Haywood @ Milan

Kruger77

10 hours ago, stacmot said:

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night.  But at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

Milan has played and beaten two quality opponents (Peabody and South Gibson).  Haywood dominated a 3-1 Crockett team and came away with a 14-point victory over a tough 1-3 Lexington team.  Although I never felt like the Lexington game was in doubt, I feel like the game exposed a few concerns:

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Maybe Haywood didn’t take Lexington as seriously as they should have.  I know I didn’t.  Maybe the Cats were looking ahead to the Milan game.  I know I was, but in the end the Tomcats did what they had to do with outstanding runs and passes, two goal line stands, and an aggressive hard-hitting defense.

I feel like the concerns I mentioned can and will be addressed.  If Haywood plays with discipline and focus, the Cats should be fine. Go Tomcats!

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS site, Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).
After Haywood defeated Milan 88-0 in 1963, the two teams did not meet again until 1987.  (John Hooper, who was Haywood’s coach in 1963 was known for running up the score.)
The two teams have only met 5 times since 1987.  Haywood has won 3.  Milan has won 2.
Haywood leads the series 26-16-1
Haywood won last year’s game 40-7.
Milan has played in 10 state championship games winning 4.  (Correct me if I'm wrong BPM.) Haywood has played in 4 state championship games losing all 4. 
Milan assistant coach Bailey Patterson was an assistant coach at Haywood last year.

Good stuff Stacmot as usual. This should be a highly competitive game for sure. This will let two teams know where there at. Sounds like coach Hooper thought it was his job to score and the opposing coach’s job to stop him from scoring. Lol.

26 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I agree!  It should be a good game between two very proud and historic programs.  Although Milan will have the home field advantage, I’m sure Haywood is excited about their first appearance in the new and improved Johnnie Hale Stadium.  It appears to be a top-notch facility.

Now, @ManOfMillions!  If you think 88-0 was outrageous, just imagine Sept. 18, 1970…Haywood 110, Fayette Ware 0.  As I’ve mentioned in a previous thread, Haywood’s scheduling problems are not new.  They started with Hooper’s tenure in the 1960s.  Even then, Haywood had to reach out to Middle Tennessee, Northern Mississippi, and Eastern Arkansas to fill their schedule.

I don’t think a discussion with Hooper would have been a wise thing.  Tempers would have flared!  He wasn’t a big man, but you didn’t cross him.  I believe Haywood’s John Hooper and Milan’s John Tucker might have been somewhat similar in terms of their temper and desire to win.

That said, Hooper is revered in Brownsville. I think most of his former players will tell you that he made them a better man.  He helped to establish Haywood’s winning tradition, and Haywood’s football stadium (John B. Hooper Memorial Stadium) is named after him.

JEEZ!!!! 110 - 0. I do not even know how this is possible. I see where the scheduling problems come from! 

13 hours ago, stacmot said:

This game will have HUGE Region 7-4A implications!  At the start of the season, Haywood, Milan, and South Gibson were considered to be the top contenders for the region title.  Milan already has a win over SGC.  A victory over Haywood would all but assure the Bulldogs the region title or a least a share of it.  I know it’s early in the season and anything can happen on any given night.  But at this point, I don’t see Crockett Co., Obion Central, or North Side as being able to knock off the Dawgs.

Milan has played and beaten two quality opponents (Peabody and South Gibson).  Haywood dominated a 3-1 Crockett team and came away with a 14-point victory over a tough 1-3 Lexington team.  Although I never felt like the Lexington game was in doubt, I feel like the game exposed a few concerns:

senseless penalties
the punting game
break downs on defense
dropped passes

Maybe Haywood didn’t take Lexington as seriously as they should have.  I know I didn’t.  Maybe the Cats were looking ahead to the Milan game.  I know I was, but in the end the Tomcats did what they had to do with outstanding runs and passes, two goal line stands, and an aggressive hard-hitting defense.

I feel like the concerns I mentioned can and will be addressed.  If Haywood plays with discipline and focus, the Cats should be fine. Go Tomcats!

Fun Facts: 

According to the THSFHS site, Haywood ranks 7th in the state in all time wins (699 – 401 – 34). Milan is tied with McCallie for 8th (695 – 405 – 23).
After Haywood defeated Milan 88-0 in 1963, the two teams did not meet again until 1987.  (John Hooper, who was Haywood’s coach in 1963 was known for running up the score.)
The two teams have only met 5 times since 1987.  Haywood has won 3.  Milan has won 2.
Haywood leads the series 26-16-1
Haywood won last year’s game 40-7.
Milan has played in 10 state championship games winning 4.  (Correct me if I'm wrong BPM.) Haywood has played in 4 state championship games losing all 4. 
Milan assistant coach Bailey Patterson was an assistant coach at Haywood last year.

Stacmot - you always post interesting stuff. I was curious where my Covington team would fall in the all-time win list. So, I went to the database you referenced. The data for Covington is listed as Byars-Hall (through 1969) with 307 wins, and as Covington (since the name change in 1970) with 373 wins. The total is 680, which would put us as number 13 in the all-time win list. Sounds as if you and Milan have beat us again.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Good stuff Stacmot as usual. This should be a highly competitive game for sure. This will let two teams know where there at. Sounds like coach Hooper thought it was his job to score and the opposing coach’s job to stop him from scoring. Lol.

Thanks TigersandCats.  It should be a competitive game.  I expect both teams to go after it with all they’ve got, and I expect the game and atmosphere to be like that of a state semifinal or championship game. There’s a lot on the line.    

That said, not all will be lost for the team that comes out on the short end of the scoreboard.  There’s a lot of football left to play.

Hooper was not as successful during his 2-year tenure at Hardin County winning 8 and losing 11. 

I was disappointed to see last night’s Hardin Co. – USJ score.  I’m confident the Tigers will recover.  Good luck against Chester Co. this week.

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks TigersandCats.  It should be a competitive game.  I expect both teams to go after it with all they’ve got, and I expect the game and atmosphere to be like that of a state semifinal or championship game. There’s a lot on the line.    

That said, not all will be lost for the team that comes out on the short end of the scoreboard.  There’s a lot of football left to play.

Hooper was not as successful during his 2-year tenure at Hardin County winning 8 and losing 11. 

I was disappointed to see last night’s Hardin Co. – USJ score.  I’m confident the Tigers will recover.  Good luck against Chester Co. this week.

Thanks, I think they’ll bounce back. When you become accustomed to winning and lose it usually is a humbling experience and will cause a team to refocus and improve. 

But for this  Dawg and Cat fight coming, this has the makings of the game of the week. I would love to see this game live.  

Just now, Tornado82 said:

Milan by a field goal

I would take that. Lol. I am confident in Milan’s special teams. The qb Westbrooks is also the punter and kicker. He routinely puts them in the end zone causing opponents to have to go the length of the field. Had some good squib kicks for turnovers against Trenton and kicked the game winner against South Gibson. Tomcat fans, how are your special teams this year.