Haywood @ Milan

Kruger77

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night.  But at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

Milan has played and beaten two quality opponents (Peabody and South Gibson).  Haywood dominated a 3-1 Crockett team and came away with a 14-point victory over a tough 1-3 Lexington team.  Although I never felt like the Lexington game was in doubt, I feel like the game exposed a few concerns:

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Maybe Haywood didn’t take Lexington as seriously as they should have.  I know I didn’t.  Maybe the Cats were looking ahead to the Milan game.  I know I was, but in the end the Tomcats did what they had to do with outstanding runs and passes, two goal line stands, and an aggressive hard-hitting defense.

I feel like the concerns I mentioned can and will be addressed.  If Haywood plays with discipline and focus, the Cats should be fine. Go Tomcats!

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS site, Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).
After Haywood defeated Milan 88-0 in 1963, the two teams did not meet again until 1987.  (John Hooper, who was Haywood’s coach in 1963 was known for running up the score.)
The two teams have only met 5 times since 1987.  Haywood has won 3.  Milan has won 2.
Haywood leads the series 26-16-1
Haywood won last year’s game 40-7.
Milan has played in 10 state championship games winning 4.  (Correct me if I'm wrong BPM.) Haywood has played in 4 state championship games losing all 4. 
Milan assistant coach Bailey Patterson was an assistant coach at Haywood last year.

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, stacmot said:

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night but at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

Milan has played and beaten two quality opponents (Peabody and South Gibson).  Haywood dominated a 3-1 Crockett team and came away with a 14-point victory over a tough 1-3 Lexington team.  Although I never felt like the Lexington game was in doubt.  I feel like the game exposed a few concerns:

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Maybe Haywood didn’t take Lexington as seriously as they should have.  I know I didn’t.  Maybe the Cats were looking ahead to the Milan game.  I know I was, but in the end the Tomcats did what they had to do with outstanding runs and passes, two goal line stands, and an aggressive hard-hitting defense.

I feel like the concerns I mentioned can and will be addressed.  If Haywood plays with discipline and focus, the Cats should be fine. Go Tomcats!

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS  site…Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).
After Haywood defeated Milan 88-0 in 1963, the two teams did not meet again until 1987.  (John Hooper, who was Haywood’s coach in 1963 was known for running up the score.)
The two teams have only met 5 times since 1987.  Haywood has won 3.  Milan has won 2.
Milan has played in 10 state championship games winning 4.  (Correct me if I'm wrong BPM.) Haywood has played in 4 state championship games losing all 4. 
Milan assistant coach Bailey Patterson was an assistant coach at Haywood last year.

Good stuff stac!!!  And you are correct. It is 10 although I wish we had won more than 4. I’m just glad that we are healthy this year. Last year we had multiple players out for the year and a few more out for the game. Hard to win or even be competitive with a good team like Haywood when your missing 6-7 starters. I am hopeful it will be a bit closer than the 40-7 score from last year. 

51 minutes ago, stacmot said:

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night but at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

Milan has played and beaten two quality opponents (Peabody and South Gibson).  Haywood dominated a 3-1 Crockett team and came away with a 14-point victory over a tough 1-3 Lexington team.  Although I never felt like the Lexington game was in doubt.  I feel like the game exposed a few concerns:

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS  site…Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).

I feel like we played to relaxed and got winded late, due to not playing a full game yet. I’m sure it will be addressed. Definitely have to lock in this week 

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Haywood would be happy with 4. Lol

I know it was difficult for Milan to deal with multiple injuries last year.  It's hard for a lot of teams to overcome an injury to one key player much less several.   You've said Milan is healthy.  As far as I know Haywood is healthy, so it should be a battle.. Let's pray it will be a clean and injury free one.  Good luck to both teams.

Edited by stacmot

This should be a good game. I’m biased, pulling for the Tomcats all the way. Aside from the fact that Haywood is a close neighbor, it’s my dad’s alma mater, and I had several first cousins who graduated from Haywood. 

In addition, there is a little animosity between Milan and Covington in regard to football. I will give props to Milan, however, for starting the “arms race” in regard to football facilities. Y’all’s upgraded stadium / artificial turf was undoubtedly one factor that prompted Tipton County to step up and install turf at all three county high school football fields.

Tomcats, I’m sure y’all are aware that you can expect a little home-cooking by the officials when you play at Milan. It’s just part of the deal up there.

GO TOMCATS!

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Haywood would be happy with 4. Lol

I know it was difficult for Milan to deal with multiple injuries last year.  It's hard for a lot of teams to overcome an injury to one key player much less several.   You've said Milan is healthy.  As far as I know Haywood is healthy, so it should be a battle.. Let's pray it will be a clean and injury free one.  Good luck to both teams.

Yes. I’m hoping for a clean and injury free game as well. 

31 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

This should be a good game. I’m biased, pulling for the Tomcats all the way. Aside from the fact that Haywood is a close neighbor, it’s my dad’s alma mater, and I had several first cousins who graduated from Haywood. 

In addition, there is a little animosity between Milan and Covington in regard to football. I will give props to Milan, however, for starting the “arms race” in regard to football facilities. Y’all’s upgraded stadium / artificial turf was undoubtedly one factor that prompted Tipton County to step up and install turf at all three county high school football fields.

Tomcats, I’m sure y’all are aware that you can expect a little home-cooking by the officials when you play at Milan. It’s just part of the deal up there.

GO TOMCATS!

Ouch, are you still a little salty about getting beat by the underdogs, at YOUR FIELD, in overtime, with your refs....lol. Gotta Love High School football. 

4 hours ago, stacmot said:

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night.  But at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS site, Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).

Nice job, @stacmot

Some good info here. I was a little surprised that both teams were ranked in the top 10 in all-time wins. That is pretty incredible IMO. 

After the game in 1963, I believe me and the cats coach would have a little discussion. That is outrageous. 

Should be a good game. 

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Nice job, @stacmot

Some good info here. I was a little surprised that both teams were ranked in the top 10 in all-time wins. That is pretty incredible IMO. 

After the game in 1963, I believe me and the cats coach would have a little discussion. That is outrageous. 

Should be a good game. 

I agree!  It should be a good game between two very proud and historic programs.  Although Milan will have the home field advantage, I’m sure Haywood is excited about their first appearance in the new and improved Johnnie Hale Stadium.  It appears to be a top-notch facility.

Now, @ManOfMillions!  If you think 88-0 was outrageous, just imagine Sept. 18, 1970…Haywood 110, Fayette Ware 0.  As I’ve mentioned in a previous thread, Haywood’s scheduling problems are not new.  They started with Hooper’s tenure in the 1960s.  Even then, Haywood had to reach out to Middle Tennessee, Northern Mississippi, and Eastern Arkansas to fill their schedule.

I don’t think a discussion with Hooper would have been a wise thing.  Tempers would have flared!  He wasn’t a big man, but you didn’t cross him.  I believe Haywood’s John Hooper and Milan’s John Tucker might have been somewhat similar in terms of their temper and desire to win.

That said, Hooper is revered in Brownsville. I think most of his former players will tell you that he made them a better man.  He helped to establish Haywood’s winning tradition, and Haywood’s football stadium (John B. Hooper Memorial Stadium) is named after him.