Haywood @ Melrose

stacmot

Congratulations Tomcats!  Last week's victory was the 700th all-time win for Haywood, and Coach Smith's 70th career win while at Germantown and Haywood.  Keep up the good work, and let's make this week 701 and 71. 

A victory this week would also be Coach Smith's 40th win while at Haywood and the 40th for this year's seniors as well.  There's a lot of football left to play, so let's keep winning and adding to those numbers.  Go Tomcats!

• Like 1

I have a legit question. How come Haywood doesn't play the big boys out of Middle TN? Henry County consistently does. Not only do I think it would make Haywood better for the playoffs, but I think they could give some of those teams very good competitive games. I'd love to see Haywood against a Brentwood/Beech or any of the good solid programs in Middle TN.

52 minutes ago, BigRed88 said:

I have a legit question. How come Haywood doesn't play the big boys out of Middle TN? Henry County consistently does. Not only do I think it would make Haywood better for the playoffs, but I think they could give some of those teams very good competitive games. I'd love to see Haywood against a Brentwood/Beech or any of the good solid programs in Middle TN.

from what i hear hard to schedule games for haywood and has been this way for many years 

1 hour ago, BigRed88 said:

Part of that issue is money honestly.

11 hours ago, BigRed88 said:

I have no inside ties to the current program, so I can’t give you a definite answer.  It’s all hearsay to me.

That said, I have heard that we have unsuccessfully reached out to 5A and 6A schools in Shelby and Tipton Counties, out of state, and to the mid-state area as well. 

The stronger mid-state programs are all located 150+ miles from Brownsville.  Haywood is a poor county.  One, two, or more 300-mile round trips would be taxing for our program to say the least.  I’ve also heard that these programs don’t want a home and home contract.  They don’t want to travel to Brownsville.

I also have a legit question.  Why aren’t Henry County and Haywood playing in the regular season anymore?  In the past, @reddyrebel6 has stated:

“...the two head coaches are very close and clinic together and had played for six straight years at Germantown and HC and were probably tired of beating up on each other. Smith actually held a 4-2 lead I believe.”

“I hated to see the series end and it will be the first time in six years I haven't been involved from the stands with a HC game. Saw their last three with Germantown and last two with Haywood County. Coach Counce and Coach Smith got tired of opening with each other, I guess. They are also pretty tight and clinic together so there will be not many secrets in this one. Just two good teams banging heads and trying to escape injury free in what will probably be a vanilla matchup with nothing at stake.”

I’ve also heard that Henry County dropped Haywood because they wanted to beef up their schedule.  What do you know as to why the series ended?  I would love to hear Henry County's answer to that question.

Edited by stacmot

To get back on topic:

Haywood holds a 3 – 1 lead in this series.  Last year, the Tomcats defeated Melrose 43 – 20 during the regular season and 50 – 12 in the second-round of the playoffs.  I expect the Golden Wildcats to put up a tough fight when we travel to Orange Mound.  

Haywood

Record:

4-0

PF - PA

195 - 48

Per Game

48.8 - 12

Opponents' W - L

11 - 8

Melrose

Record

4 - 0