Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

17 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Milan has been down since 2008 when they made a nice run and won the Silver Ball. 

They've had some talented athletes come thru since then, but have still struggled to develop them. I know in both boys and girls they've lost some kids to West Carroll. Someone will need to come in and change the culture. It will take a specific type of coach to do well there. Finding the right person won't be easy.

54 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

They've had some talented athletes come thru since then, but have still struggled to develop them. I know in both boys and girls they've lost some kids to West Carroll. Someone will need to come in and change the culture. It will take a specific type of coach to do well there. Finding the right person won't be easy.

The culture is one thing that really helps Gibson County and Westview. Think a coach has to take charge and have camps and off season play days and tournaments for Middle School, Jr. High and High School. If I am doing the hiring you have to find coaches that love winning and are in love with the sport and live it 24/7 365 and don’t treat it like a job and are full of energy. Kids will catch on or will be left behind and will have to play catch up. Lots of kids play travel softball and baseball year round and parents wonder why their kids don’t get more minutes on the hardwood. A handful of kids can get away with it because they are just great athletes but give me a coach that wants to have them in the gym year round working on their game and conditioning. The South Gibson job I bet will generate interest. 

8 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

The culture is one thing that really helps Gibson County and Westview. Think a coach has to take charge and have camps and off season play days and tournaments for Middle School, Jr. High and High School. If I am doing the hiring you have to find coaches that love winning and are in love with the sport and live it 24/7 365 and don’t treat it like a job and are full of energy. Kids will catch on or will be left behind and will have to play catch up. Lots of kids play travel softball and baseball year round and parents wonder why their kids don’t get more minutes on the hardwood. A handful of kids can get away with it because they are just great athletes but give me a coach that wants to have them in the gym year round working on their game and conditioning. The South Gibson job I bet will generate interest. 

What happened to Dancy?

Just now, warmachine7954 said:

Didn't he leave Haywood and take over the boy's and girl's at Milan a few years ago? 

I knew he was boys. He might have been girls too. I hadn’t seen Milan play in a few years. They have been down on the girls side. Boys had a great Jr. High Program a couple of seasons ago.

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I knew he was boys. He might have been girls too. I hadn’t seen Milan play in a few years. They have been down on the girls side. Boys had a great Jr. High Program a couple of seasons ago.

Yes he coached both girls and boys program. I believe he won a  boys state title at Haywood a few years back.

2 minutes ago, Dash said:

Yes he coached both girls and boys program. I believe he won a  boys state title at Haywood a few years back.

I heard some rumblings a month or two ago that he was going to be gone. Not sure if he left on his own accord or was pushed out. Think it is probably better for both parties to go in a different direction, just based on what I've seen the last few seasons.

31 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Agreed. Culture goes a long way. If you have a coach that can get kids to play hard, sacrifice and play selfless, you can compete with just about anyone. Agreed that a lot of development has to happen before kids get to high school too. Have to build a program, not just a team. 

South Gibson, currently, is better setup for success. They've got a lot of talent there, but they need the culture fixed, too. The right coach could turn them into something special. Milan job would be a more long-term rebuild. They have the athletes that come thru the school, just need to develop them. They aren't getting any help next few years with what they've got at the middle school, unless they really focus on developing that talent. 

Milan is a good example of what happens when culture goes by the wayside. You can't afford to let culture slip away, because talent won't always be there. Once talent goes away, if you don't have the culture there to develop what you do have, you are sunk. One big reason why South Gibson needs to make the right hire this offseason. They have the talent now and need to capitalize on getting the culture built while they have a chance of success.