Scott Cummings the new head football coach at Oak Ridge!

ORWildcats1

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

Doing the research will be easy, seeing as I was at every single game played during each of those 3 state championship seasons! A check of championship history on the TSSAA website will inform you that the 1992 football season was the final one with 3 classes. Starting in 1993 there were 5 classes, and yes, the publics and privates still played together until ‘97. We played Brentwood Academy in the 1993 4A final. Cleveland did make the final in the 3 class system under Coach Monroe in 1982. They were AA and lost to Brentwood Academy. They were moved up to AAA in either ‘83 or ‘85 and advanced past the 2nd Round one time, when they lost in the 3rd Round to Jefferson Co. If you are going to come on here and take a shot at someone, PLEASE know what you are talking about first! 

P.S. to ADS1– IF your team is who I suspect it to be, I’m going to let you in on a secret. When Coach Monroe coached that team that you hate, I only saw him break down and cry one time. That was when he was addressing the media after the 1992 game, before which Coach Horton revealed that he had lung cancer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

LOL, how have you been Irish?

After 8th grade at St. Mary's my Dad asked me if I wanted to go to Jefferson, Webb or Catholic. I knew I was

too odd and wouldn't fit in at Webb. No way was I going to Catholic after being whipped for eight years by Nuns with Rosary Beads. I knew I could make the basketball team at Jefferson so I became an Eagle.

No way should an Oak Ridge Catholic boy want to leave Oak Ridge. OR has it all.

Best of luck to Catholic b-ball this year.

Never hurts to throw the idea out there Willie! The Nuns are much nicer in Knoxville. LOL

Doing well so far this year. Really enjoying watching the Irish. BJ Edwards is one of the best players I’ve seen in the Knoxville area in about the last 50 years. Elston Turner would be hard to top with a 15 year NBA career. Wish we could have played OR again this year. I told Aaron and Mike Mullens I’d get them a map to Cedar Bluff.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:51 PM, rollnoles said:

And the folks in Cleveland need to laugh. Going to be funny when he turns O.R. around and you guys wish you would have given him a chance. Good hire for O.R. 

I'm not a Cleveland fan - just stating what my Cleveland friends are saying. Scott may indeed turn OR around (I don't have any reason to wish him failure), but the fact remains he laid a rotten egg when he coached at Cleveland even though he had great talent, unlimited resources, and full support of the administration.

18 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

I'm not a Cleveland fan - just stating what my Cleveland friends are saying. Scott may indeed turn OR around (I don't have any reason to wish him failure), but the fact remains he laid a rotten egg when he coached at Cleveland even though he had great talent, unlimited resources, and full support of the administration.

You really are out of the loop and dont know what you are talking about.  Cleveland is a GOOD place to be.  Not a place to make a run or reach levels of success that people are talking about in this thread.  It is not comparable to a big time job that can compete for a state championship.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheBest2018 said:

You really are out of the loop and dont know what you are talking about.  Cleveland is a GOOD place to be.  Not a place to make a run or reach levels of success that people are talking about in this thread.  It is not comparable to a big time job that can compete for a state championship.

And Oak Ridge is? 

8 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

And Oak Ridge is? 

Well, they did go to a state title game last year, and in 2005 (in the state’s highest class) soooo……kinda speaks for itself. Any other teams not named Maryville, Oakland,  Alcoa, and a few select others would view that as a pretty dang good 15+ years, I’d say. A great chance they could’ve (should’ve would’ve yadda yadda) went to a few more if not for Catholic playing in the public school sector, when they should’ve been private, especially in 2017/18. Those were some really good teams OR had those years. Catholic was just a tiny bit better. So yes, OR does play for and compete for state championships. Not everyone can play for it every other year like the Maryville’s of the world. 

When was the last time Cleveland did anything? ‘94/95? Have they even been to the semifinals/quarterfinals the past 20+ years? I really don’t know, just asking.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBest2018 said:

Got to agree. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

Not from what I heard. Cleveland hasn’t been that good in a while. 

On 12/19/2021 at 12:41 PM, SweetScience said:

Well, they did go to a state title game last year, and in 2005 (in the state’s highest class) soooo……kinda speaks for itself. Any other teams not named Maryville, Oakland,  Alcoa, and a few select others would view that as a pretty dang good 15+ years, I’d say. A great chance they could’ve (should’ve would’ve yadda yadda) went to a few more if not for Catholic playing in the public school sector, when they should’ve been private, especially in 2017/18. Those were some really good teams OR had those years. Catholic was just a tiny bit better. So yes, OR does play for and compete for state championships. Not everyone can play for it every other year like the Maryville’s of the world. 

When was the last time Cleveland did anything? ‘94/95? Have they even been to the semifinals/quarterfinals the past 20+ years? I really don’t know, just asking.

State semifinals in 2014

On 12/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, chs1984 said:

Doing the research will be easy, seeing as I was at every single game played during each of those 3 state championship seasons! A check of championship history on the TSSAA website will inform you that the 1992 football season was the final one with 3 classes. Starting in 1993 there were 5 classes, and yes, the publics and privates still played together until ‘97. We played Brentwood Academy in the 1993 4A final. Cleveland did make the final in the 3 class system under Coach Monroe in 1982. They were AA and lost to Brentwood Academy. They were moved up to AAA in either ‘83 or ‘85 and advanced past the 2nd Round one time, when they lost in the 3rd Round to Jefferson Co. If you are going to come on here and take a shot at someone, PLEASE know what you are talking about first! 

You are correct sir.  I was out of state from 92-95, and should have done more research.  I just remembered that Cleveland won 3 state titles in a row.  I apologize to you. I wrongly called you out.  -I still wouldn't have said that Cleveland didn't win anything. 

Edited by ADS1
Information

On 12/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, chs1984 said:

P.S. to ADS1– IF your team is who I suspect it to be, I’m going to let you in on a secret. When Coach Monroe coached that team that you hate, I only saw him break down and cry one time. That was when he was addressing the media after the 1992 game, before which Coach Horton revealed that he had lung cancer. 

They (Coach Horton and Monroe) seemed to have very good fellowship with each other.  I remember asking Coach Horton one day, which team do you want to beat the worst ... he never took a thought, and said Cleveland.  I always respected Cleveland back then.  I really miss those days.