Powell vs. Rhea (5A Quarterfinal)

FHSAlum12

I have thought a lot over the last 24 hours about how we schemed Karns.  I sincerely don't think we were expecting them to pass as much as they did.  I think that we got caught up in the Bishop hype (rightfully so - he's an exceptional talent).  I don't think Powell will run as good as Karns.  I would think that Powell will want to pass, with occasional QB scramble/run. 

Rhea had the ball 10 possessions, and scored on the first nine, the last one was kneeling in victory, running out the clock. 

If Powell is as good as Alcoa/Elizabethton, I will eat my humble pie next Friday night... if not, I look for this game to come down to the end.  I'm anxious to see how bad our young men respond this week.  As always ...

Edited by ADS1

19 hours ago, ADS1 said:

I have thought a lot over the last 24 hours about how we schemed Karns.  I sincerely don't think we were expecting them to pass as much as they did.  I think that we got caught up in the Bishop hype (rightfully so - he's an exceptional talent).  I don't think Powell will run as good as Karns.  I would think that Powell will want to pass, with occasional QB scramble/run. 

Rhea had the ball 10 possessions, and scored on the first nine, the last one was kneeling in victory, running out the clock. 

If Powell is as good as Alcoa/Elizabethton, I will eat my humble pie next Friday night... if not, I look for this game to come down to the end.  I'm anxious to see how bad our young men respond this week.  As always ...

Pal will pass and pass a lot, they have three good receivers to throw to and the QB can run if pressured. They will run enough to keep you honest. Pal has a better defense than Karns, which really is not a great defensive team.  I think Rhea has to play its best game this year, run the ball and control the clock and play great defense against the pass. 

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Pal will pass and pass a lot, they have three good receivers to throw to and the QB can run if pressured. They will run enough to keep you honest. Pal has a better defense than Karns, which really is not a great defensive team.  I think Rhea has to play its best game this year, run the ball and control the clock and play great defense against the pass. 

You got it.  That's why they line them up and play.  We'll see.  

On 11/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, BrushCreek said:

Nice talking with y’all. I guess McMinn and I will bow out for the year now lol. Two quality teams in Rhea and Powell. I think the question is can Rhea’s scheme outdo Powell’s pure athleticism speed and size. I think offensively if Rhea can play possession ball on offense and control clock, stay ahead of the chains (which their offensive scheme can do) this game can be close. I don’t know if it’s the sound defeat we just got handed but I would put my pick on Powell in this one. Would not be surprised if they win it all. Impressive team 

Classy post. Good luck next year in football. Now, get ready for basketball. You play Oak Ridge this Thursday night. Good luck to both teams,

Support the kids.  RWR!

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, Rhea Co. said:

Here we go the 1 seed vs 1 seed. Powell offensively is best team we will play this year. While Rhea’s defense has to regroup after that performance. We better be ready for the pass this week and get plenty of pressure on Potts. 

The offense for Rhea is clicking right now even with two of our better players injured.  We can win in a shootout, like the last few weeks or we can win systematically. We can slow the game down and score 35-42 points and play ball control and wear out the defense. We don’t throw it often, but when we do it usually results in a big play or TD. It’s going to take a complete game on both sides of the ball from here on put. If not we won’t be playing the next week. 

One thing for Rhea not to get sucked into retaliating. It’s no secret that Powell is not the most disciplined team, but Rhea cant retaliate and run our mouths. 

Rhea has zero chance of scoring 35 points on Powell.....lol  Powell strong suit is D-line and LB.  Rhea's offense plays into the hands of Powell defense. If they score 14 points I will be impressed.  JMO   

31 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Rhea has zero chance of scoring 35 points on Powell.....lol  Powell strong suit is D-line and LB.  Rhea's offense plays into the hands of Powell defense. If they score 14 points I will be impressed.  JMO   

Protect them knee caps at all costs Pal.. They coming for ‘em! Now would be a good time for Rhea to reacquaint themselves with the old “tackle eligible” play! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Protect them knee caps at all costs Pal.. They coming for ‘em! Now would be a good time for Rhea to reacquaint themselves with the old “tackle eligible” play! 

Yes! If Plow DL don't like getting cut all game, this game is not for you. I predict this one get's more than chippy. And   It's time to bust out old Tackle Eligible, no question about it!  

38 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Don't ever count out a Mark Pemberton coached team, nor a Rhea County team that runs an offensive scheme that few teams run and runs it as well as Rhea County does.  

I'd be shocked if Rhea County doesn't score well north of 14 points.  

I could invision a 42-35 type game. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

One of their weak points is discipline, which is def not something you want when facing an option based offense. Skill won't count for much if they don't play good assignment football against Rhea

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

One of their weak points is discipline, which is def not something you want when facing an option based offense. Skill won't count for much if they don't play good assignment football against Rhea

Yup, defensive discipline is going to be key in this one. I agree that what Rhea wants to do plays directly into Powell's strength on defense, but only if the Panthers play their assignments. Karns didn't offer much resistance last week, but that had a lot to do with the fact that Karns' front 7 was porous all year long.

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

Interesting, another person that thinks that Powell is as good  as Alcoa and Elizabethton... 

I don't hardly think so.  I see this game coming down to a mistake by one team... One score game.