Quarterfinal (Round 3) Covington @ Dyersburg

CHARGERFAN

So, both Covington and Dyersburg have advanced and will meet again in Dyersburg next Friday night. The winner will then travel to Middle Tennessee to meet either White House or East Nashville.

Here is where you assess the mettle of your team. Covington has lots of recent success in the playoffs and Dyersburg has not been as successful. Will that factor into how this game is played? I think so, and I sure expect that Coach Kirby’s experience with advancing deep into the playoffs will come into play.

Somebody checkout the Massey Matchup tool. I ran that, but I’m afraid to share the result because it sounds so crazy. Y’all tell me how you expect this game to go.

19 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

I expect Covington to win but don’t be surprised if Dyersburg tried to use the formula that Haywood used. The Dyersburg coaching staff was at that game 

Every one of them was there. I expect Fayne to be at qb? I know he didn’t start there but switched to qb in the 2nd quarter against us the first time. Both teams will be fired up. If Dyersburg plays like we’re capable of, I believe we win.  I’m sure glad we have this game at Dyersburg. Winner looks like they will play East Nashville at Nissan Stadium. Looking forward to this game! Hopefully I keep my BP in check this time. I about stroked out the first game!

Edited by TrojanLC

19 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

I expect Covington to win but don’t be surprised if Dyersburg tried to use the formula that Haywood used. The Dyersburg coaching staff was at that game 

To use that formula, Dyersburg would need players the same caliber that Haywood puts on the field. After seeing both teams in action against Covington, there is no comparison. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrojanLC said:

Every one of them was there. I expect Fayne to be at qb? I know he didn’t start there but switched to qb in the 2nd quarter against us the first time. Both teams will be fired up. If Dyersburg plays like we’re capable of, I believe we win.  I’m sure glad we have this game at Dyersburg. Winner looks like they will play East Nashville at Nissan Stadium. Looking forward to this game! Hopefully I keep my BP in check this time. I about stroked out the first game!

Jalen Fayne is our Swiss Army knife. He does some of everything. I expect Tanner Stewart to play QB. Fayne has played there but only when Stewart was hurt. Fayne will be on the field for almost every play - running back, defensive back, punt returner, kick returner, edge blocker on place kicks. 

The interesting change for Covington since we last played Dyersburg is the insertion of Emarrion Flowers at fullback. He was moved to the defensive line this year, after being a big factor last year when we beat Haywood.  Coach Kirby has put him back at fullback for a couple of games now. Versus Ripley last night, he was a force.  He rumbled for a lot of yards up the middle and the Tigers could not stop him. D’burg will see that in the film, but I’ll be interested to see how they try to stop him.

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Jalen Fayne is our Swiss Army knife. He does some of everything. I expect Tanner Stewart to play QB. Fayne has played there but only when Stewart was hurt. Fayne will be on the field for almost every play - running back, defensive back, punt returner, kick returner, edge blocker on place kicks. 

The interesting change for Covington since we last played Dyersburg is the insertion of Emarrion Flowers at fullback. He was moved to the defensive line this year, after being a big factor last year when we beat Haywood.  Coach Kirby has put him back at fullback for a couple of games now. Versus Ripley last night, he was a force.  He rumbled for a lot of yards up the middle and the Tigers could not stop him. D’burg will see that in the film, but I’ll be interested to see how they try to stop him.

I hate to say it but if we run the same ole offensive scheme (like last night), Dyersburg will win this game. We threw the ball once, ONCE, and it was a bad throw. We can’t be one-dimensional from here on out. We will need to play the offense we played in the scrimmage against Huntington and Fayne ran that offense. He ran and he threw the ball around a lot and we hammered Huntington with it….and then it just disappeared. Hopefully, they’ve been working on it because, if not, we may not score many points and this game could be over early,

29 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The interesting change for Covington since we last played Dyersburg is the insertion of Emarrion Flowers at fullback. He was moved to the defensive line this year, after being a big factor last year when we beat Haywood.  Coach Kirby has put him back at fullback for a couple of games now. Versus Ripley last night, he was a force.  He rumbled for a lot of yards up the middle and the Tigers could not stop him.

I have wondered all season why Covington wasn't taking advantage of Flowers' talents in the offensive backfield.  In fact, I totally expected to see him run the ball against Haywood.  I'm glad to see him playing fullback.  I hope he helps make the difference against D'Burg.  Go Chargers!

12 minutes ago, TrickyD said:

First meeting Dyersburg shut them down until they changed quarterbacks. I expect to see Fayne at quarterback

Maybe, but I expect Coach Kirby to maybe have a different trick or two up his sleeve. Jalen is a tremendous asset at halfback. We have him, Dowell, and Flowers in the backfield, with AC Mason and freshman Skylan Smith as relief. As those 5 have proved, any one of them can take it to the house on any given play.

Covington wins this game. They have a history of losing big games in the regular season and then winning them in the playoffs. I don't quite get it, but it happens year after year. Covington wins because they have a bunch of different things that they can throw at a defense. Nobody really knows what offense they will run come Friday, and I think their coaches like it that way. Dyersburg is a good team, but I think Covington has been there and done that year after year. 

2 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Covington wins this game. They have a history of losing big games in the regular season and then winning them in the playoffs. I don't quite get it, but it happens year after year. Covington wins because they have a bunch of different things that they can throw at a defense. Nobody really knows what offense they will run come Friday, and I think their coaches like it that way. Dyersburg is a good team, but I think Covington has been there and done that year after year. 

Very true! The Chargers would always take one on the chin to SG or Milan. Two teams that are  traditionally pretty good. I hope this year we can come out on top of Dyersburg. Should be a good one! 

Go Chargers!