Farragut William Blount fight

KnoxBball1969

19 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

That's fine. Show the video where a punch was thrown or the part where FHS had bench players on the court. 12 never threw a punch and neither did anyone from WB. The video and the refs report don't match up to being the same. So accountability is held when the information is accurate. 

I'd imagine that tssaa looked at 4 different tapes.  The broadcast we had.  WB HUDL.  F HUDL. School cameras in the gym.  If any of them showed that Farragut didn't leave the bench this would be a totally different situation.  They don't have to show you.  

12 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I'd imagine that tssaa looked at 4 different tapes.  The broadcast we had.  WB HUDL.  F HUDL. School cameras in the gym.  If any of them showed that Farragut didn't leave the bench this would be a totally different situation.  They don't have to show you.  

Good point on the school cameras. Both broadcast by the schools didn't show anything. 

• Like 1

Everybody in the gym was in a frenzy, the players on the court, the student sections, the fans ... everybody. Then the "incident" happened between 12 and 20. The benches cleared, cops and school officials all ran onto the court but to their credit the students stayed in the stands. I think the refs were worried about them getting involved and then all heck would have broken loose. They took their time making a decision and announced it and then ran off the court. I'm told they were Knoxville Officals.

It's over it's sad but it's time to move on. And most importantly don't let it happen again.

PaPa Bounder is through talking now!

• Like 1

I am Scott Cupp the AD at WBHS.  I spent most of my day yesterday on the phone with TSSAA trying to get them to listen to myself and Coach Dodgen.  The report made from the head referee was inaccurate.  Here are the parts he missed:

1)  All of WB bench emptied on the court.  Uh..no..we had 3 players (#4, #24, #12) who do not even stand up.  So these kids were ejected by the official.  So when I told TSSAA this they said, "well you can appeal."  I said I shouldn't have to.  

2)  The report also says that #5, #11, and #0 were ejected for "making contact with an opponent during a dead ball situation" and entering the altercation in an "aggressive manner." Uh...no...they did not make contact with an opponent.  The TSSAA told me that I should appeal.  I said I shouldn't have to.

3) The report says that Farragut #4 (District MVP) was ejected for "making contact with an opponent during a dead ball situation."  Uh...no he did not.

My argument with TSSAA was let's get myself, Coach Dodgen (Farragut AD), the official, and TSSAA on a zoom call yesterday and go over the film and discuss each player 1 by 1 and "get it right."  They refused to listen.  Here is what should have happened by the book. 

Farragut has left #13, #14, #4, and the one kid who did not leave their bench for a total of 4 players.

WBHS has left #4, #24, #12, #5, #2, #11, #0 for a total of 7 players.

We could have finished the game 5 on 4 if they wanted us to.  However I told the TSSAA that we were fine not finishing the game.  Farragut deserved the win and deserved a shot to advance.  

Then Farragut would be playing Bearden tonight with those 4 players plus they could bring up some JV kids to help with subs.  Obviously it would be tough but at least they would have had a chance. Same thing for the Sub-State game.  It would be tough but they still had some good players playing and may could pull it off.  But at least they had a chance.  I fought all day for Farragut because they are a good team with 6 seniors whose career should not be ended because of one official.

However, the TSSAA refuses to listen to guys like myself (28 year educator/coach/administrator/AD) or Dodgen (35+year educator/coach/administrator, AD.)  Instead they only listen to one official who provided an inaccurate report.  What they have done to the Farragut kids is criminal.  

We can point fingers all day about who started what and why it happened.  That doesn't really matter.  It was an intense situation in an important game and sometimes emotions run high.  I am proud of the administration at Farragut and WBHS and all of those in charge for quickly de-escalating the situation.  No punches were thrown and no fans were on the floor.  I have labeled it as more of a meet and greet....definitely not a fight or brawl.  

I will continue to work to get a better outcome for the kids....but my it sure is disheartening to try and get the powers that be in the TSSAA to cooperate.  In all actuality, it's just plain sad.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, etcoach said:

I am Scott Cupp the AD at WBHS.  I spent most of my day yesterday on the phone with TSSAA trying to get them to listen to myself and Coach Dodgen.  The report made from the head referee was inaccurate.  Here are the parts he missed:

1)  All of WB bench emptied on the court.  Uh..no..we had 3 players (#4, #24, #12) who do not even stand up.  So these kids were ejected by the official.  So when I told TSSAA this they said, "well you can appeal."  I said I shouldn't have to.  

2)  The report also says that #5, #11, and #0 were ejected for "making contact with an opponent during a dead ball situation" and entering the altercation in an "aggressive manner." Uh...no...they did not make contact with an opponent.  The TSSAA told me that I should appeal.  I said I shouldn't have to.

3) The report says that Farragut #4 (District MVP) was ejected for "making contact with an opponent during a dead ball situation."  Uh...no he did not.

My argument with TSSAA was let's get myself, Coach Dodgen (Farragut AD), the official, and TSSAA on a zoom call yesterday and go over the film and discuss each player 1 by 1 and "get it right."  They refused to listen.  Here is what should have happened by the book. 

Farragut has left #13, #14, #4, and the one kid who did not leave their bench for a total of 4 players.

We could have finished the game 5 on 4 if they wanted us to.  However I told the TSSAA that we were fine not finishing the game.  Farragut deserved the win and deserved a shot to advance.  

Then Farragut would be playing Bearden tonight with those 4 players plus they could bring up some JV kids to help with subs.  Obviously it would be tough but at least they would have had a chance. Same thing for the Sub-State game.  It would be tough but they still had some good players playing and may could pull it off.  But at least they had a chance.  I fought all day for Farragut because they are a good team with 6 seniors whose career should not be ended because of one official.

However, the TSSAA refuses to listen to guys like myself (28 year educator/coach/administrator/AD) or Dodgen (35+year educator/coach/administrator, AD.)  Instead they only listen to one official who provided an inaccurate report.  What they have done to the Farragut kids is criminal.  

We can point fingers all day about who started what and why it happened.  That doesn't really matter.  It was an intense situation in an important game and sometimes emotions run high.  I am proud of the administration at Farragut and WBHS and all of those in charge for quickly de-escalating the situation.  No punches were thrown and no fans were on the floor.  I have labeled it as more of a meet and greet....definitely not a fight or brawl.  

I will continue to work to get a better outcome for the kids....but my it sure is disheartening to try and get the powers that be in the TSSAA to cooperate.  In all actuality, it's just plain sad.

"The report made from the head referee was inaccurate" As stated here previously. FHS should be reinstated based on the inaccuracies of the report not matching the video reviewed by TSSAA. Both AD's should be given more say in this matter as the representatives of both schools involved and both were onsite. 

13 minutes ago, etcoach said:

This is still very helpful.  You've clarified that according to the Rules,  Farragut would only have 4 players plus JV available for the next game because all but one player left their bench. Thanks for the insight.

Edited by ILB1999WHS

Whichever team had the culture and accountability to not rush the floor in this situation would still be playing. 

Sadly neither program did the right things in the moment and both are done. 

You want to blame refs for not controlling the situation, when that is exactly what they did with the ejections. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etcoach said:

The officials are not Knoxville.  I wish they were.  They are from the Smoky Mountain Organization which does the Morristown area.  Had we had our normal officials (Knox South) that we have all year, none of this would have happened.  

Do they play basketball in Morristown?

Thx for all the insight. Congratulations to both WB and Fairgut on their great basketball seasons. It’s sad the officials on the court we’re not at the same level as the teams. Hopefully they will learn from it and get better. 

1 hour ago, strongx said:

Do they play basketball in Morristown?

Thx for all the insight. Congratulations to both WB and Fairgut on their great basketball seasons. It’s sad the officials on the court we’re not at the same level as the teams. Hopefully they will learn from it and get better. 

Reminds me of some (NET or Upper East Tennessee) football officials that think the ground can cause a fumble. 

• Sad 1