Jackie Pope...Oak Ridge Legend dies.

Maybe the Greatest Oak Ridge Athlete Jackie Pope passed away last week. Jackie played for the Wildcats in the mid to late 50's.

In order to understand what a great football stud Jackie was is to know one stat.  In 1958, he rushed for over 17 yards per carry leading Oak Ridge to be named Tennessee State Champions and National Champions.

Mr. Pope was just as great a person as he was an athlete. After a very successful College career he settled down in Oak Ridge and became an inspirational leader to many young Oak Ridgers. 

He will be remembered and always missed. My prayers go out to Jackie and his family plus all those he inspired. RIPand RWR!

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 6:24 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

Condolences to the Wildcat Nation.  

Thanks Old Dad. Classy as always.

Why is this thread not more active? Mr. Pope was an All-American / GOAT athlete and All-American / Human. On Facebook, it was said Jackie found time to talk to everybody in high school. His accomplishments never went to his head.

I sure hope David Clary is able to turn some of Jackie's films into a video format. I'll send him a message and ask him if he is trying.

Have a Blessed Easter Weekend Brothers and Sisters. RWR and RGR ( Roll God Roll )!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, SweetScience said:

Wow!What a great Obit for what sounds like one heck of a person and Athlete.I love the part where playing for his town was his favorite time.Great role model.Thx SS for sharing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

Legendary for sure - as well as being a wonderful person!!!  
Does anyone know why he left UT for MTSU?

It talks about that in this article about Jackie from years ago, before his induction into the Tennessee Sports Hall Of Fame. Apparently there were a lot of talented running backs on the Vols team, and there just wasn’t enough playing time to go around for all of them. It was probably the best choice for Jackie, because as that article states, the single wing had become an offense of the past and defenses had figured it out, and UT was still running it, but MTSU had moved on from it, which ended up benefiting him in the long run. He was such an amazing guy. A great player, yes, but just a salt of the earth, humble type of man. And he had every reason to be cocky, too. 17.2 yards a carry is insane, I don’t care what time period it was. He makes me proud to be an Oak Ridger.

https://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/tailback-jackie-pope-paved-way-for-perfect-season-at-oak-ridge-in-1958-ep-408261485-358677851.html/?gnt-mobile

Edited by SweetScience
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

It talks about that in this article about Jackie from years ago, before his induction into the Tennessee Sports Hall Of Fame. Apparently there were a lot of talented running backs on the Vols team, and there just wasn’t enough playing time to go around for all of them. It was probably the best choice for Jackie, because as that article states, the single wing had become an offense of the past and defenses had figured it out, and UT was still running it, but MTSU had moved on from it, which ended up benefiting him in the long run. He was such an amazing guy. A great player, yes, but just a salt of the earth, humble type of man. And he had every reason to be cocky, too. 17.2 yards a carry is insane, I don’t care what time period it was. He makes me proud to be an Oak Ridger.

https://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/tailback-jackie-pope-paved-way-for-perfect-season-at-oak-ridge-in-1958-ep-408261485-358677851.html/?gnt-mobile

Super post SS. One of the best!

• Thanks 1

My knowledge about Oak Ridge and the past have been from articles out of old newspapers which are online. Oak Ridge is a pretty simple read because old papers started keeping better track of all the games about the time their school was started. Buist Warren was an assistant at Knoxville High at one time before the war and learned in order to be the big dog you went out and scheduled the toughest around even if you had to go out of state to fine those teams. Jack Armstrong had already made a name for himself at LaFollette High then gave up that job to be under Warren and carried on the same game plan. The days when Jackie Pope was at Oak Ridge was the best no doubt from what I've read. Armstrong from what I've read was ready to take on the world and go out of state for a national championship game in which the school board refused and really took the wind out of his sail. I've read papers telling of crowds up to twelve thousand to see Oak Ridge and Chattanooga City during that time and now very few are left to tell about it. Most young people care less about all that stuff which is very very sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

My knowledge about Oak Ridge and the past have been from articles out of old newspapers which are online. Oak Ridge is a pretty simple read because old papers started keeping better track of all the games about the time their school was started. Buist Warren was an assistant at Knoxville High at one time before the war and learned in order to be the big dog you went out and scheduled the toughest around even if you had to go out of state to fine those teams. Jack Armstrong had already made a name for himself at LaFollette High then gave up that job to be under Warren and carried on the same game plan. The days when Jackie Pope was at Oak Ridge was the best no doubt from what I've read. Armstrong from what I've read was ready to take on the world and go out of state for a national championship game in which the school board refused and really took the wind out of his sail. I've read papers telling of crowds up to twelve thousand to see Oak Ridge and Chattanooga City during that time and now very few are left to tell about it. Most young people care less about all that stuff which is very very sad.

Spot on about all of that, Barney. Actually, I heard there were 14,000 @ that OR/Chattanooga Central game in ‘58. Two legendary coaches going at it. (Etter & Armstrong). And you’re right, Cactus Jack never backed down from a challenge. Pretty incredible that that ‘58 team had 7 guys end up playing in the SEC off of it.  A Golden era of Oak Ridge sports, as the article I posted above about Jackie talks about.

Edited by SweetScience