Peabody vs Milan Week 1

14 minutes ago, BeQuiet said:

Good point and post but I believe it was intentional 

Before I retired from coaching, a younger assistant would always quote Bobby Bowden from his days at West Virginia. He once told Lou Holtz, who at the time was at William and Mary, "It's your job to keep the score down, not mine" as the game finished very lopsided. While I understand taking out 5 years of frustration can build up into wanting to score as much as possible, I also believe as one gentleman already mentioned that Karma is alive and well. I'll also say going victory formation is so sweet. To just bleed the clock knowing the opponent is hopeless and have them just be spectators to your accomplishment can be pretty satisfying. I know I always enjoyed it.

I'm excited for both schools for what looks to be promising seasons. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Edited by PercyPeabody

Congratulations to Milan, they were the better team last night.  Both teams had opportunities throughout the game and they capitalized. Couple of takeaways.

Milan:  Lots to be excited about.  Program appears to be headed in right direction under Carr.  Their RB’s are really good, tough to stop, and that Pruitt kid made some great catches.  Solid effort by QB too.  I thought their defense really did a good job of bending but not breaking all night.  Played solid football, and didn’t make mistakes that cost them very much.  Deserved to win.

Trenton:  Great effort, and didn’t quit with the adversity faced.  After the 2nd string QB went down, the game could have gotten out of hand, but they made it a game.  Defintely don’t think it’s fair to judge them based on this game since the offense is so far from what it could be at 100%.  Also I think a lot of the mistakes made came from inexperience, and will improve as the season goes along.

30 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

Before I retired from coaching, a younger assistant would always quote Bobby Bowden from his days at West Virginia. He once told Lou Holtz, who at the time was at William and Mary, "It's your job to keep the score down, not mine" as the game finished very lopsided. While I understand taking out 5 years of frustration can build up into wanting to score as much as possible, I also believe as one gentleman already mentioned that Karma is alive and well. I'll also say going victory formation is so sweet. To just bleed the clock knowing the opponent is hopeless and have them just be spectators to your accomplishment can be pretty satisfying. I know I always enjoyed it.

I'm excited for both schools for what looks to be promising seasons. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Thanks

You are a class act.

18 minutes ago, Archiewho said:

Congratulations to Milan, they were the better team last night.  Both teams had opportunities throughout the game and they capitalized. Couple of takeaways.

Milan:  Lots to be excited about.  Program appears to be headed in right direction under Carr.  Their RB’s are really good, tough to stop, and that Pruitt kid made some great catches.  Solid effort by QB too.  I thought their defense really did a good job of bending but not breaking all night.  Played solid football, and didn’t make mistakes that cost them very much.  Deserved to win.

Trenton:  Great effort, and didn’t quit with the adversity faced.  After the 2nd string QB went down, the game could have gotten out of hand, but they made it a game.  Defintely don’t think it’s fair to judge them based on this game since the offense is so far from what it could be at 100%.  Also I think a lot of the mistakes made came from inexperience, and will improve as the season goes along.

Good analysis 

1 hour ago, RexKwonDo said:

Was able to watch this game on Trenton's facebook live page and was very impressed at the quality of the video and  instant replay  the commentators did an excellent job as well. Very impressive production for a high school football game.

That's where I watched it and I was also impressed with the quality of the broadcast. 

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Peabody’s weakness is their Kicking Game. Other than that they will be really tough by years end if they stay healthy. May win it all. Prayers to both QB’s for Peabody to heal. Congratulations BPM!! I didn’t message you because I didn’t get there until start of 2nd Quarter. Milan’s QB can sure throw it Milan has a nice team. Both teams are great West TN teams. Great atmosphere!!!

Thanks man. And yes it was a packed house last night. 

Great Game and atmosphere! Here are my takeaways.

Skilled Athletes - Milan. Milan had some threats that didn't even touch the Ball last night. 3 RB's that would start for most any team. The receivers will recover from the first game jitters and they will score some points. 

QB - not a fair analysis. Trentons guys played with heart and they played hard. Milans QB played smart, was very accurate and protected the football.

Line play - Push - Peabody will dominate 1a when their line gets in just a little better shape.  They did do fairly well, but were not the bulldozers we heard about prior to the game. Milan was a few shoestring tackles away from breaking several long runs,  but got stuffed a few times as well.  both will get better throughout the season. 

Special Teams - Milan - the pooch kicks that were given up were the a major difference in the game. Even if you have a starting QB, if they miss out on two possessions it's hard  to score. short punts for Peabody and an onside kick that didn't make it ten yards are hopefully correctible things as the season moves on. 

Overall - Milan had two Big Redzone stops. One a defensive Stand, and another was a forced fumble. That was just as important as the pooch kicks. their defense failed to get off the field on some third and longs in the first half. that was concerning, But they stepped up where they needed to. IMO Milan was more physical but only by a little. both teams showed great toughness and i believe will have some fun games this season. 

bunch of great kids playing hard and classy football. 

I do not believe that the pass play was called by the coaches late in the game. But, you are free to believe it if you want to. emotions were high with the players and made some bad decisions. The QB running out of Bounds in the fourth was another poor decision that would have helped. At the end of the day these are kids out there. 

Go Dogs

Dang @BIGPURPLEMACHINE I'm hearing y'all got #15 from the tennis team. He was very impressive last night. Loved seeing my nephew (cousins boy but I call him nephew) getting after it! He's the smallest on the O-line but don't tell him that! Heart and will aplenty.  Also big #44. We miss him and his dad in maroon but glad to see him out there tearing it up for the bulldogs. He's a good one. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Dang @BIGPURPLEMACHINE I'm hearing y'all got #15 from the tennis team. He was very impressive last night. Loved seeing my nephew (cousins boy but I call him nephew) getting after it! He's the smallest on the O-line but don't tell him that! Heart and will aplenty.  Also big #44. We miss him and his dad in maroon but glad to see him out there tearing it up for the bulldogs. He's a good one. 

Pruitt has played football before but I don’t believe he did last year. Did play on a doubles team that made it to state in tennis. Great athlete.  Was a great team effort last night. But we have some things to work on. Time to get back on the grind.