Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

On 2/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, stacmot said:

Flashback Friday! 

Since SGC and Haywood will be region 7-4A rivals this year, I decided to go back and watch the stream of that 2019 game.  For me, it was a better option than watching  the 52-35 whipping the Hornets put on the Tomcats in 2020.

It was a great game, and it's the only win Haywood has had against South Gibson.   SGC holds a 3-1 lead in the series with the Tomcats.  

Not many West Tennessee teams can claim a series lead over Haywood, so I hope the Tomcats can start picking away at that lead this year.    

Other than Haywood's kicker, I don't know if any of the players who played in that classic game will be returning in 2021. 

If you're interested in watching Haywood's winning drive.  Here's the link

http://tncitylinktv.com/archive/sgc-vs-haywood-co-09-27-19/

The winning drive starts at about the 3:04:23 mark.  It may take a while to download, but if you click on play while it's downloading I think you can get it to work.  At least it did for me.

As a side note, I think SGC's announcer did a pretty good job!  

Thanks for the kind words, sir. That game was the greatest high school football game I have ever called. I have been doing it for almost 10 years now.... those kind of games it what makes it so much fun. 

If you would prefer, you can watch the game on my you tube channel. 

In regards to someone calling me a " big sissy ". Big, is a relative term. If, you knew us personally, you would know who the " big " sissy is. @BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Edited by ManOfMillions

26 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

In regards to someone calling me a " big sissy ". Big, is a relative term. If, you knew us personally, you would know who the " big " sissy is. 

Lol. No doubt. They don’t call me “BIG”PURPLEMACHINE for nothing. Thanks for posting the link. Will give me something to watch as the snow falls. 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

I"ll be interested to watch 7-4A In the 2021 season to see how you all do. I'm going to be familiar with most of the teams in that region, but I don't have any direct knowledge of the teams y'all will face once the playoffs start.

Region 7's hopes for a playoff run obviously begin with Shelby and Fayette Co.
Since Shelby County Schools did not play last season, it's really hard to guess how strong those teams will be.

Another factor to consider is that coaches and players move around quite a bit in Shelby Co. (especially in Memphis).  Who knows who their key players will be or if Shelby County Schools will even play this season.

I'll have to say I thought Ridgeway might have the strongest program in Region 8, but after looking at 5 year records, it looks like Kirby might have the strongest program.  We should see how Region 7 compares with Kirby when the Cougars host South Gibson on Sept. 10 and travel to Crockett Co. on Sept. 24.  

I've never been impressed with Fayette Ware, but they have had some success in the last few years and they did compete in 2020. 

Win/Loss records for Region 8-4A teams over the last 5 years.

Craigmont         10-34        
Fayette Ware    30-25    (competed in 2020)    
Kirby                   29-16
Melrose             16-27
Ridgeway          26-21
Wooddale         26-19

As far as Region 6 is concerned, I believe Lexington, Hardin Co. and McNairy will probably be the top 3.  Milan, South Gibson, North Side, Crockett Co., and Haywood all played Lexington last year.  Milan and South Gibson played McNairy,  and Milan and North Side also played Hardin Co.  

Haywood, Crockett Co., and South Gibson will play Lexington again this year. Milan and North Side will play Hardin Co.  So Regions 6 and 7 seem to be fairly familiar with each other.

I think Pearl-Cohn, Tullahoma, Marshall Co., and Creek Wood will be the favorites in Region 5.  Milan played Pearl-Cohn last year and North Side played Creek Wood.  Overall, Region 7 does not have a lot of experience against Region 5, but you don't have to have familiarity or experience against those teams to know they are good.  Regions 5 and 6 will host this year, so that might give those teams a bit of an advantage.  

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks for the kind words, sir. That game was the greatest high school football game I have ever called. I have been doing it for almost 10 years now.... those kind of games it what makes it so much fun. 

If you would prefer, you can watch the game on my you tube channel. 

In regards to someone calling me a " big sissy ". Big, is a relative term. If, you knew us personally, you would know who the " big " sissy is. @BIGPURPLEMACHINE

You're welcome.  I like the Haywood crew, but sometimes they get too silly.  In my opinion, your broadcasts are more professional.  I like how fair you are with your comments and compliments concerning the opposing team as well.

Thanks for the link.  I'll definitely be watching it later tonight.  I've been around for more years than I care to mention, and I've seen a lot of good games, but I'll agree this game was one of the best I've seen.

I could comment on a great defensive battle between Milan and Haywood that took place in the 80s, but I might upset a few Milan folks.  If I decide to comment on it at all,  I'll do it later.  Maybe I could do a Throwback Thursday post.

Haywood had a discipline problem in the 2019 game, and they had a discipline problem in the 2020 game as well.  In fact, they've had problems with discipline/penalties for years.  I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the Cats have the ball 1st and goal at the 4 only to end up with it 4th and goal at the 40.  On the flip side, I've seen the opposing team score on a 70 yard drive gaining 60 of those 70 yards by way of penalties.  I will say that the current coaching staff seems to have better control of that problem, but it still rears its ugly head every now and then.

Discipline will be a major factor for the Cats in 2021.  I know that Region 7 opponents Milan, Crockett Co., and South Gibson will have well disciplined teams.  If Haywood has any hope of winning those region battles, they will definitely have to play disciplined ball.  They'll have to play disciplined ball to win a lot of their non-region games as well.

I'm looking forward to another good game with the Hornets on October 15th.

Since I'm big on history, stats, and tradition, I'd love for other fans in Region 7 to share some of their stories about great games between Crockett Co., Haywood, Milan, North Side, Obion Central, and South Gibson.  At this point we're not getting much of anything new related to the 2021 season.

Edited by stacmot

14 hours ago, stacmot said:

You're welcome.  I like the Haywood crew, but sometimes they get too silly.  In my opinion, your broadcasts are more professional.  I like how fair you are with your comments and compliments concerning the opposing team as well.

Thanks for the link.  I'll definitely be watching it later tonight.  I've been around for more years than I care to mention, and I've seen a lot of good games, but I'll agree this game was one of the best I've seen.

I could comment on a great defensive battle between Milan and Haywood that took place in the 80s, but I might upset a few Milan folks.  If I decide to comment on it at all,  I'll do it later.  Maybe I could do a Throwback Thursday post.

Haywood had a discipline problem in the 2019 game, and they had a discipline problem in the 2020 game as well.  In fact, they've had problems with discipline/penalties for years.  I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the Cats have the ball 1st and goal at the 4 only to end up with it 4th and goal at the 40.  On the flip side, I've seen the opposing team score on a 70 yard drive gaining 60 of those 70 yards by way of penalties.  I will say that the current coaching staff seems to have better control of that problem, but it still rears its ugly head every now and then.

Discipline will be a major factor for the Cats in 2021.  I know that Region 7 opponents Milan, Crockett Co., and South Gibson will have well disciplined teams.  If Haywood has any hope of winning those region battles, they will definitely have to play disciplined ball.  They'll have to play disciplined ball to win a lot of their non-region games as well.

I'm looking forward to another good game with the Hornets on October 15th.

Since I'm big on history, stats, and tradition, I'd love for other fans in Region 7 to share some of their stories about great games between Crockett Co., Haywood, Milan, North Side, Obion Central, and South Gibson.  At this point we're not getting much of anything new related to the 2021 season.

One of my favorite games between Milan  and Crockett Co took it place back in either ‘08 or ‘09. Can’t remember which. It was the last game of the season and both team were 9-0. The games was at Crockett. The student section for Crockett was dressed in all black and they were holding up a huge sign that said “we are in mourning of Milan’s first loss”. Milan proceeded to put a 4td butt whooping on the Cavaliers. Was a great game to watch.... at least for Milan. :)

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

One of my favorite games between Milan  and Crockett Co took it place back in either ‘08 or ‘09. Can’t remember which. It was the last game of the season and both team were 9-0. The games was at Crockett. The student section for Crockett was dressed in all black and they were holding up a huge sign that said “we are in mourning of Milan’s first loss”. Milan proceeded to put a 4td butt whooping on the Cavaliers. Was a great game to watch.... at least for Milan. :)

Thanks for sharing that.  I see the game took place in 2009.  Not only was it a 4 TD win.  It was a shutout, and the Cavs were averaging 39 points a game!

Milan went on to bring home a silver ball in 2009.  

I believe that was the first year of the Z Plan.  I hated that plan, and I hope the TSSAA never goes back to it again.  I prefer the current playoff format.  I like knowing where you stand and who you'll most likely play as the season winds down.  

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I see the game took place in 2009.  Not only was it a 4 TD win.  It was a shutout, and the Cavs were averaging 39 points a game!

Milan went on to bring home a silver ball in 2009.  

I believe that was the first year of the Z Plan.  I hated that plan, and I hope the TSSAA never goes back to it again.  I prefer the current playoff format.  I like knowing where you stand and who you'll most likely play as the season winds down.  

That was an exceptional Milan team with a future nfl player and a handful of kids that went on to play college ball a few at the D1 level. Alcoa beat us in the championship game 21-0 and held us to 152 yds of total offense. Just speaks to how good Alcoa was. Scary part is they are better now.  And I have mixed feelings about msg about the z plan. I agree with you that it’s nice to have set criteria and to know where you stand in the last week. However I hate see teams with a losing record in the playoffs. Heck there have been teams that didn’t win a game get in under the current criteria. And some years you have 7-3 teams sit home. Three years ago an 0-10 Memphis East team made the playoffs and two years ago a 7-3 McNairy team finished 5th in the region and missed the playoffs. Seemed like the z plane eliminated some of that. But if I was forced to pick one or the other I guess I would stick with the current method. Shame there isn’t a happy medium. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

31 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That was an exceptional Milan team with a future nfl player and a handful of kids that went on to play college ball a few at the D1 level. Alcoa beat us in the championship game 21-0 and held us to 152 yds of total offense. Just speaks to how good Alcoa was. Scary part is they are better now.  And I have mixed feelings about msg about the z plan. I agree with you that it’s nice to have set criteria and to know where you stand in the last week. However I hate see teams with a losing record in the playoffs. Heck there have been teams that didn’t win a game get in under the current criteria. And some years you have 7-3 teams sit home. Three years ago an 0-10 Memphis East team made the playoffs and two years ago a 7-3 McNairy team finished 5th in the region and missed the playoffs. Seemed like the z plane eliminated some of that. But if I was forced to pick one or the other I guess I would stick with the current method. Shame there isn’t a happy medium. 

^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^^

I remember that year very clear. I did NOT want to see McNairy again. Honestly, I do not think that anyone in the region wanted to see them again. SGC got a couple of breaks in that game and were able to pull out the victory. 

If, I were to say to you " We only have 1 spot left in the chase for the gold. One team is 0-10, the other team is 7-3, who do you think should make it to the dance? " Obviously, anyone with more than a few brain cells rubbing together between their ears would select the 7-3 team. That was the most disappointed I have ever been with our current format. I know that it has some positives but this was absolutely horrible. 

In regards to the current TSSAA format, it does not seem to penalize Memphis for pretty much anything. I could type on this laptop till I was blue in the face about the malfeasance, misconduct, underhanded, and dirty crap that goes on the Memphis. TSSAA seems to just turn its back and act like it never happened. 

Just one example, I will not mention the school because I was told this info in confidence. One school went and played a Memphis school in the sub-state BBall tournament a few years ago. There is supposed to be a split of the gate. TSSAA get a share, each school gets a share. Well, the one school that traveled from rural west TN to go to Memphis and played never got a check. Not a cashiers check, not an IOU, not anything. Still to this day that money never showed. There were about a 1000 people at that game..... I guess the gate money just up and walked out of the gym......  

What happened to all the freaking money???  I have long been a proponent of doing away with them and starting over. 

Train our refs better for all games, pay them better, make ALL tournament officials a semi/full time job. make very clear rules, and follow them! Make any disputes public and handled very timely. 

Lawdy, I have gotten fired up. I am going to quit now. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That was a tough year for McNairy for sure. I honestly believe they were the best team in any class in the state to not make the playoffs. But it also attests to just how stout the old 7-3A was. Pound for pound best region in the state imo. McNairy beat Hardin County and Lexington that year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

That was a tough year for McNairy for sure. I honestly believe they were the best team in any class in the state to not make the playoffs. But it also attests to just how stout the old 7-3A was. Pound for pound best region in the state imo. McNairy beat Hardin County and Lexington that year.

^^^^This^^^^^^ as well!!!! ABSOLUTLY A SHAME THEY DID NOT GET A TICKET TO THE DANCE!!!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

Hardin Co was 9-1 that year I believe and top seed in the region. McNairy was that good. Shame for them not to make the playoffs.