West TN Top Football Programs Historically

So I saw a post by a particular west tn high school football team on Facebook the other day that had a very interesting signature. It said “West TN Premier HS Football Program”. While they are a great team year in and year out I did not agree with that statement mainly cause they have no gold balls in the trophy case. So I want to get some feedback from posters on the top programs in rural west tn outside of Memphis. I think a good criteria should be 1.  Championships 2.  All-Time wins 3.  Recent success 4.  Consistency 5.  Community Support

Im going to list a top 5 and I would love to hear others opinions as well for some good conversation  Remember this is excluding Memphis.  

1. Milan

2.  Peabody

3.  Union City

4.  Henry Co  

5.  Lake Co  

I think a case could be made for any of the top 3 to be #1 especially since they all have 4 gold balls.  I would not argue with anyone that had Peabody or UC at #1.  I just put Milan there because of the 10 trips to the title game.  Henry Co has 2 gold balls and a silver in 5A and that speaks volumes to me.  And Lake Co has 3 titles one being very recent with a dominant team.  What is everyone’s thoughts??

The fact that you left Huntingdon off this is funny to me. Let me guess, your phone would not let you spell " Huntindung " or " Mustanks "

This list is not complete without them on it. 

/edit, Folks, BPM knows they should be on this list, but he hates the mustangs so much he refused to put them on it. 

Edited by ManOfMillions

1 minute ago, ManOfMillions said:

The fact that you left Huntingdon off this is funny to me. Let me guess, your phone would not let you spell " Huntindung " or " Mustanks "

This list is not complete without them on it. 

Who would you put them above in my top 5?  They have 1 gold and 2 silver balls. Less than all in the top 5. LC owned them in the playoffs a couple of years ago. And in the 2010’s the Stanks had some heavily favored teams in terms of ranking and favored to win titles only to come up short in the playoffs. You and I both know how much I dislike them but I respect their program. Just don’t think historically I would have them ahead of any of my top 5. Would have them in the 6-10 range. Probably with Covington, Haywood, USJ and maybe McKenzie. 

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Who would you put them above in my top 5?  They have 1 gold and 2 silver balls. Less than all in the top 5. LC owned them in the playoffs a couple of years ago. And in the 2010’s the Stanks had some heavily favored teams in terms of ranking and favored to win titles only to come up short in the playoffs. You and I both know how much I dislike them but I respect their program. Just don’t think historically I would have them ahead of any of my top 5. Would have them in the 6-10 range. Probably with Covington, Haywood, USJ and maybe McKenzie. 

Don't they at least deserve an honorable mention or something? In the mustangs defense they have a winning record over your number 1 Milan bulldogs for the past 10 years. I think its 6-4. Including a 3 game winning streak from 17 to 20. They have played single A or double A the entire time, meanwhile Milan has been 3A and recently jumped up to play 4A.... Kid brother beating up on the big dog I guess. If I were you, I would hate them also. When y'all can figure out how to beat them more consistently, I wouldn't cast a shade on them by not even giving them an honorable mention or something on your list. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

First of all there was historically a load of football played before the play-offs ever began. The Mustangs have always been good. We've never had any long losing streaks. For our size we are the top program in west Tennessee. You're just to young to know much!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't know a whole lot about the history of West TN football but looking at some of the teams listed I think Huntingdon has to be in there. Look at their "history". I know titles was one of your criteria and I get that. One of the teams you have listed was a .500 team until the last decade. Teams can go on runs especially when there is success it helps build it up, but if you want to say historically Huntingdon decade by decade has been a better program than some mentioned. Like I said I'm just an East TN guy looking from afar. All good programs no doubt. Good topic.

36 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

First of all there was historically a load of football played before the play-offs ever began. The Mustangs have always been good. We've never had any long losing streaks. For our size we are the top program in west Tennessee. You're just to young to know much!

I agree there was a ton of football played before the playoff era began. Never said they were bad. I said I respect the program and all they have accomplished. As far as my age goes you have no clue how old I am. That would be like me making the assumption that your too old to be in your right mind. Come on croppy… your better than that. Again I think the mustanks have a great program just in my opinion not one of the top 5 historically. 

44 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Don't they at least deserve an honorable mention or something? In the mustangs defense they have a winning record over your number 1 Milan bulldogs for the past 10 years. I think its 6-4. Including a 3 game winning streak from 17 to 20. They have played single A or double A the entire time, meanwhile Milan has been 3A and recently jumped up to play 4A.... Kid brother beating up on the big dog I guess. If I were you, I would hate them also. When y'all can figure out how to beat them more consistently, I wouldn't cast a shade on them by not even giving them an honorable mention or something on your list. 

First, the comment about 17-20 is incorrect cause we mercy ruled them in 2020. Second, I did give them an honorable mention. I said they were a fine program and would be in my 6-10 range. Third, I know you are just trying to get a rise out of me. 

7 minutes ago, CoyDillard said:

Don't know a whole lot about the history of West TN football but looking at some of the teams listed I think Huntingdon has to be in there. Look at their "history". I know titles was one of your criteria and I get that. One of the teams you have listed was a .500 team until the last decade. Teams can go on runs especially when there is success it helps build it up, but if you want to say historically Huntingdon decade by decade has been a better program than some mentioned. Like I said I'm just an East TN guy looking from afar. All good programs no doubt. Good topic.

Who is the team that was .500 until the last decade?  Peabody??

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

15 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

First, the comment about 17-20 is incorrect cause we mercy ruled them in 2020. Second, I did give them an honorable mention. I said they were a fine program and would be in my 6-10 range. Third, I know you are just trying to get a rise out of me. 

What about them being a lot smaller school and still having a winning record against your dogs? I can't imagine if they had same amount of kids as y'all. You are correct the 3 game winning streak was from 17 to 19. Still, the Mustangs own the dogs... 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Who is the team that was .500 until the last decade?  Peabody??

All Time vs

Milan 40-48-1, not bad against great program that's twice our size plus refs had a say in a few of their losses as you know!

Peabody 23-6-1 come on

Henry Co 13-7-2 always owned them

Union City 11-11 always tough opponent

Lake Co 2-2

Info from Huntingdon program