Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

54 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Haywood has added Lake County in week 2 if I am correct. One more game to fill.

Welcome back.  I haven't seen you post in a while.

According to Coach T, Haywood has 3 open spots (August 20, August 27, and September 24).  The Lake Co. game is listed for Oct. 7th.

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=222&sportid=1&seasonid=374

I know one of those spots will have to remain an open date since we can't play 11 regular season games. However, if we only have to get one more game to fill the schedule, who are we playing in one of the other open spots?

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

Welcome back.  I haven't seen you post in a while.

According to Coach T, Haywood has 3 open spots (August 20, August 27, and September 24).  The Lake Co. game is listed for Oct. 7th.

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=222&sportid=1&seasonid=374

I know one of those spots will have to remain an open date since we can't play 11 regular season games. However, if we only have to get one more game to fill the schedule, who are we playing in one of the other open spots?

The five region games plus Melrose, Lake County, Lexington and Covington. I believe Melrose is Sept. 24 and Lake County is week 2. One game to go from what I've been told.

20 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, the Dowell kid is the one to watch at running back this coming year. He showed me a lot of speed last year, and took up the slack while Hayes was injured. Flowers did have a huge night against y'all in that game last year. It was by far his best game all year.

We’ll have to be on the look out for Mr. Dowell.   

I guess J.R. and Mr. Flowers found our Achilles heel that night!  You know that with the exception of the Haywood game, I’ll be pulling for the Chargers. 

3 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Problem with Haywood scheduling issues is that they relied with North Side in playing each year as a non region game. Kudos to Covington for stepping in and playing us both. Haywood could’ve scheduled Dyersburg, but the Trojans are content with playing 4 scrimmage games before their game with county foe, Dyer County.

Haywood is Dyersburg's oldest rival (90 games since 1913).  However, I was not surprised at their refusal to play us.  They have done that in the past.

Haywood and Ripley are only 19 miles apart.  We are each other's oldest rival (96 games since 1914).  I have to say that I was somewhat surprised by their refusal to play us.  

Fun Facts:

Dyersburg's head coach, Bart Stowe, was the head coach at Haywood from 2001-2008.  He had a 55-40 record while coaching the Tomcats.

Haywood currently leads the series with Dyersburg 57-33-0. (I did not count last season's Covid win.)

Haywood currently leads the series with Ripley 62-30-4.

Here's a bit of history about Haywood and your North Side Indians:

Haywood and North Side have met 33 times since 1965. Haywood leads the series 21-12.  The first game in the series was a cliffhanger.  Haywood won 27-26.  (Haywood took the lead with 1:51 left in the game.  North Side took the ensuing kickoff at their 33 and drove the ball to Haywood's 6 yard line.  The Indians attempted a 16 yard field goal with 4 seconds left, but the kick was no good.) That bit of info comes from "100 Years of Haywood Tomcat Football" by Dr. Robert Rooks.  

Edited by stacmot

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 10:22 PM, ManOfMillions said:

I know this, SGC and Haywood have surely played some barn burners over the past couple of years! the game @ SGC in 2019 is the greatest high school football game I have ever watched, called, or been a part of. 

Flashback Friday! 

Since SGC and Haywood will be region 7-4A rivals this year, I decided to go back and watch the stream of that 2019 game.  For me, it was a better option than watching  the 52-35 whipping the Hornets put on the Tomcats in 2020.

It was a great game, and it's the only win Haywood has had against South Gibson.   SGC holds a 3-1 lead in the series with the Tomcats.  

Not many West Tennessee teams can claim a series lead over Haywood, so I hope the Tomcats can start picking away at that lead this year.    

Other than Haywood's kicker, I don't know if any of the players who played in that classic game will be returning in 2021. 

If you're interested in watching Haywood's winning drive.  Here's the link

http://tncitylinktv.com/archive/sgc-vs-haywood-co-09-27-19/

The winning drive starts at about the 3:04:23 mark.  It may take a while to download, but if you click on play while it's downloading I think you can get it to work.  At least it did for me.

As a side note, I think SGC's announcer did a pretty good job!  

Edited by stacmot

21 hours ago, stacmot said:

Flashback Friday! 

Since SGC and Haywood will be region 7-4A rivals this year, I decided to go back and watch the stream of that 2019 game.  For me, it was a better option than watching  the 52-35 whipping the Hornets put on the Tomcats in 2020.

It was a great game, and it's the only win Haywood has had against South Gibson.   SGC holds a 3-1 lead in the series with the Tomcats.  

Not many West Tennessee teams can claim a series lead over Haywood, so I hope the Tomcats can start picking away at that lead this year.    

Other than Haywood's kicker, I don't know if any of the players who played in that classic game will be returning in 2021. 

If you're interested in watching Haywood's winning drive.  Here's the link

http://tncitylinktv.com/archive/sgc-vs-haywood-co-09-27-19/

The winning drive starts at about the 3:04:23 mark.  It may take a while to download, but if you click on play while it's downloading I think you can get it to work.  At least it did for me.

As a side note, I think SGC's announcer did a pretty good job!  

The South Gibson radio guy is a big sissy!!!  @ManOfMillions

In early February the Jackson Sun published an article by Michael Odom entitled, "Top 5 Jackson Area High School Football Prospects Signing in The Class of 2022."  Three of those prospects play for teams in Region 7-4A:  A.J. Barham (Milan),  Anthony Brown (Milan), Jaylen Lewis (Haywood).  I hope to see some good football out of these three in 2021.  

The other two players were Kaydin Pope (Hardin Co, Region 6-4A), and Ty Simpson (Westview, Region 7-2A). I hope to see some good football out of these two as well.

19 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

... Next years Dawgs will be bigger, faster and stronger...

BPM...You told me earlier in this thread that Milan would be slow and might have difficulty fielding a team.  Then, I read the above statement in another thread.

So, Milan will have TWO prospects in the Jackson area Top 5, and the Dawgs will be bigger, faster, and stronger in 2021. You've been sandbagging me big guy!  Milan will be loaded and will definitely be the favorite to win Region 7-4A.  I hope the rest of us can compete.

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

In early February the Jackson Sun published an article by Michael Odom entitled, "Top 5 Jackson Area High School Football Prospects Signing in The Class of 2022."  Three of those prospects play for teams in Region 7-4A:  A.J. Barham (Milan),  Anthony Brown (Milan), Jaylen Lewis (Haywood).  I hope to see some good football out of these three in 2021.  

The other two players were Kaydin Pope (Hardin Co, Region 6-4A), and Ty Simpson (Westview, Region 7-2A). I hope to see some good football out of these two as well.

BPM...You told me earlier in this thread that Milan would be slow and might have difficulty fielding a team.  Then, I read the above statement in another thread.

So, Milan will have TWO prospects in the Jackson area Top 5, and the Dawgs will be bigger, faster, and stronger in 2021. You've been sandbagging me big guy!  Milan will be loaded and will definitely be the favorite to win Region 7-4A.  I hope the rest of us can compete.

Doesn’t matter how flat you make a pancake there is always two sides. Yes the boys that are returning will be bigger, faster and stronger than this past year. But will the new starters stepping in be bigger, faster and stronger than the starters that graduated?  That is yet to be seen. Let me say this. Yes we will have a good team. How good is yet to be seen. 

40 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Doesn’t matter how flat you make a pancake there is always two sides. Yes the boys that are returning will be bigger, faster and stronger than this past year. But will the new starters stepping in be bigger, faster and stronger than the starters that graduated?  That is yet to be seen. Let me say this. Yes we will have a good team. How good is yet to be seen. 

We already know!