Favorites in Class A

thetruth1

Hope this thread is headed back to it's intended purpose now, discussing who will be among the Best in Class A for the 21-22 season. That's the information I want to know. Debating the best ever has been done before, belongs in its own thread, and stirs a lot of passion. I wouldn't say any fan group has tunnel vision about their team but most all are inherently biased toward their school.

Greatest or best ever is such a subjective term. Different people quantify their opinions based on different criteria. To some it's the number of future collegiate players and the school's they go to. Others look at number of wins and strength of schedule. To some it's whether they captured the gold ball. An argument can be made for all of the teams that have been mentioned. I would also agree it's impossible to compare teams from different eras. Tess and Edie Darby have had so many more opportunities than their mother's teams did at Bradford. It doesn't make modern necessarily "better" but more "seasoned."

I've had the blessing of broadcasting games of all of the teams from West Tennessee mentioned in this thread. The Heather Butler led teams at Gibson Co. were loaded and benefited from two of the best coaches ever, Kevin McMillan & David Russell. They had some epic battles with really good Westview teams, however that was AA and this debate was about Class A. The Bradford-Gleason rivalry of the 1990's was really special. I would tend to agree with GBO that the 96' Gleason team may have been arguably Randy Frazier's best. I got to call Lake County's upset win at the "Devils Den" in South Fulton and it was a shocker. So some of the greatest didn't even make it to Murfreesboro. The recent Greenfield teams were very successful and might have been even more if some things had been different.

I look forward to being back on the sidelines this season after sitting out last year. I'm excited about how the new classifications will create some new rivalries and matchups and allow us to see some new teams. Members, keep sharing about your teams for the upcoming season.

Edited by NWhoopaholic
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Hope this thread is headed back to it's intended purpose now, discussing who will be among the Best in Class A for the 21-22 season. That's the information I want to know. Debating the best ever has been done before, belongs in its own thread, and stirs a lot of passion. I wouldn't say any fan group has tunnel vision about their team but most all are inherently biased toward their school.

Greatest or best ever is such a subjective term. Different people quantify their opinions based on different criteria. To some it's the number of future collegiate players and the school's they go to. Others look at number of wins and strength of schedule. To some it's whether they captured the gold ball. An argument can be made for all of the teams that have been mentioned. I would also agree it's impossible to compare teams from different eras. Tess and Edie Darby have had so many more opportunities than their mother's teams did at Bradford. It doesn't make modern necessarily "better" but more "seasoned."

I've had the blessing of broadcasting games of all of the teams from West Tennessee mentioned in this thread. The Heather Butler led teams at Gibson Co. were loaded and benefited from two of the best coaches ever, Kevin McMillan & David Russell. They had some epic battles with really good Westview teams, however that was AA and this debate was about Class A. The Bradford-Gleason rivalry of the 1990's was really special. I would tend to agree with GBO that the 96' Gleason team may have been arguably Randy Frazier's best. I got to call Lake County's upset win at the "Devils Den" in South Fulton and it was a shocker. So some of the greatest didn't even make it to Murfreesboro. The recent Greenfield teams were very successful and might have been even more some things been different.

I look forward to being back on the sidelines this season after sitting out last year. I'm excited about how the new classifications will create some new rivalries and matchups and allow us to see some new teams. Members, keep sharing about your teams for the upcoming season.

Yes, happy to return to a conversation about this year. And, I do think Greenfield and McKenzie will be really tough. I love seeing the Class A trophy come back to West TN, especially northwest TN and hope to see it brought back again this year!

Amazing that you called that game! The loss to Lake County at SF with such a loaded team was absolutely heartbreaking for Gleason fans, especially given a non-foul call at half court when Ashley Mc was clobbered. But, that's how the cookie crumbles. That team was loaded and had beaten Bradford by 20+ each time we played - something that never happened in that rivalry. But Bradford was the '96 state champs, not Gleason. That's why we play the games. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GoBigOrange20 said:

Yes, happy to return to a conversation about this year. And, I do think Greenfield and McKenzie will be really tough. I love seeing the Class A trophy come back to West TN, especially northwest TN and hope to see it brought back again this year!

Amazing that you called that game! The loss to Lake County at SF with such a loaded team was absolutely heartbreaking for Gleason fans, especially given a non-foul call at half court when Ashley Mc was clobbered. But, that's how the cookie crumbles. That team was loaded and had beaten Bradford by 20+ each time we played - something that never happened in that rivalry. But Bradford was the '96 state champs, not Gleason. That's why we play the games. 

Gleason and Greenfield will have some battles this year. Gleason will be tough and top 5 or 6 in the state, IMO. Two of their girls Anderson and I can’t think of the other played on Madison Hart’s AAU team. Very good players. Will be interesting to watch these two teams.

Edited by pioneer42

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Lot on first page of this thread. Says they lost a good post, but should be a good team. Wayne County was tough during the Kelsey Risner years.

I saw film on them vs Richland last year. They looked good. They were scrappy and played hard. I think they have a good coach who pushes that.

It seems like McKenzie is head and shoulders above everyone else and then there are a lot of teams fighting to join that top tier. I haven’t seen McKenzie in person. Who would you compare them to from last year’s elite single A teams. I saw Clarkrange last year and they were special. Is McKenzie that good?

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Gleason and Greenfield will have some battles this year. Gleason will be tough and top 5 or 6 in the state, IMO. Two of their girls Anderson and I can’t think of the other played on Madison Hart’s AAU team. Very good players. Will be interesting to watch these two teams.

I think it was Carrington Lifsey. 

5 hours ago, Richmond30 said:

I saw film on them vs Richland last year. They looked good. They were scrappy and played hard. I think they have a good coach who pushes that.

It seems like McKenzie is head and shoulders above everyone else and then there are a lot of teams fighting to join that top tier. I haven’t seen McKenzie in person. Who would you compare them to from last year’s elite single A teams. I saw Clarkrange last year and they were special. Is McKenzie that good?

McKenzie plays like Gibson County. They just don’t have the dominant post play but are loaded every where else. They play similar to Clarkrange’s team last year but not quite as quick but are really skilled with athletes that can shoot the lights out. McKenzie’s coach is our coach’s son. They play 94 feet and press you to death. Try to create space and attack the rim and kick out for threes. Play fast. They weren’t as good as Clarkrange last year but I would give McKenzie the edge this year. Post play is the question mark. Really good team but as we all know there will be challengers. Across the river North Green if they get their post Brookland Anderson back they will be tough as will Clay County and I have heard Wayne County is good. Gleason and Greenfield will also be tough and MAHS in Memphis will be good in West TN.

2 hours ago, GoBigOrange20 said:

I think it was Carrington Lifsey. 

Yeah that is her. I was really impressed watching her finish and just her overall game. Gleason and Greenfield will be wars and will probably be toss up games, IMO. Both will be good. Do think Greenfield getting Alford will really help them and give Edie some much needed in the paint help. Gleason is well coached like Greenfield and will be tough as well. Anderson was the most improved player in West Tennessee I seen last year. Really solid player. 

• Like 1

I like the new classifications and the new district pairings are interesting.  The splits between west and middle Tennessee are more blurry in that Perry County and Frank Hughes are in a different district from Cwood and Wayne County (seems weird that Frank Hughes would be in a different district from teams within the same county considering they are all in the same classification).  So in that respect would Perry County now be considered west TN?

It appears that West Tenn is loaded with good teams especially McKenzie, Greenfield, and Gleason.  And earlier in the thread Wayne County, Huntland, and Moore County we’re mentioned as contending teams in middle TN.

I assume Clarkrange is a contender in East Tn as that is seemingly always the case.

On 7/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, Richmond30 said:

How good is Wayne Co and what makes them good?

I’ve been wondering about Wayne County as well.  I noticed the region game against Huntington was on NFHS network and WC had a huge lead in that one before Huntington came roaring back to win.  If WC has a lot coming back or some impact freshman, then I can see that team being a threat in the district and region.  Not sure though about how the matchups would go beyond that.

I also watched Collinwood on NFHS network and the PG seemed like a good player but heavily dependent upon the right hand.  She was effective though nonetheless.

I have no idea about any of the Maury County schools that are also in this district.

It just looks like all of these teams in this district or region would have to improve quite a bit to stay in the game with McKenzie in a potential substrate matchup.

6 hours ago, thetruth1 said:

I like the new classifications and the new district pairings are interesting.  The splits between west and middle Tennessee are more blurry in that Perry County and Frank Hughes are in a different district from Cwood and Wayne County (seems weird that Frank Hughes would be in a different district from teams within the same county considering they are all in the same classification).  So in that respect would Perry County now be considered west TN?

It appears that West Tenn is loaded with good teams especially McKenzie, Greenfield, and Gleason.  And earlier in the thread Wayne County, Huntland, and Moore County we’re mentioned as contending teams in middle TN.

I assume Clarkrange is a contender in East Tn as that is seemingly always the case.

Keep your eye on North Green especially if they get Anderson back. She is a game changer. Also Clay County. Clarkrange I would bet will be better later than earlier since they lost so many, but you have to think they be definitely competitive.