Cookeville vs Upperman

Volsfan52

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

If you have proof that someone started at a school in 9th grade and transfer without a change of address or sitting out a year then you need to turn them in to the TSSAA so they will enforce their rules.  (they don’t just send people out without a school requesting it)

If you don’t like “open zoning” then get people to go to the school board and change it strictly to a closed zoned school system.  What a lot of people don’t understand is what is classified as “open zone” is any school system that has a transfer policy on file which it would be hard pressed to find a school that doesn’t unless it’s a school system with only one high school in it. It doesn’t matter if it’s hard as can be to get a transfer or not either it’s if they have it in their policy’s.

I just hate when people cry about open zoning almost all schools in Tennessee are open zoned

Rest assured that Cookeville did file a complaint and the TSSAA did come and investigate Rollins’s legitimate change of address last season when he was a sophomore. Terrence has played all four years at Upperman. Cullum transferred in as a freshman and sat out last year because he had practiced with Cookeville in the summer of 2021. Any other “new” kids transferred in directly out of middle school. Looks like Upperman isn’t exactly the zip code pirates that Cookeville claims. 

43 minutes ago, Goldeaglefan said:

Rest assured that Cookeville did file a complaint and the TSSAA did come and investigate Rollins’s legitimate change of address last season when he was a sophomore. Terrence has played all four years at Upperman. Cullum transferred in as a freshman and sat out last year because he had practiced with Cookeville in the summer of 2021. Any other “new” kids transferred in directly out of middle school. Looks like Upperman isn’t exactly the zip code pirates that Cookeville claims. 

I don't know what a zip code pirate is but I probably don't want to meet one.  

3 hours ago, Swipes said:

Not a Upperman Fan (Will probably see them in the play-offs if we both make it to the Semi's).  Just a former football coach that has dealt with the TSSAA in the past.

Am an Upperman supporter and it'll be a good season if we see you guys in the playoffs.  Still trying to break the "semi ceiling" though. This team shows a lot of promise.  Lot of dirt to be turned between now and then.  Good luck and good health to your guys.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, blueeyes said:

Id say 14-7 at the half,    28-7 End...  But, I was there for the Jamboree... Monterey Youth > Baxter Youth.   Baxter will have to get help from Cookeville to Compete, and I think that Gravy Train stops for Baxter now that Cookeville has a young and upcoming Coach.  

I heard Monterey was very good this year. Could Putnam County bring home 2 gold balls in football this year??? Time will tell

2 hours ago, Alumn89 said:

I'd challenge you to find the TSSAA definition of what an open zoned school is matching yours.    It isn't in the by laws and based on anything I've ever found they basically consider schools like Maryville who accept students from outside of the county or school system as "open zoned".  

I consider Putnam County "soft zoned" because they have zones in place for these schools , but they only exist right now for bus purposes or in the case the school becomes over crowded.  

Maybe you can find it for me. 

I don't envy you dealing with TSSAA in the past.  They seem like a headache to deal with. 

Either way, this thread has gone off the rails a bit and I apologize for that.  Enjoy the rest of the season!

It wasn't hard when I called back when i coached and asked them what their definition of "open zoning" was.  They stated any school who has a transfer policy on file and can accept a student that the bus for school they are attending doesn't run to their mailing address is "open zoned". You will not see the word "open zone" in their bylaws since thats a School Board decision not the TSSAA's.  

So the question is can a Kid enroll as a 9th grader to a school that the bus for the school doesn't run to their house?  If the answer is Yes you are open zoned.  Can a kids transfer into your school, sit out a year if they have a sports record, but not change addresses?  If the answer is yes your open zoned.

Everyone always bring up Maryville.  Maryville is open zoned along with Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount.  Same way that all Greeneville and Greene County Schools, Elizabethton and Carter County Schools, etc.

Soft Zones?  Every School in the state has zones in place for their schools (Bus Routes) but once again if i can live in downtown Cookeville and send my 9th grader to Upperman even though my address is zoned for Cookeville High School you are open zoned.

Here is how the TSSAA defines a school Territory:

For a public school, the “territory” of the school is the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education. For a system-wide public school, charter school, or a home school student participating at a public school, the “territory” of the school is the geographic boundaries of the school system. For a non-public school or a home school student participating at a non-public school, the “territory” of the school is the area within a twenty (20) mile radius from the school.

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Then dealing with them in the past you totally understand how relative the rules are for the teams that are really good at covering up recruiting or enrollment violations or either by giving parents or family jobs at the school or in the community or even to the extent of renting apartments out for the kids family to live in it happens every year all over the state.

The TSSAA is a joke of organization all they do is collect their “nonprofit” salaries and do little to nothing to relegate any of the sports. Football Is probably the most enforced to be honest because it makes them the most money. However, If you think they are going to enforce their own rules, especially the open enrollment one, unless the circumstance is handed to them on a silver platter and multiple people are raising a stink about it than your just as naive as they are Swipes. I know you’ve been on these boards a while and this is not new info for you, but most the time they won’t even investigate claims unless someone has already done the work for them or as I said multiple complaints 

I've also seen and 8-0 Powell football team a few years ago have to forfeit all 8 games because another Knox County School turned them in for an ineligible player and miss the play-offs.  TSSAA wants to see proof for an Administrator or Coach before they start investigating something.  It can't be from a Coacht Board or ole Billy Bob calling into the TSSAA saying this team or that team is recruiting.

The TSSAA isn't like the 87,000 new IRS agents that are about to be put in place.  They don't have the man power to police the entire state and rely on coaches and administrators to help enforce the rules that every member school signs a contract for.  They wont investigate anything unless it comes from a School and they have evidence of it (It's hard to prove something without evidence).  I by no means like the TSSAA especially after the who Powell Baseball incident this past years and they wouldn't watch the film or read the news article where proof was shown just because Bearden didn't file a formal complaint.  Sounds like we need more school administrators stepping up if they believe any school is playing above the rules

• Upvote 2

The transfer thing has been a problem for many years. At least the private schools don’t play the public schools like they did when I was high school. Lol

it really sucked playing mus and Brentwood academy in the 2nd round. We only like 30 to 40 players each season. I graduated in 1990. I’m old lol

Kinda been on the sidelines of this one, but tagging in now.  So when Cookeville brought in two D1 signees from Wilson Co and a QB from McMinnville, there was no problem with transfers.  A couple of years ago, Cookeville's best athlete on the football team had played his freshmen year at Upperman. Don't recall anyone railing against that.  When two girl's basketball players went from Upperman to Cookeville, not a peep.  Speaking of basketball, where did those new guys the boys team had last year magically appear from?  What about the guard from Celina?  Cookeville benefits just as much as anyone from transfers, sounds like they just don't want anyone else too.  A little hypocritical wouldn't you say?  Or do you think the mighty Cavaliers are entitled more than others?  Glass houses dude.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dragline said:

Kinda been on the sidelines of this one, but tagging in now.  So when Cookeville brought in two D1 signees from Wilson Co and a QB from McMinnville, there was no problem with transfers.  A couple of years ago, Cookeville's best athlete on the football team had played his freshmen year at Upperman. Don't recall anyone railing against that.  When two girl's basketball players went from Upperman to Cookeville, not a peep.  Speaking of basketball, where did those new guys the boys team had last year magically appear from?  What about the guard from Celina?  Cookeville benefits just as much as anyone from transfers, sounds like they just don't want anyone else too.  A little hypocritical wouldn't you say?  Or do you think the mighty Cavaliers are entitled more than others?  Glass houses dude.

You are spot on !!!!! Cookeville people are just mad because they can’t beat Upperman like always. Caine is one of the best football coaches in the state. The JVs played Monday night and Upperman destroyed Cookeville… Does that sound like things are gonna change anytime soon. Cookeville people need to stop crying…. Oh and by the way Rollins is a Baxter kid, he went to elementary school at Cornerstone. He only followed his travel football coach to Avery trace middle school. From there he went to Cookeville thinking that it would be great to play with his teammates and see how that went…. they finally realize the best coaching and best team would be to the west. Multiple kids have tried to come to Upperman and can’t make it in practice because how hard it is ….. to be honest Cookeville has three or four kids that were at Upperman last year that couldn’t make it….and what I’m telling is the complete truth!!!

Not really my intent to crack on Alumni, seems like a reasonable poster at times.  Just seems to lack info or is maybe toeing the company line a little too much.  Let's take the comments about how the turf came to be.  The most truthful part of that was that it "mostly" came from donations. What does that mean?  Does it mean that what they got was a bunch of pledges?  And if someone decides not to meet their obligation, who's on the hook for it?  I hope they got or get every thing that was committed.  But how would one ever know?  Should UHS go raise the money as you suggested or just get the BOE on board?  And in a few years, what happens when it needs to be replaced?  Basically, minus the drainage, it'll cost just as much too replace.  Have the bake sales and car washes already started so you can "raise" the money again?  And what about that $300,000 track paid for with public money?  That's probably more than what is spent on Upperman football facilities in ten years or more.