Bearden open

HTV

2 minutes ago, AndyDufrane99 said:

Tough to imagine anyone will. Apparently those issues haven't occurred to the hiring committee. 

The committee consists of school personnel, with the exception of one sitting in simply as a courtesy.  They are fully aware of the requirements that the candidate must meet.  This isn't Bearden's nor Knox County Schools HR's first rodeo.  

1 minute ago, AndyDufrane99 said:

Tough to imagine anyone will. Apparently those issues haven't occurred to the hiring committee. 

From what I have been told by people close to the situation, the hiring committee was/is (is the search even over or just starting?) a who's who of random people that was a revolving door of personalities. It doesn't sound like it was very organized or much of a vision so I imagine the fine details of what it takes to run a program got lost in the mix.

3 minutes ago, HTV said:

The committee consists of school personnel, with the exception of one sitting in simply as a courtesy.  They are fully aware of the requirements that the candidate must meet.  This isn't Bearden's nor Knox County Schools HR's first rodeo.  

This quite literally is everyone on the hiring committees 1st rodeo. None of them have done anything like this before. This is the leader of a program in charge of 100 students involving 300-350 parents attracting thousands of people every Friday night to your campus. better hire someone with their stuff buttoned up. 

Article I, Section 9 of the TSSAA Bylaws states the following:

1. Classified Employee – Any individual employed by a member school or school system in a position that does not require a teaching license or the equivalent. A Classified Employee must be employed 30 hours or more per week in a non-coaching position and may not be an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

1. Classified Employee – Any individual employed by a member school or school system in a position that does not require a teaching license or the equivalent. A Classified Employee must be employed 30 hours or more per week in a non-coaching position and may not be an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor.

Does a HFC have to be a classified employee in the school building?

Page 43 of 2021-2022 TSSAA Handbook:

Q. Can a non-faculty coach or a classified employee be a head coach?

A. Yes. Provided they have successfully completed the NFHS “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “First Aid, Health, & Safety for Coaches” courses OR the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course combined with the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session prior to May 15, 2013 and have been proper submitted to the TSSAA office.

25 minutes ago, AndyDufrane99 said:

This quite literally is everyone on the hiring committees 1st rodeo. None of them have done anything like this before. This is the leader of a program in charge of 100 students involving 300-350 parents attracting thousands of people every Friday night to your campus. better hire someone with their stuff buttoned up. 

So you think they weren't made aware of the requirements for the candidate from an eligibility standpoint from the get go? You think they went in to it thinking they could hire whoever they wanted without KCS HR needing to approve?    As I said, all but one are Knox County Schools employees.  They know how it works.  

Sometimes I wonder if anybody here ever thinks about what they post before hitting "submit reply".  

9 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

The way I’m reading this anybody who is not in a certified or classified position is ineligible. 

2 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Page 43 of 2021-2022 TSSAA Handbook:

Q. Can a non-faculty coach or a classified employee be a head coach?

A. Yes. Provided they have successfully completed the NFHS “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “First Aid, Health, & Safety for Coaches” courses OR the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course combined with the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session prior to May 15, 2013 and have been proper submitted to the TSSAA office.

They can by TSSAA rules, but in Knox County with the exception of administrators Jody Wright and Clark Duncan, coaches of the "major" sports - being football and basketball - have all been expected to be faculty/staff members.  Not a written rule, but a guideline that has been followed up to this point.