WEEK 3: Powell @ Karns

keepitmoving

Can Powell bounce back from Maryville game?  They got a lot of guys dinged up in that game, and some will be missing this weeks game cause of it.  Can Powell some how find a defense?  They have gave up 100 points in the first 2 games of the year!  Powell's offense is always explosive, but can they outscore everyone they play?  

Defense is truly not very good. Still some confusion. Coaches were scrambling at times to get 11 players on the field for Powell and one time had  13.  One time they actually punted with 10 on the field.  Defense was getting bullied against Maryville. Powell outside defenders kept losing containment on runs. Saw some chewing out of players on the sidelines.  Still discipline problems.  Way too many penalties. The Maryville offensive linemen are motors.  They don't stop blocking until a little after the whisle blows.. The Rebels are a joy to watch.  No excessive celebrating or slicing the throat signs. Two key injuries too for Powell hurt them a lot.  Powell has a stable of recievers.  When #4 came out, I saw his replacement (#22) wide open several times but QB didn't throw his way. Didn't see that kid on offense after the third quarter. He played well against Anderson County.   Very fast and talented.  The best running back in the region will rush for 200 yards, he being Desean Bishop.  Karns throws, but not well.  My prediction is Powell beats Karns 60-19

Just from what little I've seen about Karns, this should be a little easier task for the PHS defense as Karns doesn't present the same multi dimensional threat that AC and Maryville has. If Karns doesn't have the ability to throw the ball, and Powell can load the box, that could leave some favorable numbers for the Panthers especially when you consider a double team will likely be coming at 99 all night. 

If I'm Powell, with the guys they have in the secondary, I would really be considering playing a lot of man coverage and making teams throw it to beat us. Noe and Vaughn both had HUGE nights against Powell, and neither one of them present the same challenge as the Bishop kid from Karns. 

Going to be interesting. Very one-sided series historically, but the Beavers are a confident group right now starting 2-0. If the Panthers aren't careful, the train could jump right off the tracks early.

Does Karns have the guys up front to give Bishop room to have a big night? Will Powell make some adjustments to find some answers in their run d? I think this one is going to be a whole lot closer than most of the games in this series have been.

Edited by JAG37849

54 minutes ago, HTV said:

The lack of an experienced DC is really showing right now.  That needs to be cleaned up and cleaned up in a hurry.  

This week could be another 100 point total game with the offensive firepower Karns has in the backfield.  

DeSean Bishop is a special player!

1 hour ago, HTV said:

The lack of an experienced DC is really showing right now.  That needs to be cleaned up and cleaned up in a hurry.  

This week could be another 100 point total game with the offensive firepower Karns has in the backfield.  

Couldn't agree more.  Lowe needs to take over the D, like NOW!  Not sure why the D is so bad considering most of the athletes that play on offense also start on defense.  Defense should have similar success?  The defense being so bad puts a lot of pressure on the offense to score EVERY time they get the ball.  Bishop may rush for 500 against Powell this Friday.....lol  I still think Powell wins convincingly by multiple TD's.  But man does Powell defense stink!   

38 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Couldn't agree more.  Lowe needs to take over the D, like NOW!  Not sure why the D is so bad considering most of the athletes that play on offense also start on defense.  Defense should have similar success?  The defense being so bad puts a lot of pressure on the offense to score EVERY time they get the ball.  Bishop may rush for 500 against Powell this Friday.....lol  I still think Powell wins convincingly by multiple TD's.  But man does Powell defense stink!   

Guys, I know folks seem to be in panic mode here, but Powell has just played 2 very good offenses. Yes the defense needs work, but how many high schools have balanced offenses with "very" good athletes like AC and Maryville? Stud running backs and passing games? You're not going to see many high schools that have both. Let's see what Karns can do with a "run only" offense. And the way things have played out so far in the region, I don't see a challenge, which gives them time to correct things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Guys, I know folks seem to be in panic mode here, but Powell has just played 2 very good offenses. Yes the defense needs work, but how many high schools have balanced offenses with "very" good athletes like AC and Maryville? Stud running backs and passing games? You're not going to see many high schools that have both. Let's see what Karns can do with a "run only" offense. And the way things have played out so far in the region, I don't see a challenge, which gives them time to correct things.

Powell is def. going to beat Karns by a lot......but don't sugar coat it, Powell's defense is so bad it's actually offensive.  lol  if any team, pee wee, NFL, NCAA, intermural, or what ever......could not make ANYONE punt the ball, it is a problem.  Not to mention they have 3 POWER 5 recruits on defense.  No excuses on giving up 100 points in 2 games....period!  Change needs to happen ASAP!   

20 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Powell is def. going to beat Karns by a lot......but don't sugar coat it, Powell's defense is so bad it's actually offensive.  lol  if any team, pee wee, NFL, NCAA, intermural, or what ever......could not make ANYONE punt the ball, it is a problem.  Not to mention they have 3 POWER 5 recruits on defense.  No excuses on giving up 100 points in 2 games....period!  Change needs to happen ASAP!   

I mentioned this in another thread, but the way Powell defends Bishop will determine if this team has any hope of making a playoff run this season. Everyone knows what Karns is going to do in this game. They are a one-trick pony. Bishop is going to touch the ball, a lot. They are going to spread Powell out as much as they can, and let Bishop do his thing.

We'll see if Powell can stop it.

I believe that Powell scores a lot of points and likely wins comfortably, but I just don't see them stopping Bishop, passing threat or not.  He likely won't get 360 on Powell, but he'll have a good night, IMO.  And it's a road game for Powell.  Karns people will turn out for this one. 

And an edit:  

As individually talented as Powell is, they can't make a deep run, much less win a state championship, until they get the defensive issues cleaned up and they stop the idiocy that are the unsportsmanlike and other stupid penalties.  If it takes sitting butts on the bench, that's what needs to happen. 

Edited by HTV
  • Like 2