Shot clock

UTRok

11 minutes ago, UTRok said:

8 states currently use the shot clock. NFHS has received a few proposals for shot clock use in high school basketball. Would having a shot clock not require a game plan and strategy?

Shot clock is only way for strategy? I thought all teams had a game plan regardless of clock. 

warmachine is exactly right... the loser of a 6-4 game has no reason to complain because it's within their power to avoid that type of game. Speeding up the game isn't hard, it's setting the tempo while benefiting from it that's a challenge. I've witnessed two games played in this manner with similar scores, and it was because both teams settled to play that way, not because one held the ball and the other couldn't change it.

11 hours ago, ecu said:

Shot clock is only way for strategy? I thought all teams had a game plan regardless of clock. 

So with this type thinking, taking a knee in football is no longer allowed. Every team must continue to throw the ball every down so  the other team will have a chance to catch up? You guys only see things through one side. That is why unbiased people make the rules.

7 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

So with this type thinking, taking a knee in football is no longer allowed. Every team must continue to throw the ball every down so  the other team will have a chance to catch up? You guys only see things through one side. That is why unbiased people make the rules.

There is already a play clock in football.

3 hours ago, UTRok said:

There is already a play clock in football.

But you don't have to relinquish possession of the ball.

In basketball  a shot clock requires you to give up possesion. Without it, If the defense guards you closely you have to move the ball either by dribble or pass. The clock doesn't stop in basketball like it does on pass plays. Defense can force a turnover. They just don't want to have to work that hard. The easy way to stop a stall is to steal the ball and get the lead. Not sit back and cry and let them just hold it.

No different than football. You want the ball go get it.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

59 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

But you don't have to relinquish possession of the ball.

In basketball  a shot clock requires you to give up possesion. Without it, If the defense guards you closely you have to move the ball either by dribble or pass. The clock doesn't stop in basketball like it does on pass plays. Defense can force a turnover. They just don't want to have to work that hard. The easy way to stop a stall is to steal the ball and get the lead. Not sit back and cry and let them just hold it.

No different than football. You want the ball go get it.

Everything you said can also be said with the shot clock. Clock doesn't stop but it does reset in certain situations. With the clock the defense must guard you all the time or give up easy baskets. I think the only reason it's not being used is the cost associated with it. 

2 hours ago, UTRok said:

Everything you said can also be said with the shot clock. Clock doesn't stop but it does reset in certain situations. With the clock the defense must guard you all the time or give up easy baskets. I think the only reason it's not being used is the cost associated with it. 

I can tell you from the side of those that would approve it for use, the need for an operator is the bigger factor. You cannot do both the normal clock and the shot clock together. That would be a giant cluster.

30 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I can tell you from the side of those that would approve it for use, the need for an operator is the bigger factor. You cannot do both the normal clock and the shot clock together. That would be a giant cluster.

Yes I would like to see it in use. Agree the cost and operator is a large challenge. I would think there would be little disruption in most high school games but it would take some getting used to. Don't see it happening anytime soon.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, UTRok said:

8 states currently use the shot clock. NFHS has received a few proposals for shot clock use in high school basketball. Would having a shot clock not require a game plan and strategy?

I coached (assistant) in South Korea for 2 years on a military base. We have a 40 sec shot clock. 

How many times in 2 years did I see a shot clock violation? Absolutley 0. Why? Because it creates an uneeded urgency to shoot the ball quickly. We, nor teams we played, ever came close to using it. We never payed attention to it. We never talked about it in practice, I don't even think our head coach told the players.