Favorites in Class A

thetruth1

13 hours ago, 1983 said:

Croppy, you got all this best ever stuff started lol, did you see all those Bradford and Gleason teams play?

No I did not. I saw a few tournament games but was for sure not an expert back in those days, was much more a boys fan back then. When I talk about teams I've seen it's probably in the last 10 years. Sure wish I had seen those teams play more. I like McKenzie team a lot. Reminds me of the team I played on

Little spicy in here lol but it's all good talk. No way would last year or this years McKenzie team would come within 20 points of beating Chloe/Tess Greenfield team's. That team had length, shooting, and a will to win that was unmatched. Now Gibson County teams against Greenfield, I'll stay out of that one lol

On 7/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, GoBigOrange20 said:

The 1999 Gleason team had 2 D1 players and all five starters played collegiate ball. That's a stacked team and I'd argue more talented than the Greenfield team. Same with those Bradford teams like 2000 - when two played D1at UTM and two went to Union to play for national championships. 

Oh me. You are comparing UTM and Union to the Lady Vols and Indiana and Eddie is going somewhere big time. You never see 3 girls that caliber from a small school going big time. Greenfield had a deep team their senior year with Biggs Peterson and Crouse so it wasn’t just 3 girls. Greenfield played defense so don’t go there  

The only girl you mentioned that played at a major school is Ashley Mcelhaney at Vanderbilt. Tennessee didn’t recruit Ashley and I don’t know why but they didn’t. I love those Gleason Bradford and Gibson County teams and pulled for all of them.  I followed them all to state and pulled for them. 
I really liked Michele Street and thought she was big time but their were no big time school offers. There’s nothing wrong with playing for Union or UTM. I followed both of them as well. Kayla Hudson was one of my favorite players off all time but she was a perfect fit for Coach Campbell at Union. I was so glad she went to Union when she signed. Coach Campbell is my favorite coach in the country barring none. Mark is much more than a coach he teaches values, morals and you are a family.  

Edited by Greenfieldfan

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Oh me. You are comparing UTM and Union to the Lady Vols and Indiana and Eddie is going somewhere big time. You never see 3 girls that caliber from a small school going big time. Greenfield had a deep team their senior year with Biggs Peterson and Crouse so it wasn’t just 3 girls. Greenfield played defense so don’t go there  

The only girl you mentioned that played at a major school is Ashley Mcelhaney at Vanderbilt. Tennessee didn’t recruit Ashley and I don’t know why but they didn’t. I love those Gleason Bradford and Gibson County teams and pulled for all of them.  I followed them all to state and pulled for them. 
I really liked Michele Street and thought she was big time but their were no big time school offers. There’s nothing wrong with playing for Union or UTM. I followed both of them as well. Kayla Hudson was one of my favorite players off all time but she was a perfect fit for Coach Campbell at Union. I was so glad she went to Union when she signed. Coach Campbell is my favorite coach in the country barring none.  

Absolutely, I am. We're talking about players that played 15-30 years ago. They didn't have access to unapproved website and youtube and twitter in order to sell themselves the way that players do now. And, I didn't say Greenfield didn't play defense. I said they were a great team. It's just my belief that - even with three potential division one players-  that they are not the best of all time.  Just my opinion and you have yours. There's no way to settle it so there's no sense in arguing. I just couldn't let another "Greenfield is the best team ever" post go by without acknowledging some really amazing teams from the Bradford-Gleason domination days. 

I have no dog in this fight and I don’t think you can ever accurately compare teams in different eras. Everyone thinks their hometown team is the best. I think the only thing that can be agreed upon is that they were all great teams who are worthy of being in the conversation for who is the best. The only team in this conversation that I saw in person was Greenfield in the 2019 state semifinals. They got beat by a Loretto team who flat out looked better than Greenfield that day and proved they were on the court. That Greenfield team included the 3 D1 players that keep getting referenced. They were not the best team ever in 1A that day. Loretto got beat by Gibson Co in the championship the next day. All 3 were great 1A teams as were all the others mentioned in this thread. 

16 hours ago, Richmond30 said:

I have no dog in this fight and I don’t think you can ever accurately compare teams in different eras. Everyone thinks their hometown team is the best. I think the only thing that can be agreed upon is that they were all great teams who are worthy of being in the conversation for who is the best. The only team in this conversation that I saw in person was Greenfield in the 2019 state semifinals. They got beat by a Loretto team who flat out looked better than Greenfield that day and proved they were on the court. That Greenfield team included the 3 D1 players that keep getting referenced. They were not the best team ever in 1A that day. Loretto got beat by Gibson Co in the championship the next day. All 3 were great 1A teams as were all the others mentioned in this thread. 

All three teams were loaded. Gibson County in 2015-2016 mowed through West TN undefeated and landed in Murfreesboro with the draw of Van Buren County, who had a Miss Basketball winner I believe, and was the representative who beat Jackson County who beat Clarkrange, and then we played defending champion Middleton who had a 70 game win streak and we played South Green, who had Taylor Lamb and a bunch of others. We lost 1 game and it was South Green and we led the game with a minute left but couldn’t hang on. In 1989 we lost on a last second shot to Cannon County who won the state. We had one of our best guards set the game out for religious reasons but were flat out loaded both of these years and didn’t win it. Just saying there have been outstanding teams in the past and some that didn’t win the Gold Ball. A lot of Greenfield Fans think their team is the best no matter what and have tunnel vision. Just the way it is.

Edited by pioneer42

6 hours ago, GoBigOrange20 said:

Absolutely, I am. We're talking about players that played 15-30 years ago. They didn't have access to unapproved website and youtube and twitter in order to sell themselves the way that players do now. And, I didn't say Greenfield didn't play defense. I said they were a great team. It's just my belief that - even with three potential division one players-  that they are not the best of all time.  Just my opinion and you have yours. There's no way to settle it so there's no sense in arguing. I just couldn't let another "Greenfield is the best team ever" post go by without acknowledging some really amazing teams from the Bradford-Gleason domination days. 

A lot of Greenfield Fans think there team is best team ever in the state. Have tunnel vision. 

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

All three teams were loaded. Gibson County in 2015-2016 mowed through West TN undefeated and landed in Murfreesboro with the draw of Van Buren County, who had a Miss Basketball winner I believe, and was the representative who beat Jackson County who beat Clarkrange, and then we played defending champion Middleton who had a 70 game win streak and we played South Green, who had Taylor Lamb and a bunch of others. We lost 1 game and it was South Green and we led the game with a minute left but couldn’t hang on. In 1989 we lost on a last second shot to Cannon County who won the state. We had one of our best guards set the game out for religious reasons but were flat out loaded both of these years and didn’t win it. A lot of Greenfield Fans think their team is the best no matter what and have tunnel vision. Just the way it is.

I personally think the Bradford team in 2000 was one of the best I have ever seen. However, these past Gibson and Greenfield teams are both pretty impressive in my opinion and will continue to be big power houses for more years to come. As well as Clarkrange who always seems to be relevant. Haven’t had a chance to see McKenzie but sounds like they’re pretty good this year as well. 

1 hour ago, baldeagle22 said:

I personally think the Bradford team in 2000 was one of the best I have ever seen. However, these past Gibson and Greenfield teams are both pretty impressive in my opinion and will continue to be big power houses for more years to come. As well as Clarkrange who always seems to be relevant. Haven’t had a chance to see McKenzie but sounds like they’re pretty good this year as well. 

I really thought North Greene would be in the mix this year to win it all but it sounds like McKenzie is going to be the favorite. That 2000 Bradford team beat NG really bad at the state tournament but the Greenfield team we ran into at the state tournament in 2020 was really, really good also. I agree it’s hard to compare teams from different eras, there have been many great teams over the years that belong in the conversation, all I know is that I’m ready for basketball season to be here soon.

1 minute ago, 99SportsFan said:

I really thought North Greene would be in the mix this year to win it all but it sounds like McKenzie is going to be the favorite. That 2000 Bradford team beat NG really bad at the state tournament but the Greenfield team we ran into at the state tournament in 2020 was really, really good also. I agree it’s hard to compare teams from different eras, there have been many great teams over the years that belong in the conversation, all I know is that I’m ready for basketball season to be here soon.

Actually that may have been 1999 that NG lost to Bradford.

58 minutes ago, 99SportsFan said:

We played North Green in Murfreesboro a couple of weeks ago and they are a good basketball team. If Brookland Anderson gets back they are in the top 3 in the state. She is that good. Their team is just a matchup problem because of their size and they are quicker than they look. Very good team. 

2 hours ago, baldeagle22 said:

Bradford had some outstanding basketball teams. They won it four out of five years and the year they didn’t win it Gleason won it.