GC vs WV

mas1821

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Had 12 TO’s and they just played good defense. Jada is a beast and we can’t guard her right now and defense is kinda collapsing on her and she is kicking out to open shooters. They just didn’t fall. Got to keep battling. 

did y'all stick to man on them, or rotate to zone any?

5 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

He was mad at his players and took it out on the refs, IMO. He might have got a bad call on that one but overall the whistle was even. Refs did a pretty good job. He was more frustrated at his players and probably was trying to get them going. Never know. They have to do something to keep Jada out of the paint, IMO. I said this last meeting. Can’t play them man if you can’t guard her, IMO. GC just has to keep playing and battling and hope Westview gets cold. Not the end of the world. Westview is a great team. It is what it is.

True. I was very surprised he didn’t try to press early. We’ve seen both game plans and he will have another next time. GC had more turnovers tonight than I can ever remember, but the next couple (hopefully) will be better contests. Nothing but respect from WV. 

2 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

did y'all stick to man on them, or rotate to zone any?

Played man all night but he may have to adjust. We can’t guard her. Westview likes to set screens up top. I think personally taking her out of the paint and playing zone we might be able to contest their threes’s better. We are collapsing and she is finding the open girl. Zone may not work either but man sure isn’t  working. She is a beast to guard. 

8 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

True. I was very surprised he didn’t try to press early. We’ve seen both game plans and he will have another next time. GC had more turnovers tonight than I can ever remember, but the next couple (hopefully) will be better contests. Nothing but respect from WV. 

We will see what happens. I tell it like it is. We get beat, we get beat. Really impressed with Westview. No need to panic for GC. Lot of ball left. 

25 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

He was mad at his players and took it out on the refs, IMO. He might have got a bad call on that one but overall the whistle was even. Refs did a pretty good job. He was more frustrated at his players and probably was trying to get them going. Never know. They have to do something to keep Jada out of the paint, IMO. I said this last meeting. Can’t play them man if you can’t guard her, IMO. GC just has to keep playing and battling and hope Westview gets cold. Not the end of the world. Westview is a great team. It is what it is.

It’s hard to guard her! There’s also no telling how many assists she had either. She loves dishing it to the open shooter as much as she does finishing and scoring herself! 

I will say I was not impressed with Wilkins tonight…it’s one thing to mouth to the refs but it’s tacky when you start mouthing to the opposing coach. “You can’t get all the calls” “I just want them to call it even”…I’m not sure if he was watching a different game but the fouls were pretty even!

That westview team tonight is gonna be tough to beat! The turning point in the game was when Barr got her second and the sub (Simpson?) came in and drilled 3-4 threes imo.   Then the snowball started rolling.   I don’t think Westview is that much better than GC. But tonight they definitely were and are no doubt the better team of the 2.  I don’t expect the next 2 to be quite that bad though.  Barr makes it easy on the refs when she slaps down.  When your the biggest you can’t hide that stuff.  Imo Westview definitely got the better end of the whistle tonight. But it had no real Impact on the game.  Wilkins is going to have to adjust and figure out how to score against the zone.  And has to get more out of everyone besides the hart girls.  Had a few Westview people tell me that’s the best game they’ve played all year and I believe it.  The put on a show 

3 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

It’s hard to guard her! There’s also no telling how many assists she had either. She loves dishing it to the open shooter as much as she does finishing and scoring herself! 

I will say I was not impressed with Wilkins tonight…it’s one thing to mouth to the refs but it’s tacky when you start mouthing to the opposing coach. “You can’t get all the calls” “I just want them to call it even”…I’m not sure if he was watching a different game but the fouls were pretty even!

So you didn’t see Haskins be involved in that? Come on now.  That was back and forth between coaches that lasted 10 seconds. Let’s not make it something it’s not.  

Just now, GlassHouseBound said:

So you didn’t see Haskins be involved in that? Come on now.  That was back and forth between coaches that lasted 10 seconds. Let’s not make it something it’s not.  

Actually I was sitting right behind the scores table and heard the whole thing! Wilkins was talking across to Haskins while Haskins was talking to the refs. It was tacky and everyone sitting right there to hear it said the same thing!

30 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Had 12 TO’s and they just played good defense. Jada is a beast and we can’t guard her right now and defense is kinda collapsing on her and she is kicking out to open shooters. They just didn’t fall. Got to keep battling. 

Very surprising / whoever get them in substate better have A game on 

31 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I still say Loretto is the team. Our young girls don’t know they’re still young. At this point in the season, they’re not playing starry eyed and everyone knows a role. We’re as deep as we’ve been in 15-20 years and we’ve always had shooters, but this year it’s beneficial with multiple ball handlers to go along with it. GC will be a force in the upcoming tourneys and Wilkins always has them better in tournament time. They’re a very good team but we’re clicking right now. Our speed on D is better than I thought it could be and I’m glad we got 7 (or 8) of the 9 (or 10) on the court tonight returning again next year. 

So you think when tournaments start that McCall as a freshman, Simpson and Alexander as sophomores, and Jada and Brigance as juniors will get stage fright and won’t play as well as they have been? Even on their home court? I just don’t see it happening!

5 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

He got frustrated. Refs were pretty good. GC had a good whistle early as we drew a couple of fouls on Barr. It happens. He was more mad at his players turning the ball over and was just frustrated, IMO. Things sometimes are said in a game when your emotions are high. I think we have all done that. He just has to reset and regroup and keep focused. Tournaments are here. He is going to have to do something to try and slow Jada down. We will not beat y’all with her getting in the paint at will.