TSSAA BOC Meeting...Mercy rule changed

VOLnWTN

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why the mercy rule has been changed. A lot of people are still trying to figure that out. The best answer I've heard was "it was reduced from 35 to 30 because they don't want the kicker to miss an XP and it's stuck at 34 points." So, the TSSAA has devalued an XP? If a game does hit mercy rule and start a running clock in the 4th quarter, it only saves about 10-15 minutes of actual time. Is that worth it? I don't think so.

I'm curious as to who figured this out, because there are several different options to make High School football a better product than to reduce the mercy rule. A lot of people invest their time and money into the players to the point where this sounds like a desperate mood to "get the game over with and let's get out."

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that lowering the mercy rule threshold does nothing but further soften an already soft society. Teams who don't believe in or can't kick an extra point get an extra touchdown drive for all practical purposes vs teams that have good kicking games.

I would be ok with a 30 point football mercy rule under one condition. That condition is that it not start until the 4th quarter. Jmo

Once again, we change a rule that did not need changing.

• Upvote 1