Dobyns-Bennett at Oak Ridge

TribalEmpire

2 hours ago, FilmCzar said:

Witten is a great coach, no doubt about that. But... Joey is doing and has done a good a job as anybody coaching his ball club. I have seen it first hand.

Coach Christian has done a good job...especially this season! The last 2 seasons, very deep team and strong for the Indians and that was due in most part because of a fantastic class of boys that stuck together from young to graduation. Last 2 seasons made the Quarter Finals and then hit the Maryville road block.

Those guys are all gone and...coming into the season, DB had 3 players that had started a game and few others had any experience. I think now, this team will finish much stronger than I imagined earlier in the season. DB will play good against OR and I expect the Indians will win. Then, beat SH is the goal.

7 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

It wasn't because nobody wanted him. It was because they were to stupid to hire him. Since they passed him over he has won two state championships in a row and has only one loss this year. That loss was to #1 Greeneville.  Those "people" in the interviewing and hiring process should be fired, arrested and jailed without trial. 

Yes.Sir-Ree.

8 hours ago, edwardblake said:

Hard to blame anyone looking to leave OR. From what I've heard from my perch at West High, the former Powell coach got treated like a sacrificial lamb midseason and what do they have to show for it? OR is still bad and will they be better next year? What has to change? I've seen comments about the strength and conditioning program but does that explain the lopsided win/loss record. They have a ton of athletes.

He was fired 2 games ago and the offense had maybe their best game of the year.He was the OC for the worst offense in history of Oak Ridge.Would I blame him and say everything is his fault of course not.Joe hired him and its his fault as much as anybody but dont think he wanted to fire himself.But if it wasnt a good fit why would you wait around until end of year.We have some issues to address and I have hope they will take care of it.Anybody wanting to jump ship over a bad year can go.The few players I know havent thought about it and will stick around to get us back to normal.Oak Ridge is gonna be fine and wont let it happen again for a long time

9 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Is this dude for real?  First he moved here from Pacific Northwest, then he has lived in OR his entire adult life, but now he grew up going to church with Kingsport Coach Joey Christian.   First his son knew the kids from West, then his boy plays on the team with his "almost family" member.  Yesterday he's threatening to take his boy and almost family member to the privates, now he's kissing up to the fantastic staff.   

Just being completely straight forward?  Please!

Now you're catching on. 

Lots of "personalities" as well. A good waste of time is following the patterns when "friends" randomly show up to push the conversation ahead.

11 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

He was fired 2 games ago and the offense had maybe their best game of the year.He was the OC for the worst offense in history of Oak Ridge.Would I blame him and say everything is his fault of course not.Joe hired him and its his fault as much as anybody but dont think he wanted to fire himself.But if it wasnt a good fit why would you wait around until end of year.We have some issues to address and I have hope they will take care of it.Anybody wanting to jump ship over a bad year can go.The few players I know havent thought about it and will stick around to get us back to normal.Oak Ridge is gonna be fine and wont let it happen again for a long time

What statistics are you using to qualify this offense as "the worst in oak ridge history?" A better way to frame that might be by saying "the worst offense in recent memory." I don't think it is fair to blame the OC for offenses shortcomings. I think he needs to be looked at more holistically. There is more than just one offensive coach, and they all need to be looked at, including the HBC JG. However, I will admit that they are doing a great job of building great young men for the Oak Ridge community. This may not be something measured on a Friday Night, but they are doing their part to help better our community. I know you keyboard warriors won't accept that; however, that is the reality of the situation.

47 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

What statistics are you using to qualify this offense as "the worst in oak ridge history?" A better way to frame that might be by saying "the worst offense in recent memory." I don't think it is fair to blame the OC for offenses shortcomings. I think he needs to be looked at more holistically. There is more than just one offensive coach, and they all need to be looked at, including the HBC JG. However, I will admit that they are doing a great job of building great young men for the Oak Ridge community. This may not be something measured on a Friday Night, but they are doing their part to help better our community. I know you keyboard warriors won't accept that; however, that is the reality of the situation.

I think that it’s great that they’re building “great young men”, but let’s be honest, at the end of the day that doesn’t win football games, and that’s what football coaches at OR are hired to do. How about building great young men, and actually winning some ballgames in the process? We’re now starting to sound like Butch Jones with the 5 * hearts BS.

18 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I think that it’s great that they’re building “great young men”, but let’s be honest, at the end of the day that doesn’t win football games, and that’s what football coaches at OR are hired to do. How about building great young men, and actually winning some ballgames in the process? We’re now starting to sound like Butch Jones with the 5 * hearts BS.

I just can't agree with this logic. In my opinion, football coaches are hired to build quality young men and provide a positive high school football playing experience to the youngsters in our community. I understand that winning football games is a piece of that, but it should be a smaller piece than what people think. This is not the SEC West and millions of dollars is not on the line. This is a community building experience, IMO. Yes, winning adds to the fun, but it should not be used to evaluate coaching personnel that are paid next to nothing and work 60+ hours/week.

23 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

I just can't agree with this logic. In my opinion, football coaches are hired to build quality young men and provide a positive high school football playing experience to the youngsters in our community. I understand that winning football games is a piece of that, but it should be a smaller piece than what people think. This is not the SEC West and millions of dollars is not on the line. This is a community building experience, IMO. Yes, winning adds to the fun, but it should not be used to evaluate coaching personnel that are paid next to nothing and work 60+ hours/week.

umm......no

Some of that is right. Provide positive experience, community building experience, building quality young men. But it's a game. It has winners and losers. You practice hard all week to win the game. Winning the game is 100% your goal.  All that other stuff is a bi-product. Your logic is for losers. 

Just now, WaCoJaCo said:

umm......no

Some of that is right. Provide positive experience, community building experience, building quality young men. But it's a game. It has winners and losers. You practice hard all week to win the game. Winning the game is 100% your goal.  All that other stuff is a bi-product. Your logic is for losers. 

So winning is the most important thing associated with playing/coaching HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL?