New Executive Order

District12AA

On 12/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, 1983 said:

I am confident the season will continue on and we finish it out!  The next month will be rough but believe we will push through and do the best we can.  I believe we are going to start seeing the numbers go down once we get to February.  It will be slow but we will be  heading in the right direction.  Springs sports will be good to go!  Looking forward to the new year which brings with it new hope!

Why would they go down during the peak season?

On 12/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, 1983 said:

I am confident the season will continue on and we finish it out!  The next month will be rough but believe we will push through and do the best we can.  I believe we are going to start seeing the numbers go down once we get to February.  It will be slow but we will be  heading in the right direction.  Springs sports will be good to go!  Looking forward to the new year which brings with it new hope!

4 hours ago, ecu said:

Why would they go down during the peak season?

Many experts think the peak will be in January.  The other side of a peak is a downhill.  So you don’t think number start going down a little by February?  Things will start looking better in February and keep trending in a positive direction on into spring.  

17 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

You're right. Does that cover everything for 4yrs? Just asking because I don't know

Tennessee Promise is a scholarship program that covers tuition at almost every community college and TCAT in TN. It's called a "last dollar" scholarship because it covers the remaining tuition for each student after all other funding streams have been exhausted (e.g., Hope Scholarship, Pell Grants, etc are applied first). Every graduating senior in TN is eligible for this, as long as they apply on time, complete a FAFSA, attend the required meetings, and submit 8 hours of community service each semester. Some 4-year institutions in TN (both public and private) now allow students to apply Tennessee Promise funding to reduce their tuition burden, but it is capped (i.e., only covers a few thousand dollars per year).

I expect that this program will eventually be expanded to most public universities in the state in the future (e.g., ETSU, MTSU, UTK, UTC), particularly if a student earns an associates degree first.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

TSSAA has asked the basketball officials to take a pay cut for the remainder of the season due to Gov Lee's new order.  A lot of officials are upset about this!!  I can see both sides of this argument;  Schools= No fans no money being made how do we pay officials... Officials=  working varsity games and having to deal with the coaches that like to ref instead of coach isn't worth the pay cut........ Let's talk about this

31 minutes ago, Turtle said:

TSSAA has asked the basketball officials to take a pay cut for the remainder of the season due to Gov Lee's new order.  A lot of officials are upset about this!!  I can see both sides of this argument;  Schools= No fans no money being made how do we pay officials... Officials=  working varsity games and having to deal with the coaches that like to ref instead of coach isn't worth the pay cut........ Let's talk about this

I heard they cut pay by $20 a night (boys/girls doubleheader). Maybe somebody can confirm. 
Rock and a hard place. Lots of programs are struggling financially with a big decrease in revenue. But taking money from officials, which are always in short supply, seems short sighted. TSSAA should not be taking any cuts of Hall of Fame gates or playoff gates this year to help schools. That would help some. Tough spot for everybody involved

Many schools are hurting especially those w/o a large fan base, with no fans makes it even tougher. Have heard that refs even at D-1 level have taken cuts in pay. Several schools asked to only use 2 officials to save money but from what I was told the TSSAA and supervisors of officials wanted to stay at 3 officials for the consistency of the game. Also it is just for the remainder of the regular season. It is not ideal  but right now we are lucky to be playing at all and whether the officials, coaches and schools  like it or not the kids are the most important part of the equation so they can finish the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maddams said:

I heard they cut pay by $20 a night (boys/girls doubleheader). Maybe somebody can confirm. 
Rock and a hard place. Lots of programs are struggling financially with a big decrease in revenue. But taking money from officials, which are always in short supply, seems short sighted. TSSAA should not be taking any cuts of Hall of Fame gates or playoff gates this year to help schools. That would help some. Tough spot for everybody involved

25% cut for a double header, 33% cut for a single game. 

2 hours ago, attila said:

Many schools are hurting especially those w/o a large fan base, with no fans makes it even tougher. Have heard that refs even at D-1 level have taken cuts in pay. Several schools asked to only use 2 officials to save money but from what I was told the TSSAA and supervisors of officials wanted to stay at 3 officials for the consistency of the game. Also it is just for the remainder of the regular season. It is not ideal  but right now we are lucky to be playing at all and whether the officials, coaches and schools  like it or not the kids are the most important part of the equation so they can finish the season.

But it wasn’t the officials fault that the Gov made a NO FANS rule.  Why punish the refs?  They’re already risking their health by being out there calling a game .    Also, didn’t each school receive a grant or something to help with things like this ? 

17 minutes ago, Turtle said:

But it wasn’t the officials fault that the Gov made a NO FANS rule.  Why punish the refs?  They’re already risking their health by being out there calling a game .    Also, didn’t each school receive a grant or something to help with things like this ? 

No it wasn’t the officials fault but it wasn’t the kids playing either. No schools received a grant for athletics that I know of. The bottom line is if the season gets cancelled then there will be no games and no officials working. It’s a sacrifice during a difficult time, kids are in and out of school, etc. I know we need officials for games but the games are for the players and schools,. This is meant to be a short term fix for the programs that need it so they can finish the season.  Certainly the officials can do this for 1 and 1/2 months.