West TN Top Football Programs Historically

20 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

So I saw a post by a particular west tn high school football team on Facebook the other day that had a very interesting signature. It said “West TN Premier HS Football Program”. While they are a great team year in and year out I did not agree with that statement mainly cause they have no gold balls in the trophy case. So I want to get some feedback from posters on the top programs in rural west tn outside of Memphis. I think a good criteria should be 1.  Championships 2.  All-Time wins 3.  Recent success 4.  Consistency 5.  Community Support

Im going to list a top 5 and I would love to hear others opinions as well for some good conversation  Remember this is excluding Memphis.  

1. Milan

2.  Peabody

3.  Union City

4.  Henry Co  

5.  Lake Co  

I think a case could be made for any of the top 3 to be #1 especially since they all have 4 gold balls.  I would not argue with anyone that had Peabody or UC at #1.  I just put Milan there because of the 10 trips to the title game.  Henry Co has 2 gold balls and a silver in 5A and that speaks volumes to me.  And Lake Co has 3 titles one being very recent with a dominant team.  What is everyone’s thoughts??

I think players you've sent to college or beyond should have some role in this discussion.

18 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Who would you put them above in my top 5?  They have 1 gold and 2 silver balls. Less than all in the top 5. LC owned them in the playoffs a couple of years ago. And in the 2010’s the Stanks had some heavily favored teams in terms of ranking and favored to win titles only to come up short in the playoffs. You and I both know how much I dislike them but I respect their program. Just don’t think historically I would have them ahead of any of my top 5. Would have them in the 6-10 range. Probably with Covington, Haywood, USJ and maybe McKenzie. 

Question Big Dawg, Croppy you too. Would a gold ball for usj put them over Huntingdon in your mind? They have a bunch of silver, always a good team, and have a boatload of former Mr Football winners. Just interested to see what y'all think 

8 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Question Big Dawg, Croppy you too. Would a gold ball for usj put them over Huntingdon in your mind? They have a bunch of silver, always a good team, and have a boatload of former Mr Football winners. Just interested to see what y'all think 

Hard to compare, not a level playing field.USJ is still a young program. Don't think they have ever beat the Mustangs. I do know that USJ has the best young girls basketball player that I maybe have ever seen!

2 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

All Time vs

Milan 40-48-1, not bad against great program that's twice our size plus refs had a say in a few of their losses as you know!

Peabody 23-6-1 come on

Henry Co 13-7-2 always owned them

Union City 11-11 always tough opponent

Lake Co 2-2

Info from Huntingdon program

You make some good points Croppy. Two things. First, we are not twice the size of you. Not even close. In 2020, the last time schools had to report enrollments the Stanks were at 399 and Milan was at 568. Yes we are larger but not even close to twice as big. Second, I agree on the record against Peabody. It speaks for itself. But serious question for you. If you could have your 23-6-1 record against Peabody with 1 gold ball or 4 gold balls, which would you pick???  I think Peabody fans would be happy with the losing record to Huntingdung and keeping the gold balls.  Oh and I have provided a link for enrollments in case you doubted me. 

https://tssaa.org/2020-fall-enrollments

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Hard to compare, not a level playing field.USJ is still a young program. Don't think they have ever beat the Mustangs. I do know that USJ has the best young girls basketball player that I maybe have ever seen!

I agree with Croppy on this one. It is hard to compare USJ now to the public school teams in West TN. Now that they can give scholarships and recruit players (totally within the rules) it’s not a fair comparison. Also, Division 2-A is very watered down. Yes they have a lot of silver but I was more impressed with the silver they got in the public school leagues. They had to go thru about 50 other teams in their class to get there. Had they won a gold ball or two over there I would definitely consider them ahead of Huntingdung but because they didn’t I would put Huntingdung a head. Now USJ competes against 25-30 other teams for a state crown and a lot of those teams aren’t very good. Just my two cents. 

8 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree with Croppy on this one. It is hard to compare USJ now to the public school teams in West TN. Now that they can give scholarships and recruit players (totally within the rules) it’s not a fair comparison. Also, Division 2-A is very watered down. Yes they have a lot of silver but I was more impressed with the silver they got in the public school leagues. They had to go thru about 50 other teams in their class to get there. Had they won a gold ball or two over there I would definitely consider them ahead of Huntingdung but because they didn’t I would put Huntingdung a head. Now USJ competes against 25-30 other teams for a state crown and a lot of those teams aren’t very good. Just my two cents. 

Careful, your going to upset the sweater vest guys! HA! We played Lausanne this past season and they were the real deal! It's been a bit since we have played any of the privates from Jackson, but Lausanne was the real deal. We are very fortunate to have won that game. They gifted us a possession towards the end that allowed us to run the clock out. 

14 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Careful, your going to upset the sweater vest guys! HA! We played Lausanne this past season and they were the real deal! It's been a bit since we have played any of the privates from Jackson, but Lausanne was the real deal. We are very fortunate to have won that game. They gifted us a possession towards the end that allowed us to run the clock out. 

They are D2-AA. That is a step up from the class that USJ plays in. 

8 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

I’d love to see the state as far as all time wins. I’m sure haywood would be in the top 3 in wins all time if not #1

They aren't even in the top 5 in wins all time.

Maryville- 838 Wins

Dobyns Bennett- 813 wins

MBA- 778

Alcoa-747

Baylor- 736

1 minute ago, ManOfMillions said:

No doubt. I think he meant in W. TN. I had no idea that DB was this high on the all times wins list. 

He didn't he said "I’d love to see the state as far as all time wins."

DB has been playing since 1921 (75% winning percentage since then too) and had a sign in their football stadium below the score board of "All Time winningest Football Program".  Fun Fact is Maryville beat DB to take over that lead a few years ago at DB