Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2022-23

mas1821

38 minutes ago, Opm91 said:

I am definitely not Daddy Wilkins biggest fan, but I wouldn't call him tacky. He knows how to work the refs to his teams advantage. He has pretty high basketball iq and appears to be a good guy, BUT He does make questionable decisions that I think cost him games at times...just like tonight... Sitting behind the bench tonight, his son Wilkins from Huntingdon suggested he put back in #30 to guard Jada, assist coach agreed and Wilkins shot it down. The little #2 was doing a decent job but fouled out. Last time #30 matched up with Jada, she barely had a foul called the whole game. She's the best defensive player on that team imo. If Wilkins doesn't want to play her, she shouldn't be a starter. Good ole boy system going on or he really couldn't see how it worked last game? 

The announcer said GC plays Loretto but did I see someone else say Summertown? 

Yea my crazy self put Summertown instead of Loretto! 

• Like 1

That Westview/GC game was a good one last night, lots of questioning on Wilkins coaching decisions but he came out with the freshman on Jada in the 3rd and held Westview to 3 pts the entire qt. GC was a couple big shot away from winning this game. Hart tried to pull a miracle at the end and Jada was great the entire game. Two great teams lets hope they meet again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Opm91 said:

I am definitely not Daddy Wilkins biggest fan, but I wouldn't call him tacky. He knows how to work the refs to his teams advantage. He has pretty high basketball iq and appears to be a good guy, BUT He does make questionable decisions that I think cost him games at times...just like tonight... Sitting behind the bench tonight, his son Wilkins from Huntingdon suggested he put back in #30 to guard Jada, assist coach agreed and Wilkins shot it down. The little #2 was doing a decent job but fouled out. Last time #30 matched up with Jada, she barely had a foul called the whole game. She's the best defensive player on that team imo. If Wilkins doesn't want to play her, she shouldn't be a starter. Good ole boy system going on or he really couldn't see how it worked last game? 

The announcer said GC plays Loretto but did I see someone else say Summertown? 

He needed a little more on the offensive end without losing at ton defensively, which is exactly what he got imo. Westview was turning there back when 30 had the ball for the most part.   

8 hours ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I will say Gibson County always schedules tough teams at their Thanksgiving tournament, this is an annual tournament for us. Meanwhile Westview tournament will schedule halls or humbolt lol what a waste of time. I guarantee Gibson County will come to South Side before Westview any day! We don’t care to lose we just want to play quality teams! 

He can’t control the refs on the road! 

The Lions tourney is pretty open to anyone, and WV typically travels out of state to play every year. Usually, the Nike tournament, which is an invitation only tournament, East TN, or out of state. Let's be honest on here. You don't become a Nike school with an application and last time I checked, there's only 2 or 3 of them in that classification. lol 

27 minutes ago, westtnsportsfan said:

That Westview/GC game was a good one last night, lots of questioning on Wilkins coaching decisions but he came out with the freshman on Jada in the 3rd and held Westview to 3 pts the entire qt. GC was a couple big shot away from winning this game. Hart tried to pull a miracle at the end and Jada was great the entire game. Two great teams lets hope they meet again. 

Gibson County’s last four games was Huntingdon, Westview, Huntingdon and Westview. They had won their last three. I will take 3-1 in that stretch. I am proud of our girls. We are having a great year. Just have to shake it off and keep shooting the basketball and attacking the rim. We have seven good players that all need to be playing. Great players. Can’t put seven on the floor is the problem.

1 minute ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

The Lions tourney is pretty open to anyone, and WV typically travels out of state to play every year. Usually, the Nike tournament, which is an invitation only tournament, East TN, or out of state. Let's be honest on here. You don't become a Nike school with an application and last time I checked, there's only 2 or 3 of them in that classification. lol 

Lol yea open to anyone ok. Nobody is coming to play Obion, Millington, jcs lol nobody will get better! But y’all will win that tournament easily! I remember when y’all use to come to Gibson’s thanksgiving tournament until they beat y’all. Then no more Westview lol but can defend your team all you want! If you’re from west Tn we all know the truth!

No Nike this year! Y’all are good, nobody is taking that away sir! Y’all just pick & choose when y’all want to play people. We all knows that. I wish we could play y’all each & every year, but alternating sites! Which will never happen! Y’all coach will never agree to that because he can’t control what refs he will have! We have come to y’all each time, except for at South Gibson! And yea y’all are leading the series, who cares we just want to play the best talent in west Tn! 

8 hours ago, Opm91 said:

Not about making anyone happy. And I'm sure she's a great kid. The only kid I know personally on GC right now sits the bench. I just know as a coach, I'm not changing the formula I had that won the only game against a team I played. Its what coaching and developing your best should be about. Good luck to the girls the rest of the way through. I haven't seen Loretto play since Karly left so I'm outta the loop. I'm sure it will be a tough game. 

Our Freshman guard is a momentum changer. We were down seven and needed a spark offensively and were on the verge of getting down double digits before half. These are seven really good players. Year we won state in 2019 we had a big game against Peabody our Junior year. My neice came off the bench in first half when things weren’t going well and had about 9 points and got us back on the right track. Next half he inserted the starting five and things were rolling and she hardly played second half. Our Freshman guard never hit the floor against Westview the last game we won. This time of year with seven good players I am sure when the team is playing well there won’t be much subbing. Proud of our girls. Keep on battling.

Not going to get into the back forth pissing match about coaches.  Wilkins and Haskins are both clearly top end coaches in the state. And working refs is part of the game.  Only thing I will say is it is well known that westview refuses to play the best teams in the area that they don’t have to play.  But it seems to work for them as they are in contention every year. But don’t get defensive when it’s brought up. It’s a fact.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westtnsportsfan said:

As I watching Westview the other night I was thinking how much they will miss Jada next season.  She is THE difference maker on that team and you just don’t replace that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1983 said:

As I watching Westview the other night I was thinking how much they will miss Jada next season.  She is THE difference maker on that team and you just don’t replace that.

Without her, they are just a good average team. With her makes them very good. 

Great game between the Chargers and Pioneers last night. I don't care who GC put on Jada she was going to the basket. She played with such confidence. Having a strong, confident point is so important to a great team. GC played great and challenged Westview to the end, but if I counted right the Chargers hit 11 of 12 free throws down the stretch to close the deal. I expect both teams to advance in the sectionals and would not be surprised see them play for it all!