Will the new Vols coach help the smaller schools?

Narco

On 2/4/2021 at 8:30 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

That part is true. However, I don’t think kids in Tennessee would want to be apart of a “rebuilding program” when they can go to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma and win.

Think about this, this high school kids were born in the years of 2002-2005/2006 I believe. What Tennessee team has been good since, let’s say, 2002?

That's UTs biggest problem right now. Irrelevancy. On the bright side the right coach can be a cure-all. Is JH the right coach? Idk we'll see.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:32 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

I keep seeing people say that and yeah I'd agree but I don't think JH means just run the program with Tennessee kids. Imo he just means if UT stops letting the Tee Higgins Amari Rodgers Master Teague type guys leave home they'll be in better shape.

You ain't changing anybody's mind on this issue Cartman... on either side. If I were hired tomorrow, I'd take the same approach. "Lock down" my home state, where the kids (for the most part) have some affiliation with the team from an early age and you should have the edge... then go get those kids who fit your approach and the "no brainers" that everyone wants.

8 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You ain't changing anybody's mind on this issue Cartman... on either side. If I were hired tomorrow, I'd take the same approach. "Lock down" my home state, where the kids (for the most part) have some affiliation with the team from an early age and you should have the edge... then go get those kids who fit your approach and the "no brainers" that everyone wants.

Heupel has to generate some excitement much like Kiffin did at Ole Miss last season and recruiting will take off, IMO. Kids are tired of hearing “we are going to be good tommorow” .Time to start competing today, Pruitt’s offense and handling of QB’s was worth being fired. Worse coached offense in the country bar none. Heupel needs to hit the accelerator on both sides of the ball and coach aggressive. Coaching scared is the reason we are where we are today.

35 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

God forbid anyone have a nuanced thought process! You're supposed to draw a line in the sand a pick a side lol

On 2/5/2021 at 10:23 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Taylor Groves from East Robertson High School just committed to Michigan. A small town school kid (and a school with absolutely no football tradition to speak of) going to a Power 5 big name school.

If you really can play the colleges know it.

Which blows my mind! I am happy for the kid and obviously there is something there I'm not seeing but Watertown had 4 players that were much better then him and TC had 2 for sure maybe more... I've never understood the hype around him but hey he's playing at the next level! 

2 hours ago, GBO52 said:

Which blows my mind! I am happy for the kid and obviously there is something there I'm not seeing but Watertown had 4 players that were much better then him and TC had 2 for sure maybe more... I've never understood the hype around him but hey he's playing at the next level! 

I’m guessing that he has the size speed and grades. You have to have all three and performance is not as much of a factor. They look for players they can develop. They can’t make you taller or run a 4.4. I’m guessing the Watertown players were missing one of the three or more than one of those attributes. A couple of tenths in your 40 could be the difference in d1 or not getting offers. The same for height 

35 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

I’m guessing that he has the size speed and grades. You have to have all three and performance is not as much of a factor. They look for players they can develop. They can’t make you taller or run a 4.4. I’m guessing the Watertown players were missing one of the three or more than one of those attributes. A couple of tenths in your 40 could be the difference in d1 or not getting offers. The same for height 

One of our kids was affected by grades and is taking the Juco route and I have no doubt if he can keep developing / keep his grades up then he will be playing D1. 

Im not sure which direction the other kids are going, but I think both have the potential to do big things wherever they go.

Tennessee has had a run of top 10 recruiting classes during this down period of bad coaching hires. Doesn't matter where you finish in the recruiting rankings if can't develop those players. As far as having something to sell them, Great recruiters can sell water to a fish. Saban, Meyer, Smart, and Fisher didn't have much to sell at the beginning (with the exclusion of Meyer at OSU) except a vision of where they want the program to be in the next 3 to 4 years. JH's track record in recruiting doesn't give me a lot of hope if I am a Tennessee fan. You can win and be a competitive team with a good head coach that develops his talent, but if you are going to make it out of the SEC, you need the Jimmys and Joes to go with it. 

I think there will always be some small town kids that will get passed over, just comes with the territory.