Most Appealing Job?

FuzzyFootballs44

32 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Yes. They had to pay a hefty price to get him, but they can afford it. He may now be the highest paid high school coach in the nation. 

If you will indulge me, there is a long, but very interesting story here. 7 years ago when the very successful Coach Rayvan Teague retired at Carrollton, Joey King was his OC. The community and players wanted King to get the job, but the school board was reluctant to give such a high profile job to someone with no HC experience. They went on to hire veteran Coach Ed Dudley from South Georgia. Meanwhile, nearby powerhouse Cartersville took a chance and hired King as HC. Two years later, after the worst two year stretch in Carrollton football history, Dudley resigned in lieu of termination. Meanwhile, Cartersville won the state championship in King’s 2nd year. Carrollton put together a massive financial package to try and lure King back, but he turned them down and went on to win another state title the following season. Carrollton then turned to (get this) a coach with no HC experience when they hired Rush Propst’s OC Sean Calhoun. In 5 seasons Calhoun lost in the quarterfinals 5 times. That won’t get it at Carrollton. Plus, the situation between him and the AD had deteriorated to the point where one had to go. It came to a head during the first game this season when the two had to be separated by asst. coaches on the sideline during the game. They had another major run-in the week before their quarterfinal loss. When the Vestevia Hills, Al. Job opened, Calhoun took it and got out just prior to being dismissed. Determined not to lose out on King this time, they reportedly will pay him in the $200,000 neighborhood. King, who was now on the staff at South Florida Univ., accepted Carrollton’s offer on Monday. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, BooWhoWiseMan said:

If things were how you see it and I don't really disagree the. Coaches should be hired to coach period.  No teaching, etc. just coach and build the program

Then there needs to be programs outside of the public school realm that do that.

Money for education shouldn't go to pay a person "just to coach". There are plenty of coaches (in whatever major sport that school is good in) that already don't teach much and get paid a "teachers" salary, stipend, and something from the booster club. 

I mean I know of places where the football coach was a "PE teacher" but the other coach (some minor sport) did combined classes while the football coach watched film all day then he had a few weight lifting classes at the end of the day. Some of them "teach" 1-2 Drivers Ed classes then study hall for the rest of the day. 

Public education funds should not be used for anything other than programs that benefit the school and student body as a whole.

8 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Then there needs to be programs outside of the public school realm that do that.

Money for education shouldn't go to pay a person "just to coach". There are plenty of coaches (in whatever major sport that school is good in) that already don't teach much and get paid a "teachers" salary, stipend, and something from the booster club. 

I mean I know of places where the football coach was a "PE teacher" but the other coach (some minor sport) did combined classes while the football coach watched film all day then he had a few weight lifting classes at the end of the day. Some of them "teach" 1-2 Drivers Ed classes then study hall for the rest of the day. 

Public education funds should not be used for anything other than programs that benefit the school and student body as a whole.

Tax dollars primarily are used for just that. Curious if  you would agree that any monies made by that athletic team should stay solely with that program? Most folks would agree that Football is the bell cow when it comes to monies raised during the year through attendance, merchandising and media.  So if the football team brings in 200k in ticket sales they should get to hold on to all of it...instead of offsetting the cost for highly anticipated underwater basket weaving ? My  family for generations has had teaching for the vast majority as their profession, so I get paying teachers to teach.  However, If you are tasked with a job of bringing in  80% of the revenue generated  for your company, I don't believe you would want to do that at the same pay the guy that shows up and sharpens pencils all day.  You have a skill set that the person teaching lunch line etiquette doesn't.  

1 hour ago, Blaze45 said:

Tax dollars primarily are used for just that. Curious if  you would agree that any monies made by that athletic team should stay solely with that program? Most folks would agree that Football is the bell cow when it comes to monies raised during the year through attendance, merchandising and media.  So if the football team brings in 200k in ticket sales they should get to hold on to all of it...instead of offsetting the cost for highly anticipated underwater basket weaving ? My  family for generations has had teaching for the vast majority as their profession, so I get paying teachers to teach.  However, If you are tasked with a job of bringing in  80% of the revenue generated  for your company, I don't believe you would want to do that at the same pay the guy that shows up and sharpens pencils all day.  You have a skill set that the person teaching lunch line etiquette doesn't.  

TRUE

4 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

There is no high school football program in TN that brings in the amount of money that it takes to run a whole school.

Football is also a very expensive sport compared to some others. A lot of players, a lot of equipment, a lot of coaches, 

The problem is not that other sports don't make money. A sport like bowling never will. There are federal laws in place , Title IX that force schools to offer equal sports. That's is where that comes in the majority of the time. 

Plus, there are plenty of people that have a vast knowledge of the game of football and could coach but they're either "not the guy" or they actually want something more for the kids than to use them to pad a coaches resume with wins so they don't get hired. I've seen too many "good coaches" that care nothing about the players they coach after they're gone. Unfortunately, that is more common place lately than before. 

High school sports has a different purpose other than to win. However, our society thinks that winning is all that matters. Break the rules, waste money, who cares as long as we win 10-12 games a season? Let young men destroy their bodies in HS with no chance of going to the next level just so a coach can say he was a winner or be Al Bundy in 15 years? 

57 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

There is no high school football program in TN that brings in the amount of money that it takes to run a whole school.

Football is also a very expensive sport compared to some others. A lot of players, a lot of equipment, a lot of coaches, 

The problem is not that other sports don't make money. A sport like bowling never will. There are federal laws in place , Title IX that force schools to offer equal sports. That's is where that comes in the majority of the time. 

Plus, there are plenty of people that have a vast knowledge of the game of football and could coach but they're either "not the guy" or they actually want something more for the kids than to use them to pad a coaches resume with wins so they don't get hired. I've seen too many "good coaches" that care nothing about the players they coach after they're gone. Unfortunately, that is more common place lately than before. 

High school sports has a different purpose other than to win. However, our society thinks that winning is all that matters. Break the rules, waste money, who cares as long as we win 10-12 games a season? Let young men destroy their bodies in HS with no chance of going to the next level just so a coach can say he was a winner or be Al Bundy in 15 years? 

Agreed there is more to life than winning 10-12 football games, like winning attitude in life ... like,  you don't get what you don't work for... like,  no you don't all get capri suns, a snack and a trophy....point I am making will continue to make is there is a price ... financially , physically. emotionally  to be great at anything.... just like being a great pianist, artist, doctor , lawyer... it takes sacrifice  and I disagree, ,,,you can't just take any coach/teacher  and get great results. If you could, kids would be excited to read Catcher in the Rye, do geometry....And if it takes the coach to tell the kid he is a winner, you need to look at the coach they have their home life.... that's what great coaches bring out,,, belief in ones self.. Mom and Dad need to cultivate the same. 

Edited by Blaze45

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

Football and basketball finance all other sports. Title 9 has nothing to do with that. Title 9 is about offering equal opportunities. The money aspect simply put, takes a percentage of football money and gives it to other non-revenue sports .... different percentages in different schools.

I agree that high school sports are about much more than winning ,but if you don't win, then you don't have a job. I have known coaches to stand their moral ground and lose games because of it and they are no longer head coaches...... unfortunate but true. Winning cures all.

Question: does hs football really fund other hs activities or does it raise the most money because it costs the most OR both? The stories I hear are about other sports costing some serious cash that they raise on their own. “Sure, we got a badminton team. Leave a  400$ check with Mr Shuttlecock in room 222.”

29 minutes ago, strongx said:

Question: does hs football really fund other hs activities or does it raise the most money because it costs the most OR both? The stories I hear are about other sports costing some serious cash that they raise on their own. “Sure, we got a badminton team. Leave a  400$ check with Mr Shuttlecock in room 222.”

Well think about this.... Turf field cost about 750k installed .. its not financed, but paid for by donors, sponsors, fundraisers, advertising spots... How much is paid for by soccer, band, track very little if any... so yes football brings in the most money....not to mention sports wear and merchandising or concessions..... and yes they help offset the cost of some other sports. 

21 hours ago, 422PT said:

Football and basketball finance all other sports. Title 9 has nothing to do with that. Title 9 is about offering equal opportunities. The money aspect simply put, takes a percentage of football money and gives it to other non-revenue sports .... different percentages in different schools.

I agree that high school sports are about much more than winning ,but if you don't win, then you don't have a job. I have known coaches to stand their moral ground and lose games because of it and they are no longer head coaches...... unfortunate but true. Winning cures all.

Without football and basketball providing the money for other sports could schools have volleyball and softball teams? That's where Title IX comes in. If a school only offered boys basketball then they would have to offer a girls sport too. 

Can't have equal opportunity if the other opportunity doesn't fund itself.