Tha mightee Panthurs come two 825

STARSNBARS

17 minutes ago, HTV said:

Interesting that he said last night that it's down to UT, UGA, and The Aggies.  

So that means he's going to Alabama or Florida then. A month ago Tennessee wasn't in his top 10. That kid has been from high school to high school living out his daddy's dreams. I would bet my life that boy has to be more confused than a fart in a fan factory. The best defensive player I ever seen in this neck of the woods was Mike Cofer from Rule. He would line up on the defensive line and be in on the tackle of a wide receiver down the field on the same play. Seen him on 30 plus tackles against Maryville one night. Didn't see anything like that against Anderson County Friday Night. I did see his game pick up some in the second half since everyone had five minutes to rest in between plays due to everything that could possibly interrupt a game going on all night. That's why it's important for Maryville to run good quick plays one after the other and if Powell has a penalty don't let the refs waist time discussing it, decline it and move on. All the nonsense that went on last week in that second half let Powell back in that game. 

50 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

So that means he's going to Alabama or Florida then. A month ago Tennessee wasn't in his top 10. That kid has been from high school to high school living out his daddy's dreams. I would bet my life that boy has to be more confused than a fart in a fan factory. The best defensive player I ever seen in this neck of the woods was Mike Cofer from Rule. He would line up on the defensive line and be in on the tackle of a wide receiver down the field on the same play. Seen him on 30 plus tackles against Maryville one night. Didn't see anything like that against Anderson County Friday Night. I did see his game pick up some in the second half since everyone had five minutes to rest in between plays due to everything that could possibly interrupt a game going on all night. That's why it's important for Maryville to run good quick plays one after the other and if Powell has a penalty don't let the refs waist time discussing it, decline it and move on. All the nonsense that went on last week in that second half let Powell back in that game. 

Completely disagree with you.  He played well Friday. AC was running away from him all night, virtually eliminating half the field from their offensive play calling. He still ended up with really good numbers. Powell moving him all over the front 7 in the second half made a big difference in the game. 

We saw what he is really capable of on the last play when he flat tan thru/over 3 would be blockers and sacked Martinez.  

One may not like him or Powell,  and that's fine.  But he is very much on the field what he has been billed as. 

Cofer was a great player, but he played in an era where high school teams threw the football maybe 8-10 times per game.  You can't compare players from that era to players today. The game was completely different,  as hard as it is for us old guys to admit some times. 

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is a little of the history between the two teams They have met 43 times with the following results:

Maryville 38 5 Powell 

Maryville has an 88.4% winning percentage.

Total points scored in the series:

Maryville: 1,208 28.09 ppg

Powell:        342    7.9  ppg

Disclaimer: None of this matters tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

Here is a little of the history between the two teams They have met 43 times with the following results:

Maryville 38 5 Powell 

Maryville has an 88.4% winning percentage.

Total points scored in the series:

Maryville: 1,208 28.09 ppg

Powell:        342    7.9  ppg

Disclaimer: None of this matters tomorrow night.

I've got most of that stuff on an old laptop,  but I am too lazy to go look it up. 

When was Powell's last win over Maryville?   

Of coirse, it's been a while since anybody around here beat them. 

Just now, strongx said:

I can’t wait to see the big boy. If he is as good as the oldest Cofer, then murvil may be in trouble. The opening kickoff from back in the day was my biggest memory of him. Super freak!!

Comparing Nolen and cofer is an apples and bananas comparison. 

Cofer was 6'5" and 245 as an NFL player. In high school he was maybe 220 and a speed DE type guy. 

Nolen is 6'4" and well over 300 and is primarily a hand down DT.  

Totally different types of players.  

You’re right, it’s hard to compare different positions. Cofer is the best I remember seeing play at 825 regardless of position. There are probably several who would tie for 2nd. I think it was Central who had a stud RB 10-20 yrs ago that I remember. Competing against the big pal kid will be a good opportunity for the murvil kids. I look forward to a good game. It should make both teams better.

2 hours ago, HTV said:

I've got most of that stuff on an old laptop,  but I am too lazy to go look it up. 

When was Powell's last win over Maryville?   

Of coirse, it's been a while since anybody around here beat them. 

1977   7-10

1980    6-8

1993   14-24

1994   14-28

1996   17-21

Seen everyone of them. The one that really was an upset was the 77 game. The 1980 team had a hand full of bad eggs that pulled a really good team down and was why Wilson stepped aside the following year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The biggest thing I remember going to Powell all the time was the man who would fly that paraglider over beyond the visitor side all game long. Been a long time since we've been to Powell so I wonder if he is still around.

Nope. He crashed several years back and gave it up.