Dobyns-Bennett 2021Offseason

DBKPT93

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

I live in Kingsport have for nearly 40 years, I've probably paid city taxes since before you were born. I am a sports fan. I have sat many nights at J. Fred (rain, cold, snow) and watched DB constanlty blow leads and get out coached. My opinions are observation based during that time frame, if you don't like it don't respond to it. You would never talk to a person like that to their face so keyboard warrior on and DB has never even come close to sniffing a State Championship in the last 20 years. DB has had great players but just one or two at a time never the 6-8 you need to compete. And there are no chickens in Ridgefields! But they feed chicken in Greene County and 10 state titles later, maybe you should be more like them instead of worrying about Virginia..

LOL! I never said anything in my post that I wouldn't say to your face. You sound a little jumpy for a old man. I didn't like what you said and that's the reason I did respond. That's the way it works. Boy Ridgefields has gone down hill hasn't it. Maybe you have been to many DB games but you must be a heavy drinker because you don't have a clue about DB, players or coaches. You tell me not to worry about Virginia after you're the one that brought it up. And after I pointed out that Gate City is not a team you would want to use to compare DB to. They have won 5 games total in the past 4 years and just lost at home to a team in Feb. that only dressed out 17 players and brought along about 24 fans. I still say you're a Gate City homer. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

13 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

LOL! I never said anything in my post that I wouldn't say to your face. You sound a little jumpy for a old man. I didn't like what you said and that's the reason I did respond. That's the way it works. Boy Ridgefields has gone down hill hasn't it. Maybe you have been to many DB games but you must be a heavy drinker because you don't have a clue about DB, players or coaches. You tell me not to worry about Virginia after you're the one that brought it up. And after I pointed out that Gate City is not a team you would want to use to compare DB to. They have won 5 games total in the past 4 years and just lost at home to a team in Feb. that only dressed out 17 players and brought along about 24 fans. I still say you're a Gate City homer. 

I don't drink, never have and don't need too! Football is cyclical and always seems to cycle back so don't stick a fork in a down program too soon. I love your enthusiasm for DB but DB football right now is what DB football will always be and has been. Brilliant regular seasons and crushing disappointment every post season and you being delusional will never change that. DB fans live in a world of if's and but's and constant excuses and that my friend is stone cold fact! Ridgefields is fine I will probably see you mowing yards there while I am playing golf! Peace out!

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

I don't drink, never have and don't need too! Football is cyclical and always seems to cycle back so don't stick a fork in a down program too soon. I love your enthusiasm for DB but DB football right now is what DB football will always be and has been. Brilliant regular seasons and crushing disappointment every post season and you being delusional will never change that. DB fans live in a world of if's and but's and constant excuses and that my friend is stone cold fact! Ridgefields is fine I will probably see you mowing yards there while I am playing golf! Peace out!

Oh okay, So Gate City is just down and will cycle back to undefeated seasons but DB will never win a state championship.  You are truly gifted to know the future. I'm thinking you don't know very much about high school football in the area and you're just winging it for the argument. If you did you would have never used Gate City to compare DB to. I'm thinking you're just another DB hater which is typical for people in this area who didn't go to school there.  You said DB has never had the athletes to win a state championship. You're wrong.  Just off the top of my head, '98, 2000, 2002, 2012, and at least a couple more years DB was loaded. They just had a head coach that went brain dead in big games and couldn't call a play. 

Peace out! lol

Since this thread seems to be steering towards state championships....   I have long said that 5A and 6A in NET is not really serious about a state title.      If you look at what 4A Greeneville and Elizabethton have done the past few years, well that is what it takes.     Now don't get me wrong, 5A/6A still has very passionate fans and even players and coaches, but I do not see any evidence that suggests a state title is being pursued.     Just the thoughts of a crazy old guy, maybe you guys see something I don't, if so then please share because ultimately we are all here to exchange ideas and learn.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Since this thread seems to be steering towards state championships....   I have long said that 5A and 6A in NET is not really serious about a state title.      If you look at what 4A Greeneville and Elizabethton have done the past few years, well that is what it takes.     Now don't get me wrong, 5A/6A still has very passionate fans and even players and coaches, but I do not see any evidence that suggests a state title is being pursued.     Just the thoughts of a crazy old guy, maybe you guys see something I don't, if so then please share because ultimately we are all here to exchange ideas and learn.

I'll take a stab at it. Everybody was saying the same thing about 4A Greeneville and Elizabethton not that long ago. You remember when it was "all of North East Tn. that didn't have the athletes to actually win a state championship".  That's you included blazer. You were not just saying 5A and 6A. So you don't sit around and wait for a good group of athletes to show up for varsity try outs. You build the athletes from little leagues on up. And before you start that system you put together a good coaching staff that's more interested in developing players than they are about their own ego. It's a simple thing. At DB and Science Hill they have been to caught up in the buddy system. There's nothing wrong with hiring a buddy or friend to your staff if he's also a good coach but that's not been the case to many times. You can be a really good guy and not be a very good coach you know. I know many people have given their opinion on the little league programs in the Kingsport area. I don't know if they have done anything to improve it in the past two years but I do know it's been really bad for what seems like forever. Anybody can watch a varsity game and see all the mistakes and penalties. That's a direct result of very poor coaching in the little leagues and middle school. Sometimes I think it would be better to just do away with little league football. At least the varsity coaches wouldn't have to waste half their time trying to coach out bad habits. The folks at Maryville will sit there and tell you exactly why their football team is so good every single year. There's no big hidden secret to what they do. They don't fill the field with D1 players. They fill the field with well coached players. Greeneville and Elizabethton has followed that same system. It's a no brainer at this point. DB has most of the pieces to the puzzle in place. But there's two pieces they need to solve the puzzle. Get better coaches in the little leagues and middle school, and figure out how to defend against the pass. They find those two pieces and they'll win a state championship.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Everyone wants to win a state championship from the smallest schools on up.Yes it would be very nice to see DB do it . That said, nomatter what school you pull for,go out and support those young men this year if your able.Facts are that very few will become champions this year or during their time in high school.Many of those young men will  work just as hard year around as those who are lucky enough to be on a title team .They deserve the support of their fans just the same. Goodness knows, I seen it first hand as a parent of Indians who could have won championships if their old man had stayed in his home town. They worked just as hard here as they would have there .Does it make them or any of us who never played on a championship team any less of a person. No, it just means that all the parts were not in place and never will be for most schools. Nobody can sit here and say DB will never get it done.The sands can shift just as easy the other way for my old school and Elizabethton with changes in what schools play in their classification.Nothing last forever and maybe things will fall the Tribes way in the coming years.

• 3 weeks later...

So we all know that DB is going to be down after graduating 20 starters, but could we safely say the Tribe still starts out 5-0?

Aug. 20 @ Tennessee   
Aug. 27 Volunteer   
Sep. 3  @ Morristown East
Sep. 10 David Crockett   
Sep. 17 West Ridge
Sep. 24 @ Greeneville     (UH-OH !!!.....)
Oct. 1 Jefferson County
Oct. 15 @ William Blount
Oct. 22 @ Oak Ridge   
Oct. 29 Science Hill

On 6/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, blazer1set said:

So we all know that DB is going to be down after graduating 20 starters, but could we safely say the Tribe still starts out 5-0?

Aug. 20 @ Tennessee   
Aug. 27 Volunteer   
Sep. 3  @ Morristown East
Sep. 10 David Crockett   
Sep. 17 West Ridge
Sep. 24 @ Greeneville     (UH-OH !!!.....)
Oct. 1 Jefferson County
Oct. 15 @ William Blount
Oct. 22 @ Oak Ridge   
Oct. 29 Science Hill

Crockett will beat DB

20 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I know it doesn't work this way, but last year's Crockett team would beat this year's DB team.

Possibly Blazer. I remember coming up to Kingsport with my ( Devil ) teammates and laying the hurt on the Tribe in a scrimmage one year.DB won most of their games that year and we ended up being terrible because of a young ( O ) and then a beat up  ( D ). Nothing is in stone when it comes to East Tennessee sports unless it's that school RR pulls for and they are playing most any team in this part of the state.

• Like 1