Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

On 3/20/2021 at 9:41 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t think that is disrespectful at all in regards to 7-4A. Sounds logical. I would put it Haywood, Milan, South Gibson and Crockett with North Side having a chance at 4th. I just believe that Haywood has proven themselves when it matters most in the layoffs the last several years and has made it to the semis or finals the last 5 years. Plus they bring back probably the best lineman in the region in Cameron Douglas and Jaylen Lewis is a stud. Milan is going to be very good and brings back a lot. But I just can’t put them over Haywood until it’s proven when it counts. I can see a scenario where the top 3 all beat each other and there is a 3 way tie in the region. In that case overall record would come into play and south gibsons tough schedule could bite them. 

in region 6-4A I think the top two will definitely be Lexington and Hardin Co. you two will have the best two players in the region in McClaine and Pope. But even though those will be the best two players the teams still have question marks. Lexington was senior heavy in the trenches so will the blocking be as good for McClaine as it was last year. And as you mentioned who will throw the ball to Pope?  Big questions but I still like you two at the top. 

Great post! I can not subtract, or add much to it myself. 

The coming SGC schedule could be blessing or a curse! 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:41 AM, Tigersandcats said:

6-4A in my opinion 

Lexington, Hardin County, South Side, McNairy Central. I hope I’m wrong on this one. But I think with Mclaine running the ball, that Lexington will be at the top. Hardin should be good but be starting new QB and RB. May take time to get the O clicking. Think SS will have more athletes on the field than McNairy. 

7/4A stout 

i don’t know enough about who lost what and what they have to step to fill the voids left by there senior leaders. But if I went off last year which you can’t do, because every year everyone team is different. Haywood has struggled with SG. SG has struggled with Milan. So based on that I would have to say Milan, SG, Haywood and I would stick Crockett in the 4th position. That probably seems disrespectful to Haywood. They’ve been the best in the west in 4-A along with Springfield for a while. But I think they could just as well be the number one team in this region. That’s how close I think this region will be. Please nobody take offense I got respect for all these teams. 

I'm pretty much in agreement with you T&C.  In 6-4A, I would have put McNairy at third and South Side 4th.  I'm just basing that on how horrible South Side looked against Haywood last year.  I don't really know anything about McNairy, but you do.

I believe if Milan and SGC had competed in Region 7-4A last year they would have finished 1 and 2.  So again, I'm pretty much in agreement with you as far as 7-4A is concerned.  I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I don't see Haywood finishing any better than 3rd.  The Tomcats have some great athletes returning, and I hear they have some good athletes stepping up, but we'll just have to see how they fare as the season progresses.  North Side and Crockett might surprise us all.

Like you, I'm basing most of my thoughts on last year's results, but one thing is for sure... Haywood has got to get some of the mouthing, unforced errors, and senseless penalties under control if they have any hope of finishing at the top of the region.

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

I'm pretty much in agreement with you T&C.  In 6-4A, I would have put McNairy at third and South Side 4th.  I'm just basing that on how horrible South Side looked against Haywood last year.  I don't really know anything about McNairy, but you do.

I believe if Milan and SGC had competed in Region 7-4A last year they would have finished 1 and 2.  So again, I'm pretty much in agreement with you as far as 7-4A is concerned.  I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I don't see Haywood finishing any better than 3rd.  The Tomcats have some great athletes returning, and I hear they have some good athletes stepping up, but we'll just have to see how they fare as the season progresses.  North Side and Crockett might surprise us all.

Like you, I'm basing most of my thoughts on last year's results, but one thing is for sure... Haywood has got to get some of the mouthing, unforced errors, and senseless penalties under control if they have any hope of finishing at the top of the region.

If, my memory serves me correct, our game in the 2019 season Haywood had a bunch of silly penalties. This was coach Smiths first year. The last game we played, had penalties, but it didn't think it was as many as 2019 season. I think y'all have a great coach. 

1 minute ago, ManOfMillions said:

If, my memory serves me correct, our game in the 2019 season Haywood had a bunch of silly penalties. This was coach Smiths first year. The last game we played, had penalties, but it didn't think it was as many as 2019 season. I think y'all have a great coach. 

I agree.  I think we have a great coaching staff, and I think they have done a good job of controlling some of those penalty problems, but the problem still rears its ugly head every now and then.  We could have lost the semifinal game against Lexington when a rogue player attempted to block a punt.  The players had been instructed not to attempt to block the punt and to steer clear of the punter, but this player thought he knew better.  The ensuing roughing the kicker penalty gave Lexington another chance to win the game.

5 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I agree.  I think we have a great coaching staff, and I think they have done a good job of controlling some of those penalty problems, but the problem still rears its ugly head every now and then.  We could have lost the semifinal game against Lexington when a rogue player attempted to block a punt.  The players had been instructed not to attempt to block the punt and to steer clear of the punter, but this player thought he knew better.  The ensuing roughing the kicker penalty gave Lexington another chance to win the game.

Yikes~!~!  I'm sure he got an old fashioned tongue lashing for that stunt! 

11 hours ago, stacmot said:

I think y’all have the athletes and the coaching to win this region, and have the track record of winning big games. I never would have mentioned it u til you brought it up, but the games I’ve watched if have seen some undisciplined things as well that will hurt your chances to win games. But I really think some of it is really good athletes being a little over zealous trying to make a play for there team. But I expect y’all to reload as usual and be right there in the hunt for that region title.think this will be one of the top regions in the state. Really looking forward to see how 7-4A shakes out.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:48 PM, Tigersandcats said:

I think y’all have the athletes and the coaching to win this region, and have the track record of winning big games. I never would have mentioned it u til you brought it up, but the games I’ve watched if have seen some undisciplined things as well that will hurt your chances to win games. But I really think some of it is really good athletes being a little over zealous trying to make a play for there team. But I expect y’all to reload as usual and be right there in the hunt for that region title.think this will be one of the top regions in the state. Really looking forward to see how 7-4A shakes out.

It will be a dandy for sure! I can promise you that!..

I think everyone agrees on the top 3 teams in the region... I think Crockett is a lock for the 4th spot. I have too much respect for the coaches and the culture there not to give it to them. This is all thought, but I am just being honest. We are going to be grouped together for at least 2 more years so we shall see where the chips fall. 

Also, I think playing in such a nasty region helps prepare the best team in that region for the playoffs. This has been proven time and time again. IMO! 

4A is new to us to so we will see how things shake out. 

Is it football season yet? 

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but I did not know Coach Decker at Obion Central had resigned.

https://tnhighschoolfootball.com/paul-decker-resigns-six-seasons-obion-county/

I just heard about it this morning. Will be hard for a new coach to come in and get wins in this region Quick success will probably not happen. The right guy will need support for the long haul in order to right that ship. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but I did not know Coach Decker at Obion Central had resigned.

https://tnhighschoolfootball.com/paul-decker-resigns-six-seasons-obion-county/

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I just heard about it this morning. Will be hard for a new coach to come in and get wins in this region Quick success will probably not happen. The right guy will need support for the long haul in order to right that ship. 

I know nothing about Obion. I’m yalls opinion is it a coaching issue or the lack of talent, or both?

45 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

I know nothing about Obion. I’m yalls opinion is it a coaching issue or the lack of talent, or both?

I really don't feel confident in saying that it is a coaching issue or talent.  However, Obion doesn't have a strong tradition as far as football is concerned.  The Rebs have played 61 seasons and finished with a winning record in only 19 of those seasons. Their overall record is 213-385-8 for a winning percentage of 36%.  They have made the playoffs 14 times and have only advanced as far as the second round 3 times.  

http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/teampage.asp?Team=Obion County Central

I agree with BPM, "The right guy will need support for the long haul in order to right that ship."

Edited by stacmot