Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

11 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Lexington definitely had a very good team.  I know it's hard having your allegiance split between two region teams.  The Hardin Co.-McNairy game on October 29 should be a good one.

I wonder what Lexington list off of the big front five they had this past season? I know there QB was a senior. I expect them to be really good again though. Yalls region I think are in for some really good football games next year with 3 possible top ten teams in one region.

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

I know this post is probably better suited for the Region 7-4A thread.  I  really don't know if it's possible to move a post from one thread to another, so I'll apologize and continue.

Thanks for the kind words Man Of Millions.

Haywood's stadium really isn't that bad, but it (like a lot of other stadiums) definitely pales in comparison to Johnnie Hale.  What did you think of our facilities when you broadcast the SGC-Haywood game back in September?

We generally pack the home stands for big ball games (especially if we're playing a big rival), and there are a lot of people who tend to prefer to stand along the fence. I hope fans who didn't attend games in 2020 will come back once the Covid threat is over.  Who knows if or when that will be!

I don't think Haywood fans travel as well as they should.  I don't believe we packed the visitor's stands at SGC for the big game we played in 2019.

I've never met our coaches, but I like what I've read, heard, and seen.  I hope they hang around for a while.  

To sort of get back on topic, let's team up and put a little juju on BPM and his Dawgs!

There is no doubt that Milan is the preseason favorite in 7-4A.  Will the Hornets, Tomcats, Cavaliers, Rebels, or Indians be able to stop them?  SGC and Haywood are Milan's first two region opponents.  If the Bulldogs win those two games. watch out!  Milan will definitely have the momentum going against Crockett, Obion, and North Side.

I just wanted to say that for the record I don’t think Haywood’s stadium in any way is inadequate. I just think it is dated and there’s nothing wrong with that. I know Johnnie Hale was horrible and in desperate need of improvements. Especially the visitor’s side which should have been condemned. I’m just glad will live in a community that decided to not just renovate but to go above and beyond. I hope nothing but the best for Haywood and hope at some point the community decides to make the kids a priority. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I just wanted to say that for the record I don’t think Haywood’s stadium in any way is inadequate. I just think it is dated and there’s nothing wrong with that. I know Johnnie Hale was horrible and in desperate need of improvements. Especially the visitor’s side which should have been condemned. I’m just glad will live in a community that decided to not just renovate but to go above and beyond. I hope nothing but the best for Haywood and hope at some point the community decides to make the kids a priority. 

Agreed with this, Haywood is now a threat to make it to Cookeville for now on. Something, we weren't able to say 5-7 years ago. What's the next step for Haywood's program? That will be stadium and field renovations.

1 minute ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Agreed with this, Haywood is now a threat to make it to Cookeville for now on. Something, we weren't able to say 5-7 years ago. What's the next step for Haywood's program? That will be stadium and field renovations.

Are you a North Side fan?  If so, who will North Side lose to graduation?  Who are some of the key players returning?  Any rising sophomores who could play a role?

I wish someone could give some answers to those questions concerning other region opponents as well.

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Are you a North Side fan?  If so, who will North Side lose to graduation?  Who are some of the key players returning?  Any rising sophomores who could play a role?

I wish someone could give some answers to those questions concerning other region opponents as well.

From my understanding, we will not a lot of quantity players, but we will lose some quality players. I believe we only lost 6-8 players and 3 each on both sides of the ball. So we do have some experience returning, but it's nothing to be proud of. There are no rising sophomores to be aware of, freshman team wasn't special, despite beating Peabody (if people care about that). Also, I wouldn't worry about this upcoming freshman class because they didn't play football last fall due to Covid.  North Side will not win the region, and will potentially not get the #2 seed either. So don't worry. 

My family and I used to be involved with this team when Coach Vowell was there. But things have fallen off faster than I can even put in words. 

Last year, the teams had wins against Bolivar, Liberty, Kenwood, Chester County and South Side. That's a combine record of  6-39. In reality, that should be 2-39 because South Side and Chester County (who had two wins respectively) both beat Liberty and Bolivar, who were both had a winless season. 

Our defense was pathetic last year, we allowed 50+ twice which is no where near our standards. The problem with North Side on the offensive side of the ball, is that they don't have any playmakers because the offense is not an offense for playmakers. It's that simple.

The key game to watch will be the September, 10th game against Ripley. That game will determine if we can handle South Gibson in Medina, the following week after. If we struggle in both games, wouldn't surprised me if we lose to Haywood and Crockett County, which are both road games. 

There are more things to worry about at North Side than the football program. Coach Powell is content with winning 6-7 games, which the administration is content with that as well. Principal Bridgeman has drove the athletics deeper in the ground than you can think. In our olympic sports district (South Side, McNairy, A'Ville, Lexington, Riverside, Chester County and Scotts Hill) the Indians are the only program that has not won a district game in the following sports: softball, girls basketball, and baseball (tournament game). Last time I've checked, they have won a match in volleyball since 2016. Trust me, there are huge problems North Side that hasn't been addressed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

From my understanding, we will not a lot of quantity players, but we will lose some quality players. I believe we only lost 6-8 players and 3 each on both sides of the ball. So we do have some experience returning, but it's nothing to be proud of. There are no rising sophomores to be aware of, freshman team wasn't special, despite beating Peabody (if people care about that). Also, I wouldn't worry about this upcoming freshman class because they didn't play football last fall due to Covid.  North Side will not win the region, and will potentially not get the #2 seed either. So don't worry. 

My family and I used to be involved with this team when Coach Vowell was there. But things have fallen off faster than I can even put in words. 

Last year, the teams had wins against Bolivar, Liberty, Kenwood, Chester County and South Side. That's a combine record of  6-39. In reality, that should be 2-39 because South Side and Chester County (who had two wins respectively) both beat Liberty and Bolivar, who were both had a winless season. 

Our defense was pathetic last year, we allowed 50+ twice which is no where near our standards. The problem with North Side on the offensive side of the ball, is that they don't have any playmakers because the offense is not an offense for playmakers. It's that simple.

The key game to watch will be the September, 10th game against Ripley. That game will determine if we can handle South Gibson in Medina, the following week after. If we struggle in both games, wouldn't surprised me if we lose to Haywood and Crockett County, which are both road games. 

There are more things to worry about at North Side than the football program. Coach Powell is content with winning 6-7 games, which the administration is content with that as well. Principal Bridgeman has drove the athletics deeper in the ground than you can think. In our olympic sports district (South Side, McNairy, A'Ville, Lexington, Riverside, Chester County and Scotts Hill) the Indians are the only program that has not won a district game in the following sports: softball, girls basketball, and baseball (tournament game). Last time I've checked, they have won a match in volleyball since 2016. Trust me, there are huge problems North Side that hasn't been addressed.

Thanks for your response.  I didn't know all of those things were happening at North Side.  As you know, the Indians and Tomcats didn't get to play last year, so I didn't really keep up with y'all.  North Side always plays Haywood tough, so we should give each other a good game. 

59 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Thanks for your response.  I didn't know all of those things were happening at North Side.  As you know, the Indians and Tomcats didn't get to play last year, so I didn't really keep up with y'all.  North Side always plays Haywood tough, so we should give each other a good game. 

Correct, and it will be a tough game. But North Side hasn't defeated Haywood since 2015 (when Coach Vowell was there). The closest margin of defeat, was 19 points. The talent gap between the schools aren't the same as you think. Y'all have kids that are receiving offers from FBS schools, we can't even get an D-2 offer to a kid. You're going to find out more of where this team is after the September 10/17 games against Ripley and South Gibson.

8 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Correct, and it will be a tough game. But North Side hasn't defeated Haywood since 2015 (when Coach Vowell was there). The closest margin of defeat, was 19 points. The talent gap between the schools aren't the same as you think. Y'all have kids that are receiving offers from FBS schools, we can't even get an D-2 offer to a kid. You're going to find out more of where this team is after the September 10/17 games against Ripley and South Gibson.

This may be happening, but has your coach attempted to contact college coaches or vouch for any NS players?  I know there's a lot of talent at the Reservation. I don't think it could hurt to promote it.

I know North Side has the potential to shake things up, so it will be interesting to see how your games against Ripley and South Gibson go.  I don't know who (if anybody) Haywood will play in week one or two.  Haywood seems to be having a hard time filling it's schedule.  We will play Crockett Co., Lexington, and Milan on weeks 3,4, and 5, so we will know more about where we stand when North Side comes to town on week 7.  

Edited by stacmot

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I saw that, Stacmot!

Covington has to break in a new QB and primary running back this year, as Ruffin and Hayes graduated. Y'all may well be favored, as we also graduated All-State linebacker Lareko Burton. This could be a re-building year for us. 

But, I have confidence that Coach Kirby will field a competitive team. We may have a surprise or two in our bag of tricks.

I knew you would see it.  I just wanted to see what you would say.  I definitely wouldn't bet the farm on that prediction.

You're not fooling me.  Everybody knows that Covington doesn't rebuild.  They reload!  I'm sure the Chargers will be as tough as ever.

Will the quarterback be the 2nd string quarterback who got injured in the Milan game last year?  As for a running back, I know CHS will have some "Flowers" to give to Haywood and other opponents again this year.

https://covingtonleader.com/sports/monster-night-from-flowers-propels-covington-past-haywood-in-brownsville/

Edited by stacmot

39 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I knew you would see it.  I just wanted to see what you would say.  I definitely wouldn't bet the farm on that prediction.

You're not fooling me.  Everybody knows that Covington doesn't rebuild.  They reload!  I'm sure the Chargers will be as tough as ever.

Will the quarterback be the 2nd string quarterback who got injured in the Milan game last year?  As for a running back, I know CHS will have some "Flowers" to give to Haywood and other opponents again this year.

https://covingtonleader.com/sports/monster-night-from-flowers-propels-covington-past-haywood-in-brownsville/

Well, the Dowell kid is the one to watch at running back this coming year. He showed me a lot of speed last year, and took up the slack while Hayes was injured. Flowers did have a huge night against y'all in that game last year. It was by far his best game all year.