Haywood Tomcats 2022

Kruger77

25 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Kinda thought the same thing. What about Briarcrest, MUS, Lausanne, Oakland, Germantown, even hit the road to Mississippi if needed. I know there is something up because Coach Smith is not scared to play anyone. Look who he played when he was the HC of his previous school. 

Again, I think this schedule is just going to hurt them in the long run. There are really only 2 games on the schedule that someone might question if they could win it..... 2. 

We reached out to several Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi powers. Also every school mentioned above... we will probably pick up Oakland next season. Covington and Henry County are the only area teams with a set, imo that would play if they didn't have to. As a side note, most teams in Memphis are aware of how good this team and staff are from their time in Memphis and want no part of the phusicality.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

True last time we played an outta state team was 2016 or 2017 against Marion high out of Illinois we won that game

We played Olive Branch, MS in 2019 and lost 42-7.  We played Marion in the season opener in 2016 and defeated the Wildcats by a score of 35-34.  It was a very exciting back and forth game. 

https://www.dailyrepublicannews.com/sports/20160828/wildcats-lose-tough-one-against-haywood

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

And honestly with the lack of community support it’s hard finding travel 

I have been to several Tomcats games over the years. The stands are always packed! I would encourage our neighbors to the west to get a touchdown or quarterback club to help raise funds to operate the football team with. You sell memberships, apparel, season tickets, gold cards... etc...  

29 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

And honestly with the lack of community support it’s hard finding travel 

Speaking of the lack of community support...I just learned today that we no longer have a football booster club.  For a team that has won 10 or more games every season for the last 6 years and played in two state championship games over that same period of time, what's up with that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Speaking of the lack of community support...I just learned today that we no longer have a football booster club.  For a team that has won 10 or more games every season for the last 6 years and played in two state championship games over that same period of time, what's up with that?

That’s the type of stuff I’m talkin bout smh, it’s sad.. the high school sells merchandise but as far as the community backing them it’s bad. If we were a losing team there would be no one in the stands. Prime example in 2018. We began the season 2-4. Mind you we played briarcrest (L) MUS (L) Dyersburg (L) and Henry Co. (L) the stands where so bare you could see the back of the press box. And when they hit their stride the “the support” came back we lost to greeneville that season 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Those of you who have kept up with this thread know how hard it has been for Haywood to find a preseason scrimmage game much less a non-region regular season game. 

I wish we’d kept HC and played them game one like previous years. Last two years our pre season games have been whitehaven and this year Bartlett 

2 minutes ago, stacmot said:

What happened to the rivalry with Henry County?  You hear a lot of stories, so I don't know if it's true or not, but I have heard they dropped us because they wanted to beef up their schedule. 

I believe it was by mutual agreement. They scrimmage every year for the reason you just saw. No one else will participate with them. Also, the two head coaches are very close and clinic together and had played for six straight years at Germantown and HC and were probably tired of beating up on each other. Smith actually held a 4-2 lead I believe. 

11 minutes ago, stacmot said:

What happened to the rivalry with Henry County?  You hear a lot of stories, so I don't know if it's true or not, but I have heard they dropped us because they wanted to beef up their schedule. 

Hc first 4 games include . Summit, beech and Brentwood. Imo Henry county had the toughest schedule in West TN no matter the class 

Edited by Tomcatfan2011

28 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I have been to several Tomcats games over the years. The stands are always packed! I would encourage our neighbors to the west to get a touchdown or quarterback club to help raise funds to operate the football team with. You sell memberships, apparel, season tickets, gold cards... etc...  

We have had a very successful booster club in the past, I'm not sure what happened.  We know how it's done, but for some reason it's not getting done.  TBH, I believe the school system as a whole has lost a great deal of community support.

• Like 1