South Side vs Westview (7-AA region title)

dmm88

1 hour ago, sportslover88 said:

Were you at the same game I was? "We didn't press 1 time last night!" is not a true statement. Jada was guarded full court the entire time. You also started out the game in a 2-2-1 press but then came out of it. You may not have ran your normal press or whatever you are referring to but Westview was guarded man to man full court the majority of the game last night

We didn’t press! We did play man full court! It’s a difference! It’s was man not a press! Look at the film, like I said we never pressed! 

4 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

If Westview can get over the scared factor playing South Side at South Side then it will be a good game but if they come out shaky then South Side will run away with it. I still say South Side will win it though. No not making the trip with this one due to the limited tickets and no online sales of them

Oh ok cool

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The Memphis association for refs worked football games even though Shelby Co schools didn’t play football. Milan vs Pearl Cohn semis was Memphis refs. Some of the suburbs in Memphis played football just like some are playing basketball so the officials are still working. Don’t know if they did this game just saying they are working. 

I talked to a few refs from Memphis! There are a few working the schools that are playing in Memphis but are not traveling to do region like they normally do! It’s due to Covid is what I am saying! All the refs are calling within their districts, not traveling like normal is my point! That person didn’t know what they was talking about 

2 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

We didn’t press! We did play man full court! It’s a difference! It’s was man not a press! Look at the film, like I said we never pressed! 

Okay I see what you are saying now. However you did start out in a 2-2-1 but wasn't in it for long because Westview broke it easily. In my eyes, if you are guarding full court then you are pressing but I see what you are considering a press

Just now, sportslover88 said:

Okay I see what you are saying now. However you did start out in a 2-2-1 but wasn't in it for long because Westview broke it easily. In my eyes, if you are guarding full court then you are pressing but I see what you are considering a press

Oh no! A press is when you have a zone to cover. It will be multiple people on you . It never was but 1 person on them last night. We switch that up for whatever reason! We normally do a 2-2-1 press that traps out of it & it has been very successful! We didn’t do it once last night

15 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Oh no! A press is when you have a zone to cover. It will be multiple people on you . It never was but 1 person on them last night. We switch that up for whatever reason! We normally do a 2-2-1 press that traps out of it & it has been very successful! We didn’t do it once last night

I would agree. I like the trapping. We run a man to man press some and it is mainly to aggrevate the other team, but it isn’t as effective as the trapping when it is working.  I can see why Brent wasn’t trapping as much. Jada and Westview are tall much like Loretto and it can hurt you if not effective because if Jada throws over the top they are in a 2 on 1 in transition a lot of times. Jada is a great player. We played them at UTM camp two summers ago before she even played a varsity game in season and she put up about 20 on us and beat us by 15 or so. I knew right then she was going to be a big problem for opponents in the state.

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

The only reason is because you’re in the weakest substate in the tournament. I watched the game. Only way y’all score is fast break off press and post. No outside game whatsoever. Now having said that the press is pretty darn good and so is the inside game so SS is no joke. They are definitely a good team but not championship material like the boys are. 

So what do you think?? You think Westview and South Side can match up with York and Macon?? Upperman getting knocked out was definitely a shocker. 

53 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I talked to a few refs from Memphis! There are a few working the schools that are playing in Memphis but are not traveling to do region like they normally do! It’s due to Covid is what I am saying! All the refs are calling within their districts, not traveling like normal is my point! That person didn’t know what they was talking about 

Is this just a basketball thing?  I know Memphis refs worked that Milan football game. I don’t really follow basketball so can’t speak to what they are doing now. 

10 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Is this just a basketball thing?  I know Memphis refs worked that Milan football game. I don’t really follow basketball so can’t speak to what they are doing now

I

1 hour ago, HawkGuy06 said:

We had Memphis refs last year in Region at GC and were very shaky. We went to Memphis the last two years and refs were pretty good. Last night I think we had local refs and they were awful. Micah got two fouls on her where she wasn’t even around the ball. Refs were just calling fouls and the first player they seen they issued the foul. Terrible. When you get a bad crew it starts effecting the mentality of the players. I will say this. No way in world would I want to go to Memphis this year and play an experienced MAHS team where fans might be limited. Memphis teams are not a cakewalk I will assure you.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

I

We had Memphis refs last year in Region at GC and were very shaky. We went to Memphis the last two years and refs were pretty good. Last night I think we had local refs and they were awful. Micah got two fouls on her where she wasn’t even around the ball. Refs were just calling fouls and the first player they seen they issued the foul. Terrible. When you get a bad crew it starts effecting the mentality of the players. I will say this. No way in world would I want to go to Memphis this year and play an experienced MAHS team where fans might be limited. Memphis teams are not a cakewalk I will assure you.

Can confirm that the officials at the GC/Peabody game last night were local. One is a newer guy, but have seen him a couple times this year. Another one has been around a long time and is normally not very good. Another has been around quite a while too, and is normally one of the better ones. 

I watched the last quarter and overtime online, and it's hard on the stream to tell if calls are good or bad. I do know there were a lot of calls down the stretch and it really slowed down the game. 

Edited by SportsWestTN

15 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Can confirm that the officials at the GC/Peabody game last night were local. One is a newer guy, but have seen him a couple times this year. Another one has been around a long time and is normally not very good. Another has been around quite a while too, and is normally one of the better ones. 

I watched the last quarter and overtime online, and it's hard on the stream to tell if calls are good or bad. I do know there were a lot of calls down the stretch and it really slowed down the game. 

They were just not consistent at all. Seemed like every call on both sides was a blocking foul. They didn’t call obvious charges and it was both ways. They called fouls on both teams where both players were hammered and everyone was moving on the offense. They got into both teams head obviously. They would call fouls and choose a number. Very frustrating game with the officials. Both ways. Nobody is happy when you get officials that really don’t need to be out there. BABABA hit the nail on the head. Bad crew for a championship game of the Region. 

Edited by pioneer42

37 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

They were just not consistent at all. Seemed like every call on both sides was a blocking foul. They didn’t call obvious charges and it was both ways. They called fouls on both teams where both players were hammered and everyone was moving on the offense. They got into both teams head obviously. They would call fouls and choose a number. Very frustrating game with the officials. Both ways. Nobody is happy when you get officials that really don’t need to be out there. BABABA hit the nail on the head. Bad crew for a championship game of the Region. 

I never have a problem with a ref being horrible! Just be horrible on both ends not just on one side! 

• Like 1