Rural West TN Top 12 (Outside Shelby Co)

10 minutes ago, Bulldog89 said:

I have not seen McKenzie play but they played Trenton tough last year. Is it just they seem to play them tough?

McKenzie is absolutely a tough team. First game they played last year was 35-21. Second game was the OT thriller. I think McKenzie and Peabody have been in the same region so long that they have become very familiar with each other. Usually they play twice a year. I think the fact that they won’t meet til playoffs definitely works in Peabody’s favor. 

16 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

McKenzie is absolutely a tough team. First game they played last year was 35-21. Second game was the OT thriller. I think McKenzie and Peabody have been in the same region so long that they have become very familiar with each other. Usually they play twice a year. I think the fact that they won’t meet til playoffs definitely works in Peabody’s favor. 

You know I have to agree with you on this one. The margin of victory could have been larger if it wasn’t for the refs and mistakes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I can’t argue where you have everyone now. I guess the two big question marks I see is South Gibson and Covington. How good really are they? Haven’t heard much about South Gibson this year but as much as a Milan fan hates to say it they just keep winning and will probably be right there in the end. For Covington we may not know until Dyersburg or playoffs with weak 3A in west.

• Upvote 1

Well, BPM, I don’t know much about teams not on Covington’s schedule, so I will rely on the “experts”. In this post, I ran through the Sonny-Moore power rankings and here is how he ranks those 12 teams:

1. Peabody

2. Covington

3. Henry County

4. Milan

5. Hardin Co.

6. Haywood

7. USJ

8. Dyer Cp.

9. S. Gibson

10. McKenzie

11. Westview

12. Dyersburg

2 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I also looked at Max-Preps. I know you will like this, BPM. Here is their list for your 12:

1. Milan

2. Peabody

3. Henry County

4. Covington

5. Haywood

6. westview

7. S. Gibson

8. Dyersburg

9. Hardin Co.

10. USJ

11. McKenzie

12. Dyer Co.

There are teams on both of the lists you posted  I feel are out of place. I could be wrong or they could be wrong. We shall see how it shakes out. 

6 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I also looked at Max-Preps. I know you will like this, BPM. Here is their list for your 12:

1. Milan

2. Peabody

3. Henry County

4. Covington

5. Haywood

6. westview

7. S. Gibson

8. Dyersburg

9. Hardin Co.

10. USJ

11. McKenzie

12. Dyer Co.

I acknowledge that I don’t know the criteria they use but this looks like evidence not to go by there ratings. I’m pretty sure unless I was dreaming that I watched Trenton beat Milan this past Friday.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

There are teams on both of the lists you posted  I feel are out of place. I could be wrong or they could be wrong. We shall see how it shakes out. 

Yeah, neither list rates Dyersburg very high. I notice that you did. I didn’t stay at the jamboree long enough to see them play this year. So did they show up well? I haven’t heard how that turned out, but didn’t they play Gibson County, the same team that was just pounded by Obion Co.?

Covington plays both Dyersburg and Haywood in the regular season, so you will be able to evaluate those three later in the year. I will never see most of those teams play. I wasn’t much impressed with USJ at the jamboree though.