NIL Millionaires walking the halls of high schools..

BarneySox2007

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There's a reason car insurance is higher on an 18 year old than a 25 year old and that is called judgement. The same rules will apply here.

Some will crash, others won’t. I expect there is ALOT of money in the pockets of some freshmen and sophomores at most colleges but especially the pricey ones. I was at a private school in Knoxville a few times over the past year watching events and saw a lot of kids driving Porsches, etc. Some make bad choices, and some don’t. But I see your point. So it’s not really the color of the car that causes the insurance to be higher? Lol The extra money should keep them out of too much trouble, we know how that works.

Freeze, Petrino, Pitino, and Meyer are some bigger named adults who have not handled winning the coaching lottery very well. I’m sure there are many others. It seems like Bama went thru some of that pre-Saban. Kiffin put the $$ UT gave him to some questionable use as well. 

Plus, if the high school kids get in trouble, we know to blame it on the terrible parents in today’s world. It is gonna get interesting Barn if we live long enough to see it. Lucky (?) for us, I think it is coming FAST.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:28 AM, Futbolfan2022 said:

I don’t understand how college athletes being paid is going to ruin football? Like you said, they’ve been getting paid for years anyways. Did Erik Dickerson ruin college football when he took all that money to go to SMU? Plus, why shouldn’t kids be able to take money someone is willing to pay them?  Everyone is all about free market and capitalism until it comes to young athletes getting paid. 

For one, do you think a 19-year-old player is going to listen to a coach when he is making more than him just to act in some commercial? There are a lot of potential problems with the way things are heading.

8 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

For one, do you think a 19-year-old player is going to listen to a coach when he is making more than him just to act in some commercial? There are a lot of potential problems with the way things are heading.

That's been happening long before NIL.  Under the table money was the "old" NIL.  

9 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

So one of the most talented individuals in the country shouldn’t be allowed to accept money someone is willing to pay them because a coach wouldn’t be able to manage them? should all these child youtube stars be banned from making their millions because it might be harder for their parents to control them? 

2 hours ago, HTV said:

That's been happening long before NIL.  Under the table money was the "old" NIL.  

Not to the extent that it's happening now because it's happening in the open now. It's different when a kid is openly getting contracts and it's known and talked about in the media the way it is now. Donors used to help athletes get nicer apartments or buy them and/or their parents cars. There's a big difference between that and getting contracts that are worth more than the coach's salary. You honestly think that won't result in a massive breakdown in discipline and a bad product on the field? Money is power. 

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick

1 hour ago, Futbolfan2022 said:

So one of the most talented individuals in the country shouldn’t be allowed to accept money someone is willing to pay them because a coach wouldn’t be able to manage them? should all these child youtube stars be banned from making their millions because it might be harder for their parents to control them? 

No. Adults who offer that kind of money to untested kids are really stupid, though. Let's not forget a certain QB who was the #2 dual threat QB in the country and was pegged to be a better version of Josh Dobbs. Imagine if NIL had been a thing a few years ago and they had given that guy a contract worth $8 million. Just saying 

26 minutes ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

No. Adults who offer that kind of money to untested kids are really stupid, though. Let's not forget a certain QB who was the #2 dual threat QB in the country and was pegged to be a better version of Josh Dobbs. Imagine if NIL had been a thing a few years ago and they had given that guy a contract worth $8 million. Just saying 

That’s not the point. People make bad money choices all the time. Why does that mean someone should be prohibited from taking money that’s offered to them for their services. 

25 minutes ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

So....what about baseball players signing directly out of high school?  Some are instant millionaires every year.  Also, all NIL contracts aren't millions of dollars.  The players who command that type of money are going to a Power 5 school and will NOT be making more than the coach.  I don't see players buying houses next door to Lincoln Riley, Dabo, or Saban...just saying.

50 minutes ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

Not to the extent that it's happening now because it's happening in the open now. It's different when a kid is openly getting contracts and it's known and talked about in the media the way it is now. Donors used to help athletes get nicer apartments or buy them and/or their parents cars. There's a big difference between that and getting contracts that are worth more than the coach's salary. You honestly think that won't result in a massive breakdown in discipline and a bad product on the field? Money is power. 

Disagree in a big way.  

When the money was under the table threats of exposure for breaking rules were very much in play.  There were very little risks of penalty to players caught taking money.  See the players from UT who fled and were immediately eligible elsewhere in the Happy Meal scandal.  The ones left in the lurch were coaches and schools for illegal benefits.  

Now that it's out in the open, not so much threat to anybody.  

4 hours ago, HTV said:

If he is then they will find another big NIL deal QB.  That's just where the game is headed.  

No doubt this is the new world. I'm just to old school. Sure programs have been cheating forever and very obvious who the worst ones have been. Maybe it's my age but I hate nothing worse than some ole cocky kid with his group of hanger own's worshiping every move they make. I'm so sick of looking at the sports on my phone and seeing another story about Arch Manning's last bowel movement and how it could determine where he lands. Personally hope he lands at Texas and ends up in Sarkisian's firing in two years when all the fat money cats pull the rug out from under him.