Gary Rankin has stepped down

HTV

27 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Riverdale was a roadblock to Oak Ridge in 1993 and 1994. especially in 94, OR had a really good team, the best since the Championship season in 1991, but Riverdale was really good and athletic, and OR had to travel to the Boro as they always seemed to have to do and lost 28-7 there, the next week Riverdale won the State Championship. 

My friend David Clary can tell a story about working an Oak Ridge semifinal game at Riverdale a few years back .....

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Riverdale was a roadblock to Oak Ridge in 1993 and 1994. especially in 94, OR had a really good team, the best since the Championship season in 1991, but Riverdale was really good and athletic, and OR had to travel to the Boro as they always seemed to have to do and lost 28-7 there, the next week Riverdale won the State Championship. 

94 game was 21-7. Only reason I know is because I was on that team. It was a hard fought game, but we just couldn’t hardly move the ball on them. Their D was like a stone wall.

19 hours ago, HTV said:

My friend David Clary can tell a story about working an Oak Ridge semifinal game at Riverdale a few years back .....

That's not the only place that has happened to David. Ha Ha,  He's definitely a homer.  There's no doubt who he is pulling for during an Oak Ridge game, and sometimes that really upsets the fans of the home team, especially when OR has the lead.  Another good story about the press box at William Blount.  

24 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

That's not the only place that has happened to David. Ha Ha,  He's definitely a homer.  There's no doubt who he is pulling for during an Oak Ridge game, and sometimes that really upsets the fans of the home team, especially when OR has the lead.  Another good story about the press box at William Blount.  

Oh yeah.  His broadcast partner being punched by Scott Meadows' Dad is classic.  

And, yeah, David is a "homer" and there isn't anything wrong with a broadcaster who follows one school having a bias of who he is for.  Not a thing.  

But I have also heard him many times give credit where due, no matter what color the jersey of the young person who makes a good play is.  

One of the best at what he does.  I learned a lot from him.  

10 minutes ago, HTV said:

Oh yeah.  His broadcast partner being punched by Scott Meadows' Dad is classic.  

And, yeah, David is a "homer" and there isn't anything wrong with a broadcaster who follows one school having a bias of who he is for.  Not a thing.  

But I have also heard him many times give credit where due, no matter what color the jersey of the young person who makes a good play is.  

One of the best at what he does.  I learned a lot from him.  

Yes, always complementary of the opponent and quick to give credit where it's due.  He will also point out areas where OR struggles or underperforms.  He's one of the best.  We are lucky to have him and all of his volunteers throughout the years for bringing us every basketball and football game that OR plays.  

11 hours ago, SweetScience said:

94 game was 21-7. Only reason I know is because I was on that team. It was a hard fought game, but we just couldn’t hardly move the ball on them. Their D was like a stone wall.

If it makes you feel any better, 94 MIGHT be the best team Rankin has ever had. Depending on who you talk to, might be the best team RuCo has ever had

29 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

If it makes you feel any better, 94 MIGHT be the best team Rankin has ever had. Depending on who you talk to, might be the best team RuCo has ever had

No doubt, that 94 team was unstoppable.  Unbelievable high school team.  When opposing fans remember the names of the standouts, that's a great team.  I can still name Fernando Bryant, Alvin duke, David Coppeans, Antron Peebles, Gerald Griffin, Corey Carney.  Those are off the top of my head.  What a team! Just to see them jog out for warm ups was impressive, we kind of knew we were toast.  Ha ha

Edited by oridgecat

34 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Unless its a title game, radio crews are supposed to be biased. This isn't college or the NFL. If Oakland is away and im listening to the home teams broadcast, I'm absolutely expecting a biased slant. Biased doesn't mean bad/unprofessional

Even college and NFL crews that cover one school/team are biased, as they should be.  

No different in high school.  Schools that have one station follow them have a relationship with those broadcast outlets.  

If it's a game of the week type broadcast it is a completely different story. 

36 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Unless its a title game, radio crews are supposed to be biased. This isn't college or the NFL. If Oakland is away and im listening to the home teams broadcast, I'm absolutely expecting a biased slant. Biased doesn't mean bad/unprofessional

Best radio crew I heard, and they were definitely homers, was Ron Akers and the late Coach Jack Kidwell on ALIVE 95 in Cleveland in the 80’s and early 90’s. Ron, a chiropractor by trade, and I used to talk a lot prior to the game each week. I think he finally stepped on one too many sets of toes and told them what they could do with the radio gig. And yes, ‘94 Riverdale was great!