Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

32 minutes ago, stacmot said:

They are a well-coached, well-disciplined, hard-nosed team.  I have a great deal of respect for the Cavaliers. 

We did not get to play Crockett last year.  Anyone have any idea who the Cavs might have coming back?

From what I’ve been told, not really much “firepower.” Sometimes we get confused in quantity players coming back, but what about quality players? 

3 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

From what I’ve been told, not really much “firepower.” Sometimes we get confused in quantity players coming back, but what about quality players? 

Quality over quantity is a definite consideration.  I didn't see Crockett play last year, and I must admit that I was somewhat surprised by their record. 

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

10-0 season for the Hornuts. Parade lasted til the first rd of the playoffs. Lol. 

Ouch!!!

I would have loved to have heard the South Gibson broadcaster the last few minutes of the game and for the first few minutes after.  I bet he got pretty excited!  He does love his Hornets, and there's nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

10-0 season for the Hornuts. Parade lasted til the first rd of the playoffs. Lol. 

What makes that game even crazier is the “after effect.” Since that game (I think it was in 2012), East Hickman had two seasons where they finished above .500, two seasons where they only had one win, and one season where they finished 0-10. It’s crazy to believe the last (and maybe only) time East Hickman won a playoff game, was to a team that finished 10-0.

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

Ouch!!!

I would have loved to have heard the South Gibson broadcaster the last few minutes of the game and for the first few minutes after.  I bet he got pretty excited!  He does love his Hornets, and there's nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

What makes that game even crazier is the “after effect.” Since that game (I think it was in 2012), East Hickman had two seasons where they finished above .500, two seasons where they only had one win, and one season where they finished 0-10. It’s crazy to believe the last (and maybe only) time East Hickman won a playoff game, was to a team that finished 10-0.

I will never in my entire life forget that season.  10-0 in the regular season, with a win over the pups. It honestly seemed like it was destiny. I remember the little home stands that we had at the time would be packed to the rafters every single game.  The crowds were huge, and very rowdy. We had a group of boys that could play ball. They were led by the Walden brothers. 

The first round of the playoffs seemed like it was going to be a breeze...... NOT! East Hickman came to play ball, and beat us. It was probably the upset of the year. We had 3 turnovers in the game and EH scored on every single one of them.... You can NOT turn the ball over and expect to win games... 

None the less, that year IMO kinda set the tone for what our program would become. We do not have the athletes year in and year out that get D1 offers. We do not have the newest or shiny facilities, what we do have is a culture of kids that come through our program and are expected to out work everyone. We have great coaches that give our boys a chance to win. Great community support from top to bottom. We also, have a great feeder program. Coach Moore has been absolutely dominating at the middle school for the last 20+ years. 

BPM can act like a clown if he wants, but he knows that SGC is rising and only getting better. He is also, ugly. 

O yea, and to add to the list of things we have going for us we do not have to wear the horrific color purple. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

Ouch!!!

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I will never in my entire life forget that season.  10-0 in the regular season, with a win over the pups. It honestly seemed like it was destiny. I remember the little home stands that we had at the time would be packed to the rafters every single game.  The crowds were huge, and very rowdy. We had a group of boys that could play ball. They were led by the Walden brothers. 

The first round of the playoffs seemed like it was going to be a breeze...... NOT! East Hickman came to play ball, and beat us. It was probably the upset of the year. We had 3 turnovers in the game and EH scored on every single one of them.... You can NOT turn the ball over and expect to win games... 

None the less, that year IMO kinda set the tone for what our program would become. We do not have the athletes year in and year out that get D1 offers. We do not have the newest or shiny facilities, what we do have is a culture of kids that come through our program and are expected to out work everyone. We have great coaches that give our boys a chance to win. Great community support from top to bottom. We also, have a great feeder program. Coach Moore has been absolutely dominating at the middle school for the last 20+ years. 

BPM can act like a clown if he wants, but he knows that SGC is rising and only getting better. He is also, ugly. 

O yea, and to add to the list of things we have going for us we do not have to wear the horrific color purple. 

All good programs have losses that should not have happened. I remember a game in the 80’s when we still had 3 classes. Milan was ranked #1 in the state and was playing a 2 win Riverside team for Homecoming. Everyone expect d a blowout. Milan lost. In the locker room after the game coach Tucker told the boys they would need new girlfriends tomorrow cause they weren’t going to the homecoming dance. They were going back out on the field and having practice. He told any kid that left not to come back to practice Monday. Everyone stayed. Those type losses shape your program. The SG loss to EH propelled the Hornets to where the are today. They do have a program now where winning and hard work are part of the culture. MoM is right. I give SG a hard time cause we are neighbors and rivals but I have nothing but respect for the program they have built. 

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Hey now!  What's wrong with the color purple?  Milan, Haywood, Byars-Hall (Covington), Ripley, Union City...it was a popular color in the old Big Ten Conference.

Edited by stacmot

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

All good programs have losses that should not have happened. I remember a game in the 80’s when we still had 3 classes. Milan was ranked #1 in the state and was playing a 2 win Riverside team for Homecoming. Everyone expect d a blowout. Milan lost. In the locker room after the game coach Tucker told the boys they would need new girlfriends tomorrow cause they weren’t going to the homecoming dance. They were going back out on the field and having practice. He told any kid that left not to come back to practice Monday. Everyone stayed. Those type losses shape your program. The SG loss to EH propelled the Hornets to where the are today. They do have a program now where winning and hard work are part of the culture. MoM is right. I give SG a hard time cause we are neighbors and rivals but I have nothing but respect for the program they have built. 

Speaking of the 80s and Coach Tucker...

Haywood and Milan played each other 38 times between 1922 and 1963.  Haywood won the '63 game by a score of 88-0.  After that game, the two schools did not meet again until 1987, and that '87 game is my favorite Milan-Haywood game.

Milan (Class AA) was coached by John Tucker.  Haywood (Class AAA) was coached by George Chapman.

Milan (2-0) had opened the season with a 33-0 victory over Huntingdon followed by a 30-7 victory over Humboldt.  The Dawgs were ranked #1 in the AA polls.

Haywood (1-1) had opened the season with a 14-12 victory over Henry Co followed by a 21-20 loss to Dyersburg .  

A huge crowd was in attendance, and they were treated to a fantastic defensive battle.

Milan drew first blood with a 30 yard field goal by John Denton giving the Dogs a 3-0 lead at the half.  Haywood's Justin Spencer tied the game with a 32 yard field goal in the 3rd quarter.  Spencer kicked another field goal in the fourth to give Haywood a 6-3 victory.  ( I'm not sure about the distance of the kick or the time left in the game.)

The rumor was that Tucker didn't want to play Haywood, but the MHS administration made him do it.  I don't know if that was true.  However, I do know the following to be true.  After the final horn sounded, Tucker walked onto the field, shouted a few choice words at Coach Chapman, and then walked off the field refusing to shake Chapman's hand.  LOL

Coach Tucker was mad to say the least.  I would not have wanted to be on the Bulldogs' team bus on  that 36 mile trip back to Milan.

Milan finished the season 9-3 losing 16-0 to MUS in the second round of the playoffs.  Haywood finished the season 9-2 losing 13-6 to Collierville in the first round of the playoffs.

Edited by stacmot
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Haywood and Milan played each other 38 times between 1922 and 1963.  Haywood won the '63 game by a score of 88-0.  After that game, the two schools did not meet again until 1987, and that '87 game is my favorite Milan-Haywood game.

Milan (Class AA) was coached by John Tucker.  Haywood (Class AAA) was coached by George Chapman.

Milan (2-0) had opened the season with a 33-0 victory over Huntingdon followed by a 30-7 victory over Humboldt.  The Dawgs were ranked #1 in the AA polls.

Haywood (1-1) had opened the season with a 14-12 victory over Henry Co followed by a 21-20 loss to Dyersburg .  

A huge crowd was in attendance, and they were treated to a fantastic defensive battle.

Milan drew first blood with a 30 yard field goal by John Denton giving the Dogs a 3-0 lead at the half.  Haywood's Justin Spencer tied the game with a 32 yard field goal in the 3rd quarter.  Spencer kicked another field goal in the fourth to give Haywood a 6-3 victory.  ( I'm not sure about the distance of the kick or the time left in the game.)

The rumor was that Tucker didn't want to play Haywood, but the MHS administration made him do it.  I don't know if that was true.  However, I do know the following to be true.  After the final horn sounded, Tucker walked onto the field, shouted a few choice words at Coach Chapman, and then walked off the field refusing to shake Chapman's hand.  LOL

Coach Tucker was mad to say the least.  I would not have wanted to be on the Bulldog's team bus on  that 36 mile trip back to Milan.

Milan finished the season 9-3 losing 16-0 to MUS in the second round of the playoffs.  Haywood finished the season 9-2 losing 13-6 to Collierville in the first round of the playoffs.

Sounds like two really good teams going at it. Good game indeed. 

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

Coach Tucker was mad to say the least.  I would not have wanted to be on the Bulldog's team bus on  that 36 mile trip back to Milan.

Cool story. Sounds like one of those slobber knocker kinda games! 

• Like 1