Haywood Tomcats 2022

Kruger77

I could provide a list of everyone who declined to play Haywood in a scrimmage, but it is easy to say who would play. Oakland would play, but are already scheduled. Lausanne is in with Briarcrest this week, but Briarcrest would not play the Tomcats. Covington and Henry County would play, but for obvious reasons that won't happen. The most common reason heard is the physicality Haywood plays with and fear of injury. It seems that the Tomcats are being blacklisted from a scrimmage. So looks like if nothing changes they will have have to scrimmage themselves a few times to get ready for Henry County. I have lost a lot of respect for West Tennessee s (especially the big boys in Memphis) the past few years. And there are teams who would be natural to scrimmage with like Ripley and Dyersburg but that won't happen. It's really disgusting.

12 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

I could provide a list of everyone who declined to play Haywood in a scrimmage, but it is easy to say who would play. Oakland would play, but are already scheduled. Lausanne is in with Briarcrest this week, but Briarcrest would not play the Tomcats. Covington and Henry County would play, but for obvious reasons that won't happen. The most common reason heard is the physicality Haywood plays with and fear of injury. It seems that the Tomcats are being blacklisted from a scrimmage. So looks like if nothing changes they will have have to scrimmage themselves a few times to get ready for Henry County. I have lost a lot of respect for West Tennessee s (especially the big boys in Memphis) the past few years. And there are teams who would be natural to scrimmage with like Ripley and Dyersburg but that won't happen. It's really disgusting.

I just heard that Haywood is scrimmaging Bartlett!!

Go Tomcats!

4 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

That would be awesome. Bartlett is loaded and has a good coaching staff. I'll try and confirm that 

Just now, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Yes haywood is scrimmaging Bartlett tomorrow in Bartlett 

This will be a great test for the Tomcats!! Wish i could be there to watch it! Whoever goes, keep us updated!!

On 7/29/2022 at 2:39 PM, reddyrebel6 said:

Southwind backed out of their scrimmage with Haywood because of a wet field... those Memphis teams. The Tomcats reached out to 14 other teams int he area and were told no. I understand why!

Foolish IMO. If you are a football coach why would you not want to play a really good team in the preseason? They are going to show you what you need to work on the most. There is no scoreboard.... Foolishness IMO. I can say with certainty that the Memphis schools are going to have a really hard time scheduling anyone outside of Shelby county, because they are so prone to cancel, or not show up. One of the teams did it to Milan last year. They claimed it was because they could not find transportation. Milan offered to send 2 busses down there and they still refused... 

A scrimmage with Bartlett sounds great!  My thanks to the Panther coaching staff for making it happen.

Years ago we played regular season games against Bartlett, Collierville, and Germantown. 

I wish we could get one or two of those teams back on our schedule.  I also think Arlington would make a good rivalry.  Both schools are located just a few miles off of I-40, so it would basically be 40 miles of straight interstate travel.

I know that there are a  lot of factors that have to be considered, and I know we have no influence over scheduling, but just for the fun of it, are there any other Haywood fans who would like to mention some teams they'd like to see the Tomcats play?

I also hope we can keep Covington on our schedule.  Fans and players today don't know how big of a rivalry that game was back in the day.

Those fans who are able to attend the scrimmage PLEASE let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

A scrimmage with Bartlett sounds great!  My thanks to the Panther coaching staff for making it happen.

Years ago we played regular season games against Bartlett, Collierville, and Germantown. 

I wish we could get one or two of those teams back on our schedule.  I also think Arlington would make a good rivalry.  Both schools are located just a few miles off of I-40, so it would basically be 40 miles of straight interstate travel.

I know that there are a  lot of factors that have to be considered, and I know we have no influence over scheduling, but just for the fun of it, are there any other Haywood fans who would like to mention some teams they'd like to see the Tomcats play?

I also hope we can keep Covington on our schedule.  Fans and players today don't know how big of a rivalry that game was back in the day.

Those fans who are able to attend the scrimmage PLEASE let us know how it goes.

Filling the schedule has become a big issue.... all those teams have been asked to schedule the Tomcats over the last three years. We want and need competition.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Filling the schedule has become a big issue.... all those teams have been asked to schedule the Tomcats over the last three years. We want and need competition.

It is sad that the bigger schools in Memphis and some in West Tennessee will not schedule Haywood County. 1A Lake County scheduled Haywood you would think some bigger schools would schedule

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Well!  You know!   Arlington had to play a big home and home series with Halls back in 2019 and 2020.  What's up with that?  Did Arlington have that much trouble filling their schedule?  However, I do commend Halls (1A) for taking on the challenge of playing Arlington (6A).

I know that filling the schedule is a big issue, and I'm not saying we don't try to schedule those teams.  I just hope we keep trying.  I'm a big believer in playing a tough schedule in preparation for the playoffs.  If that results in a few loses, so what?

I wasn't trying to tell the coaching staff who to schedule.  Just for the fun of it, I was just dreaming about what a good non-region schedule might look like. 

Ripley, Dyersburg, Brighton, Munford would also be some good non-region fillers, but that's not happening.  There are a lot of feelings and factors that have to be worked around in order to make non-region games happen.

Maybe with the next reclassification, some of those teams will be reclassified with us and make scheduling a little bit easier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

It is sad that the bigger schools in Memphis and some in West Tennessee will not schedule Haywood County. 1A Lake County scheduled Haywood you would think some bigger schools would schedule

Y'all actually scheduled Ensworth first, but when that game didn't work out you scheduled Haywood.  Lake Co. doesn't dodge stiff competition, and that is one reason why Lake County's program is so successful. 

This year's game should be a good one, especially with Coach Puckett on Haywood's staff.  I'm looking forward to it..