Oak Ridge against Farragut

bounder

It's hard to open up the offense when you have an oline that doesn't protect well (yes two starters were back but they were rusty to say the least) and 3 of the top four receivers on the sideline.  People can argue it all they want, the fact is 1, 9, 13 and 17 (at the time of the jamboree) were our starting rotation at receiver. 3 of these four are watching from the sideline, along with Jai who we throw to out of the backfield.  Plus, against Clinton we have 2 score lead most of the game and we are trying to keep QB Keith off the field, which we will likely do again this week because the FHS QB was terrific against Murvil and the same three receivers out are our starting two safeties and a corner (at the time of the jamorree), not to mention FHS has struggled to stop a run game thus far.  The offense is new and the key guys are out, I don't see how we are in position to "open it up" unless we just want to throw a few Stanton fades to 13, can we protect long enough against a good team to go deep?    For the most part I think we have to keep other good qb/receiver combos off the field right now by playing good defense sustaining some drives and using clock and flipping the field with our outstanding punter.  I know Elite will come on here and blast me, but sorry pal 8,10, and 37 in the secondary and at receiver  are a huge drop off from 1,9, and 17.  They will all be good players, but right now they are clear 2nds that are playing out of necessity.  Don't get me wrong they are doing a nice job, just a big drop off from the injured guys.  My point is that having these limitations is probably why the offense has been conservative thus far. 

To clear up the key injuries issue:  1,9,17 are long term, they won't be back anytime soon.  Hopefully just in time for the playoffs.  Go Cats

Edited by oridgecat

53 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

It's hard to open up the offense when you have an oline that doesn't protect well (yes two starters were back but they were rusty to say the least) and 3 of the top four receivers on the sideline.  People can argue it all they want, the fact is 1, 9, 13 and 17 (at the time of the jamboree) were our starting rotation at receiver. 3 of these four are watching from the sideline, along with Jai who we throw to out of the backfield.  Plus, against Clinton we have 2 score lead most of the game and we are trying to keep QB Keith off the field, which we will likely do again this week because the FHS QB was terrific against Murvil and the same three receivers out are our starting two safeties and a corner (at the time of the jamorree), not to mention FHS has struggled to stop a run game thus far.  The offense is new and the key guys are out, I don't see how we are in position to "open it up" unless we just want to throw a few Stanton fades to 13, can we protect long enough against a good team to go deep?    For the most part I think we have to keep other good qb/receiver combos off the field right now by playing good defense sustaining some drives and using clock and flipping the field with our outstanding punter.  I know Elite will come on here and blast me, but sorry pal 8,10, and 37 in the secondary and at receiver  are a huge drop off from 1,9, and 17.  They will all be good players, but right now they are clear 2nds that are playing out of necessity.  Don't get me wrong they are doing a nice job, just a big drop off from the injured guys.  My point is that having these limitations is probably why the offense has been conservative thus far. 

To clear up the key injuries issue:  1,9,17 are long term, they won't be back anytime soon.  Hopefully just in time for the playoffs.  Go Cats

All very good points, Cat. It’s unfortunate, but that’s where we’re at right now due to injuries. One positive thing about all this is that its given us a great chance to focus even more on the run game and run blocking, which will definitely pay-off later on in the season and during the playoffs.

Coming into the season, I knew Farragut would be thin in spots and that is certainly the case. I don’t know what the Admirals would have done without Corey Walker playing iron man football last year at 300 lbs; the kid was a warrior… rarely coming off the field. It is also my understanding, Farragut will be without a starting offensive lineman for a “few” weeks.

Playing against Scott Cummings has always made me nervous. I am a big fan of veer run concepts and dividing the field in half with split backs from time to time puts pressure on the defense IMO, particularly the second level.

I watched the Oak Ridge/Clinton game back on YouTube and I was impressed with what Coach Cummings has already been able to incorporate offensively in a short amount of time. Oak Ridge has excellent skill players and the defense was flying to the ball with 33 standing out on video.

For Farragut, I hope to see Sheppard’s role increase on offense as the season goes on -the kid has big play ability. Tackling and overall play on the defensive front end must get better if the Admirals are to have any chance to slow the Oak Ridge run game. I really hated to see Hill go down early against West - I liked how he was progressing at DE. 

It will be a close game, as it usually is, I am sure. I hope both teams can escape without any additional injuries as there is still a lot of football to be played after Friday night.

39 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

All very good points, Cat. It’s unfortunate, but that’s where we’re at right now due to injuries. One positive thing about all this is that its given us a great chance to focus even more on the run game and run blocking, which will definitely pay-off later on in the season and during the playoffs.

Yeah for sure and we are building depth, out of pure necessity, but building depth nonetheless. 

11 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Yeah for sure and we are building depth, out of pure necessity, but building depth nonetheless. 

Your way of saying…..

we are just laying in the weeds waiting to strike… the talent level in the Nuclear City is incredible. You beat a good Clinton team with essentially your JV. 

3 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Yes, 1,9 and 17 take away a lot on both sides of the ball. I hope they make it back by playoff time. A positive is those guys playing for them are learning and I thought did a credible job against a pretty good Clinton QB and receivers, most of the time.  Clinton might not have scored on that fade at the end of the half with a taller, more experienced DB in the game, but it was a nice throw by the qb and grab by the receiver. Missing 1 in the secondary because he finds the football and makes interceptions. OR needs that Friday night to get Farragut off the field on 3rd downs, which they have converted in games with OR the last few years. 

7 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Yes, 1,9 and 17 take away a lot on both sides of the ball. I hope they make it back by playoff time. A positive is those guys playing for them are learning and I thought did a credible job against a pretty good Clinton QB and receivers, most of the time.  Clinton might not have scored on that fade at the end of the half with a taller, more experienced DB in the game, but it was a nice throw by the qb and grab by the receiver. Missing 1 in the secondary because he finds the football and makes interceptions. OR needs that Friday night to get Farragut off the field on 3rd downs, which they have converted in games with OR the last few years. 

Agreed 8, 10 and 27 are really doing a fine job for us, they are getting better each week no doubt, but they are all roughly 5-6  160lb.  That's asking alot! I'm proud of them and they will be better because of having to play so early, no doubt.  Matter of fact, I think #27 saved our bacon when he knocked away that long pass on 3rd down in the 4th deep in our end.  

6 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Agreed 8, 10 and 27 are really doing a fine job for us, they are getting better each week no doubt, but they are all roughly 5-6  160lb.  That's asking alot! I'm proud of them and they will be better because of having to play so early, no doubt.  Matter of fact, I think #27 saved our bacon when he knocked away that long pass on 3rd down in the 4th deep in our end.  

I hope we have some of the injured back by the time we play mighty Powell. They have some real good tall and athletic receivers that are hard to cover, especially in those jump ball situations.