Haywood Tomcats 2022

Kruger77

11 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Y'all actually scheduled Ensworth first, but when that game didn't work out you scheduled Haywood.  Lake Co. doesn't dodge stiff competition, and that is one reason why Lake County's program is so successful. 

This year's game should be a good one, especially with Coach Puckett on Haywood's staff.  I'm looking forward to it..

True we actually did schedule Ensworth first. LC has the same problem Haywood has. Schools LC size will not play unless forced to by playing in the same region.

13 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

True we actually did schedule Ensworth first. LC has the same problem Haywood has. Schools LC size will not play unless forced to by playing in the same region.

Yup. I tip my hat to Falcons for scheduling such a game. Most coaches do not have the intestinal fortitude to do it. However, we are not talking about a game that goes on your record, we are talking about a freaking scrimmage. No fans, scoreboards, tickets, or even the national anthem played! 

What I find funny is that since coach Smith took over at Haywood, he has not embarrassed a single opponent, not 1. There have been some blowouts, but the starters were pulled early and the younger kids got to play.  

We always scrimmaged Haywood, Covington, or Henry county before they were actually put on our schedule. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Foolish IMO. If you are a football coach why would you not want to play a really good team in the preseason? They are going to show you what you need to work on the most. There is no scoreboard.... Foolishness IMO. I can say with certainty that the Memphis schools are going to have a really hard time scheduling anyone outside of Shelby county, because they are so prone to cancel, or not show up. One of the teams did it to Milan last year. They claimed it was because they could not find transportation. Milan offered to send 2 busses down there and they still refused... 

How did the Ripley-SGC scrimmage turn out?

52 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

You could make 4 Lake county high schools and still not be as big as Haywood. That's how much a student ration difference there is between the 2 schools. Lake county aint scared! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stacmot said:

A scrimmage with Bartlett sounds great!  My thanks to the Panther coaching staff for making it happen.

Years ago we played regular season games against Bartlett, Collierville, and Germantown. 

I wish we could get one or two of those teams back on our schedule.  I also think Arlington would make a good rivalry.  Both schools are located just a few miles off of I-40, so it would basically be 40 miles of straight interstate travel.

I know that there are a  lot of factors that have to be considered, and I know we have no influence over scheduling, but just for the fun of it, are there any other Haywood fans who would like to mention some teams they'd like to see the Tomcats play?

I also hope we can keep Covington on our schedule.  Fans and players today don't know how big of a rivalry that game was back in the day.

Those fans who are able to attend the scrimmage PLEASE let us know how it goes.

I will be going to the scrimmage