Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2022-23

mas1821

21 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

I hate to hear that about this young lady.

Most likely, either Alcoa or Gatlinburg will be playing at McMinn Central in a sub-state game.  Central is tough to beat in the Round House, though Alcoa did it last year.   

I think Central will make it to state this season. They may not win the state this season, but they'll be favored to next season.

Yeah I hate to hear that too. Prayers for this young lady from Alcoa. Seen where y’all have had some big wins this year. Safe to say any of these three could win it all. That is GP, Alcoa and McMinn Central. Will be interesting for sure. Johnny Morgan still calling the shots. Good coach and a good guy. I have met him a few times. 

York's only losses were to 4A Coffee County in a game where they led at the half and to 4A Cookeville, but then beat them in the rematch by 11. York had the 7th toughest schedule and played 7, 4A teams and 7, 3A teams. They only had 8 home games with the other 23 games on the road. They have a Miss Basketball nominee, Reese Beaty. They won the Silver Ball last year beating Gibson County and Gatlinburg-Pittman to reach the finals...and they are a far better team this year, having lost just 1 starter. They average score was 60-32 and held opponents to 5,7. 10. 11. 14, 15, 19, 19, 21, 26 and 10 games where their opponents only scored in the 30s. Most games the starters played less than half the game.

Edited by bobcatfan#1
added information

5 minutes ago, bobcatfan#1 said:

York's only losses were to 4A Coffee County in a game where they led at the half and to 4A Cookeville, but then beat them in the rematch by 11. York had the 7th toughest schedule and played 7, 4A teams and 7, 3A teams. They only had 8 home games with the other 23 games on the road. They have a Miss Basketball nominee, Reese Beaty. They won the Silver Ball last year beating Gibson County and Gatlinburg-Pittman to reach the finals...and they are a far better team this year, having lost just 1 starter.

No doubt that York is the favorite to win it all this season. 

54 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Yeah I hate to hear that too. Prayers for this young lady from Alcoa. Seen where y’all have had some big wins this year. Safe to say any of these three could win it all. That is GP, Alcoa and McMinn Central. Will be interesting for sure. Johnny Morgan still calling the shots. Good coach and a good guy. I have met him a few times. 

Unless McMinn Central is shooting lights out, their issue will be against a team with big, strong post players.  I still think the gold is York's to lose. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobcatfan#1 said:

York's only losses were to 4A Coffee County in a game where they led at the half and to 4A Cookeville, but then beat them in the rematch by 11. York had the 7th toughest schedule and played 7, 4A teams and 7, 3A teams. They only had 8 home games with the other 23 games on the road. They have a Miss Basketball nominee, Reese Beaty. They won the Silver Ball last year beating Gibson County and Gatlinburg-Pittman to reach the finals...and they are a far better team this year, having lost just 1 starter. They average score was 60-32 and held opponents to 5,7. 10. 11. 14, 15, 19, 19, 21, 26 and 10 games where their opponents only scored in the 30s. Most games the starters played less than half the game.

The State Championship is York’s to Win or Lose. I like their chances based on their performance atp. 

22 hours ago, Eagles1123 said:

Not sure, was watching game against GP last night and noticed she wasn’t in starting lineup then heard announcer say she was out for season with knee 

She's a senior and is committed to UVA Wise.

All I know is what I have heard on Coach T, so I haven't heard the extent of her injury. I saw Macie a couple of times at the end of last season and a few times this season. She and Karli Haworth are the best guard tandem in the state, in my opinion, or at least the best I have seen. She will be missed. I'm praying for a good recovery.

South Greene versus Alcoa was a hard-fought game tonight. Both teams played tough, rugged defense. Alcoa, the bigger team, controlled the boards, which made much of the difference. 

Going into the game, I believed SG's best chance was to get Alcoa into early foul trouble, which did occur when post #14, Amelia Pfeiffer, had two fouls and sat out much of the first half. Later, sure thing to make All-State point guard, Karli Haworth, got into foul trouble and was forced to sit out for a few minutes. This made a difference in the game with #5 Macie Ridge, the other starting guard, out with an injury. SG got within 3 points late, but Alcoa always had an answer that included making their free throws. 

At SG, we will miss Seniors Jordan Roderick and Haley Susong, who had solid games tonight. Four years ago, Roderick was an instant mainstay for her team, while Susong patiently waited until her junior year to get more playing time. She turned out to be a valuable starter her last two years. That is a lesson for players who must hang in there and wait a couple of years for their time to shine. Susong was on fire this season, especially with her outside shooting and defense.

Stephen Gregg did a great job this year coaching a team that often played against bigger teams. I'm looking forward to next year, when he once again leads the Lady Rebels, as they carry on the South Greene basketball tradition.

Great season South Greene Lady Rebels 23—7.

Edited just now by Americal198