer County, Dyersburg, Ripley, us, Brighton, Munford, and Millington all strung out along that same route. 

I'm hoping that we can all get the vaccine by August and go back to having good crowds at our games.

I remember the first time I went to a Covington game. I was very impressed with the crowd that showed up to support the high school team. I had different thoughts headed that way. I have seen that stadium several times where you better get there early, on both sides! 

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

I see Covington, Dyersburg, and Ripley as the top 3 in 7-3A.  Who do you think has the best chance for the 4th spot?  Millington?

Not a sole can argue this IMO. 

I was very impressed with how Ripley turned their season around this past season. I knew after about week 5 or 6 they were going to give some teams issues. I hope they build on that. 

DBurg is like catching lighting in a bottle. They have a good coaching staff and they always seem to have pretty good athletes. On any given Friday night they could beat anyone in the state it seems like. My only concern with DBurg is sometimes they can lay an egg. 

Covington, is Covington. They have been really good for the past several years. That comes from having a great coaching staff and culture. They seem to have everything you need to be successful. I really wish I was able to see the rematch between Milan and Covington this past playoff season. 

Edited by ManOfMillions

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

I see Covington, Dyersburg, and Ripley as the top 3 in 7-3A.  Who do you think has the best chance for the 4th spot?  Millington?

I heard last year that Millington had some good young talent. Their coach is Chris Michael, a former University of Memphis player. Bolivar has been a mess, so I don’t see them competing unless they do something a lot different. Bolton is part of the SCS system, so they missed an entire year of football and may miss spring practice unless things change quickly. 

Given all of that, Bolivar and Bolton are likely to finish last in the Region, so Millington should be favored for fourth place (maybe higher if their young talent comes through).

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

I remember the first time I went to a Covington game. I was very impressed with the crowd that showed up to support the high school team. I had different thoughts headed that way. I have seen that stadium several times where you better get there early, on both sides! 

Yeah, Covington has a nice fan base. We are good at home, and have one of the biggest followings in this end of the state for road games.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, BCsportsfan said:

Bring it and quit talking about it! The F5 would love another game with Covington! Alcoa has 9 games.....make the call and play in the regular season. Do it! Ha!:thumb:

Not taking up for you guys but let’s be real. How many teams back East Run the covington offense? 

18 minutes ago, EastNasty said:

Not taking up for you guys but let’s be real. How many teams back East Run the covington offense? 

With the best Defensive Coordinator in Tennessee high school Football,  it's fun to watch Coach Brian Nix dial in the right combination and shutdown a good offense.  Most of the time he has it figured out before the game is played. The last two Championship games prove the point. 

So, with Dyersburg being new to 3A, I wonder if there are any Dyersburg posters on Coach T?

BPM, I believe you have said that you work there, but I'm talking about actual fans of the Trojans. Maybe one of those who rides the loud mopeds around their track before home games? I see that Covington has to play there this fall, so I'd better start looking for some earplugs.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
spelling

33 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

So, with Dyersburg being new to 3A, I wonder if there are any Dyersburg posters on Coach T?

BPM, I believe you have said that you work there, but I'm talking about actual fans of the Trojans. Maybe one of those who rides the loud mopeds around their track before home games? I see that Covington has to play there this fall, so I'd better start looking for some earplugs.

I plead the fifth. Lol.