Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

26 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I knew he was boys. He might have been girls too. I hadn’t seen Milan play in a few years. They have been down on the girls side. Boys had a great Jr. High Program a couple of seasons ago.

15 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

I heard some rumblings a month or two ago that he was going to be gone. Not sure if he left on his own accord or was pushed out. Think it is probably better for both parties to go in a different direction, just based on what I've seen the last few seasons.

Milan Mirror article says he stepped down. Interview with him made it sound as if it was a mutual decision to part ways. He said he hasn't applied anywhere else, but plans to continue coaching.

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

Agreed. Culture goes a long way. If you have a coach that can get kids to play hard, sacrifice and play selfless, you can compete with just about anyone. Agreed that a lot of development has to happen before kids get to high school too. Have to build a program, not just a team. 

South Gibson, currently, is better setup for success. They've got a lot of talent there, but they need the culture fixed, too. The right coach could turn them into something special. Milan job would be a more long-term rebuild. They have the athletes that come thru the school, just need to develop them. They aren't getting any help next few years with what they've got at the middle school, unless they really focus on developing that talent. 

Milan is a good example of what happens when culture goes by the wayside. You can't afford to let culture slip away, because talent won't always be there. Once talent goes away, if you don't have the culture there to develop what you do have, you are sunk. One big reason why South Gibson needs to make the right hire this offseason. They have the talent now and need to capitalize on getting the culture built while they have a chance of success.

I agree 110% on South Gibson’s culture. They hired Jeremy Vonner and that was a step in the right direction but they need a Wilkins type Haskins type personality that will change the culture 110% to be the head man or woman. They need a big time personality with a ton of energy that knows the game, loves the game and wants to be in the gym 365 days a year. A cousin hire with just being a cousin of the boss will not be good. 

Edited by pioneer42

36 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree 110% on South Gibson’s culture. They hired Jeremy Vonner and that was a step in the right direction but they need a Wilkins type Haskins type personality that will change the culture 110% to be the head man or woman. They need a big time personality with a ton of energy that knows the game, loves the game and wants to be in the gym 365 days a year. A cousin hire with just being a cousin of the boss will not be good. 

We'll see what happens. I assume the job will draw at least some interest. Hopefully they make a good choice with whoever they hire.

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

We'll see what happens. I assume the job will draw at least some interest. Hopefully they make a good choice with whoever they hire.

It drew lots of interest last time. Culture has to be changed to be in conversations with the Gibson County’s, Westview’s and South Side’s of the world. Do think South Gibson has the money to build a strong program even if it ruffles some feathers. Not that they weren’t getting somewhat on the right track because they have done pretty good the last couple of years just have to really go in Nick Saban style to compete for state championships because there are many other programs that are in Nick Saban style now.

Edited by pioneer42

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

It drew lots of interest last time. Culture has to be changed to be in conversations with the Gibson County’s, Westview’s and South Side’s of the world. Do think South Gibson has the money to build a strong program even if it ruffles some feathers. Not that they weren’t getting somewhat on the right track because they have done pretty good the last couple of years just have to really go in Nick Saban style to compete for state championships because there are many other programs that are in Nick Saban style now.

They've had a good crop of young talent come that has performed well early in their high school careers. Now it is focusing that talent in the right direction and making sure you nurture it toward accomplishing something special. They have a long way to go to join the conversation of the teams you mentioned, but it is a place that it can happen with the right person at the helm. 

No clue what direction their leadership is planning on going there. Middle school program has done really well, would be really interesting to see what could be done with her getting four years of those kids instead of two. But, who knows what other coaches apply. Could have a clear home run coach apply and it'd be impossible to not give them the job. They'll have at least a few interesting options, I'm sure.

19 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

They've had a good crop of young talent come that has performed well early in their high school careers. Now it is focusing that talent in the right direction and making sure you nurture it toward accomplishing something special. They have a long way to go to join the conversation of the teams you mentioned, but it is a place that it can happen with the right person at the helm. 

No clue what direction their leadership is planning on going there. Middle school program has done really well, would be really interesting to see what could be done with her getting four years of those kids instead of two. But, who knows what other coaches apply. Could have a clear home run coach apply and it'd be impossible to not give them the job. They'll have at least a few interesting options, I'm sure.

Middle school program has done well and she will be interviewed for sure. Never know who might apply. Mark Wilkins I was told interviewed for girls job last time and didn’t get it and he got the boys job a little while after because boys coach took another job. I know other big names applied last time as well. I know they have a ways to go to get state championship good like you said but I believe the ingredients are there with a high energy, very fundamental no nonsense hire. We see what Wilkins done at McKenzie this year in just one year and we have seen what Huntington’s program has done. Who will apply is the $100,000 question?? South Gibson has a high demand real estate market as well. I would be shocked if they didn’t have some big names apply. Ingredients are there. Who they will hire is anyone’s guess. Never know.

14 hours ago, Dash said:

So he’s going to be the coach at the new JCM? Girls and Boys?

I saw they just hired a football coach, so they are definitely working on getting positions filled. I'd assume he'd go coach boys somewhere, as the girls was added on to him after the fact at Milan. Coaching both is tough. 

6 hours ago, TennesseeValley said:

I've heard that a Dyer County assistant has been name dropped for the South Gibson girls position. I don't know much about him though.

Kayla Hudson I would have thought would have applied because she lives in Medina. Not sure on that though. Heard she turned down the Greenfield job last spring. 

Edited by pioneer42

Dancy is heading to JCM to be the boys coach. No one would want to take the JCM girls job simply due to the fact all the "talent" is heading to south Jackson to be with McNeal. McNeal will continue to run the girls basketball in Jackson until he decides not to run the show. North Side and USJ has not filled their positions as well. It's unclear who North Side will get, it's not posted on the TSSAA bulletin board. Recently, Indians went after the "buddy buddy" system over past few hirings.

• Like 1