Gordonsville @ Clay County

TheBlueprint

I've seen both teams play a few different times this season. None of those in person however, just on NFHS. Clay Co has looked a little more impressive to me although a couple of the times I watched Gordonsville play, they were pretty banged up.  The way Gordonsville played against Coalfield was impressive, so it kind of surprised me to see the Jo Byrns score be as close as it was. However, it could be a situation where it wasn't really as close as the score indicated. I usually don't like to compare scores against common opponents but that one just had me puzzled since it seemed Gordonsville was starting to hit their stride. Either way, I think this game will be very close

27 minutes ago, Roooster said:

With both teams returning basically the same team as the last year and Gville winning, any reason for giving Clay the edge this year? Or just going by scores this year? 

Both teams return a lot, but Gville is a completely different team. Players are in different positions and more players are seeing the field as not many play both ways. We lost 3 starters on each side of the ball, but more are playing that didn't play much last year 

Gville has struggled with injuries this year, but we're healthier now, for the most part. 

18 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Both teams return a lot, but Gville is a completely different team. Players are in different positions and more players are seeing the field as not many play both ways. We lost 3 starters on each side of the ball, but more are playing that didn't play much last year 

Gville has struggled with injuries this year, but we're healthier now, for the most part. 

I'm sure this was talked about earlier when the teams played, but what caused Gordonsville to struggle with Jo Byrns? I would have to assume there were turnovers, penalties, etc. that led to them only scoring 14 points.

3 minutes ago, volwalker23 said:

I'm sure this was talked about earlier when the teams played, but what caused Gordonsville to struggle with Jo Byrns? I would have to assume there were turnovers, penalties, etc. that led to them only scoring 14 points.

Combination of penalties and Jo Byrns milked a lot of clock when they had the ball. If I remember correctly Gville had 3 possessions each half and had 2 TD’s called back and another drive stalled inside the 10 right before half 

23 minutes ago, Roooster said:

I definitely think this game could go either way but I do think Gordonsville has played a much better schedule. Clay’s opponents overall record sits at 20-61 while Gville’s is 40-41. I know that really won’t matter when 7:00 rolls around next Friday but that’s just my 2 cents 

Gville has played a much tougher schedule for sure. We’ll see if that makes any difference Friday night but there’s definitely value in being tested and having to overcome adversity. Aside from Westmoreland, Clay has played a pretty weak schedule.. although they have dominated the weaker competition like they were supposed to do. 

On 10/21/2022 at 11:39 PM, volwalker23 said:

Gville has played a much tougher schedule for sure. We’ll see if that makes any difference Friday night but there’s definitely value in being tested and having to overcome adversity. Aside from Westmoreland, Clay has played a pretty weak schedule.. although they have dominated the weaker competition like they were supposed to do. 

Clay scrimmaged several good teams in preseason. Watertown, Monterey,&coalfield. They handled those scrimmages with ease. Lost to Dekalb in jamboree but only played starters a quarter at most. I’m going 22-14 Clay for their first ever region title.

Edited by Dog13