Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think he said his name was Greg and seems like one of the radio hosts indicated he had a long time association with the Haywood football program. Nonetheless they were talking about the new region 7-4A and how tough it would be. They also mentioned the past games between Milan and Haywood going back to the old Big Ten days. Good stuff to listen to. 

I've tried to find a transcript or something about last night's show, but I haven't been able to.  If his name was Greg, he was probably one of the sportscasters for Tomcat football and basketball.  He's also on the school board.  I like those Big Ten days too, and I'm pretty knowledgeable of those days as well.  Your old rival Chargerfan is too.

1 minute ago, stacmot said:

I've tried to find a transcript or something about last night's show, but I haven't been able to.  If his name was Greg, he was probably one of the sportscasters for Tomcat football and basketball.  He's also on the school board.  I like those Big Ten days too, and I'm pretty knowledgeable of those days as well.  Your old rival Chargerfan is too.

They mentioned that he was a broadcaster for the tomcats so I’m sure we are talking about the same person. 

48 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

His name Greg Vanstory. He has forgotten more about high school football than I will ever know. He is also a really good guy. 

I knew his last name.  I'm not sure why, but I didn't want to post it on here.  Dr. Rooks (the other Tomcat football sportscaster) is the real guru of Haywood football.

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

Here's your Big Ten history lesson for today.  I've posted some of this information in other threads, but I'll repeat some of it here.

The Byars-Hall Wildcats, Haywood Tomcats, Jackson High Golden Bears, and Ripley Tigers dominated the Big Ten during the last 15 years of the conference.  Big Ten Championships were always played at 2:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.  No matter where the game was played, the stadium was packed and the atmosphere was electric.  There was no time for a nap after the Thanksgiving meal.  You had to get to the game!

Championship games/scores from 1955 - 1969:

1955 – Byars-Hall defeated Union City 14-12 (location not confirmed)
1956 – Byars-Hall defeated Ripley 31-14 at Brownsville
1957 -  Haywood defeated Ripley 6-0 at Jackson
1958 – Jackson awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1959  - Ripley awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1960 – Haywood defeated Peabody 41-7 at Humboldt
1961 - Haywood defeated Jackson 6-0 at Jackson
1962 – Jackson defeated Haywood 34-7 at Jackson
1963 – Jackson defeated Haywood 26-7 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous and AP state champs in 1963)
1964 – Jackson defeated Haywood 27-0 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous state champs in 1964)
1965 – Ripley defeated Jackson 3-0 at Brownsville
1966 – Jackson defeated Byars-Hall 41-0 at Brownsville
1967 – Byars-Hall defeated Jackson 27-7 at Brownsville
1968 – Haywood defeated Jackson 26-12 at Jackson
1969 -  Haywood was declared the Conference Champion based on Haywood’s undefeated record. (no playoff)

Haywood was ranked #1 in the final AP Poll in 1969, but the Tomcats were not recognized as AP state champions because the TSSAA playoffs started in 1969.  Even though Haywood had an undefeated season, the Tomcats did not make the TSSAA playoffs.  Haywood had a AA  enrollment, but opted to play in AAA.  The TSSAA awarded 10 points for a victory over another AAA team and 4 points for a victory over a AA team.  Haywood defeated two AA teams (Humboldt and Peabody) causing them to lose in the point total to Memphis Southside.  Big Ten  member Humboldt played in the AA finals in 1969 losing to Loudon 30-0.   

I believe Milan's only appearance in the championship game was in 1943 when the Bulldogs defeated the Fayette County Panthers 7-0 (location not confirmed).  Milan got a raw deal during the 1960 season.  The Bulldogs were the only team to defeat Haywood in the regular season, and the Dogs also defeated Peabody.  Peabody finished the season 5-4-1.  Milan finished the season with an 8-2 record, but Peabody represented the eastern division in the playoffs. This came about as a result of a tie-breaker between Milan, Peabody, and Union City.

• Upvote 1

Best broadcaster I have heard for high school football team in a long time is the one from South Gibson. Go back and listen to his classic call of the game two years ago with Haywood County and then compare. I have saved one of those calls. Go back and listen to the last three minutes and watch the video. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Best broadcaster I have heard for high school football team in a long time is the one from South Gibson. Go back and listen to his classic call of the game two years ago with Haywood County and then compare. I have saved one of those calls. Go back and listen to the last three minutes and watch the video. 

I agree.  He did an excellent job.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

17 minutes ago, stacmot said:

He’s a big sissy!!  Lol!!! @ManOfMillions

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

19 hours ago, stacmot said:

Here's your Big Ten history lesson for today.  I've posted some of this information in other threads, but I'll repeat some of it here.

The Byars-Hall Wildcats, Haywood Tomcats, Jackson High Golden Bears, and Ripley Tigers dominated the Big Ten during the last 15 years of the conference.  Big Ten Championships were always played at 2:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.  No matter where the game was played, the stadium was packed and the atmosphere was electric.  There was no time for a nap after the Thanksgiving meal.  You had to get to the game!

Championship games/scores from 1955 - 1969:

1955 – Byars-Hall defeated Union City 14-12 (location not confirmed)
1956 – Byars-Hall defeated Ripley 31-14 at Brownsville
1957 -  Haywood defeated Ripley 6-0 at Jackson
1958 – Jackson awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1959  - Ripley awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1960 – Haywood defeated Peabody 41-7 at Humboldt
1961 - Haywood defeated Jackson 6-0 at Jackson
1962 – Jackson defeated Haywood 34-7 at Jackson
1963 – Jackson defeated Haywood 26-7 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous and AP state champs in 1963)
1964 – Jackson defeated Haywood 27-0 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous state champs in 1964)
1965 – Ripley defeated Jackson 3-0 at Brownsville
1966 – Jackson defeated Byars-Hall 41-0 at Brownsville
1967 – Byars-Hall defeated Jackson 27-7 at Brownsville
1968 – Haywood defeated Jackson 26-12 at Jackson
1969 -  Haywood was declared the Conference Champion based on Haywood’s undefeated record. (no playoff)

Haywood was ranked #1 in the final AP Poll in 1969, but the Tomcats were not recognized as AP state champions because the TSSAA playoffs started in 1969.  Even though Haywood had an undefeated season, the Tomcats did not make the TSSAA playoffs.  Haywood had a AA  enrollment, but opted to play in AAA.  The TSSAA awarded 10 points for a victory over another AAA team and 4 points for a victory over a AA team.  Haywood defeated two AA teams (Humboldt and Peabody) causing them to lose in the point total to Memphis Southside.  Big Ten  member Humboldt played in the AA finals in 1969 losing to Loudon 30-0.   

I believe Milan's only appearance in the championship game was in 1943 when the Bulldogs defeated the Fayette County Panthers 7-0 (location not confirmed).  Milan got a raw deal during the 1960 season.  The Bulldogs were the only team to defeat Haywood in the regular season, and the Dogs also defeated Peabody.  Peabody finished the season 5-4-1.  Milan finished the season with an 8-2 record, but Peabody represented the eastern division in the playoffs. This came about as a result of a tie-breaker between Milan, Peabody, and Union City.

This is really good stuff man. Two thumbs up. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

But he does a good job on his broadcast. I love it when he does the Fat Albert voice. Classic. 

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thank you very much! Games like that one sure make it a lot of fun. I also get the best seat in the house. Seabass often jokes with me " that I must be living right! You get to call great games all the time. I get 1 or 2 a year " 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I realize this might be hard to gauge at this point in the year, but who do you think has the strongest non-region schedule?  I think I might give the nod to South Gibson with Milan a close second.  

Crockett Co. - Dyer Co., Ripley, Bolivar, Kirby, Lexington
Haywood - ?, Lexington, Melrose, Lake Co., Covington  (I believe Haywood still needs one game to fill their schedule.)
Milan - Peabody, Manassas, Liberty, Huntingdon, Hardin Co.
North Side - Hardin Co., Covington, Ripley, Liberty, South Side
Obion Co. -  Gibson Co., Lake Co., McKenzie, Chester Co., Dresden
South Gibson - Lexington, Westwood, Kirby, Henry Co., Lausanne