Gordonsville @ Clay County

TheBlueprint

19 minutes ago, volwalker23 said:

I think so but mostly basing that off of Clay being at home. If the game was at Gordonsville I’d probably give Gville the slight edge. Should be a close game 

I myself know how hard it is to win in Gordonsville. I was a senior on theBulldog team in1994 12-6 OT lossfor 2nd in region. That was rough. I believed this Clay team could’ve won the last two times in gordonsville with the right coaching. Bulldogs do now.

Edited by Dog13

On 10/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, volwalker23 said:

I've seen both teams play a few different times this season. None of those in person however, just on NFHS. Clay Co has looked a little more impressive to me although a couple of the times I watched Gordonsville play, they were pretty banged up.  The way Gordonsville played against Coalfield was impressive, so it kind of surprised me to see the Jo Byrns score be as close as it was. However, it could be a situation where it wasn't really as close as the score indicated. I usually don't like to compare scores against common opponents but that one just had me puzzled since it seemed Gordonsville was starting to hit their stride. Either way, I think this game will be very close

Jo Byrns is a tough place to play. Last year, the scores were flipped since Clay County travelled and Gordonsville hosted Jo Byrns. I wouldn't put a ton of stock into comparing scores with Jo Byrns.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

Jo Byrns is a tough place to play. Last year, the scores were flipped since Clay County travelled and Gordonsville hosted Jo Byrns. I wouldn't put a ton of stock into comparing scores with Jo Byrns.

Good point. I think it will be a great game and I can see it going either way. Winner definitely gets a big advantage as far as the playoffs are concerned 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:08 PM, OldTownRoad said:

To my knowledge, 1985 is the only meeting between the two in Celina. 

The Pirates would’ve come to Celina for a regular season game in ‘84 and won.  The Bulldogs travelled to SP for a regular season game in ‘83 and got their only victory over the Black and Orange.

• Like 1

Gordonsville is the favorite in this one despite what any power rankings, polls, or common scores say. At the end of the day, the Bulldogs are 3-21 in their last 24 meetings with the Tigers, with those wins coming in ‘03, ‘08, and ‘19.  With that being said, Clay County is fine and dandy being the underDawgs.  Should be an electric atmosphere at John Teeples Field this Friday.  Clay County wins 22-20!

• Like 1

I believe Gordonsville’s ceiling is higher than Celina’s but Gordonsville’s floor is way lower than Celina. The tigers have laid some eggs this year, hard to tell what will happen Friday. 
Key to the game is Gordonsville’s passing game. If Gordonsville connects down the field then I like the Tigers by 7. If there are a lot of incompletions or interceptions it will be a steep up-hill battle. 

All in all this will be two solid 1A teams. South Pitt will have the toughest 2nd and 3rd round matchups they’ve had in a while.

1 hour ago, TigerTown12 said:

I believe Gordonsville’s ceiling is higher than Celina’s but Gordonsville’s floor is way lower than Celina. The tigers have laid some eggs this year, hard to tell what will happen Friday. 
Key to the game is Gordonsville’s passing game. If Gordonsville connects down the field then I like the Tigers by 7. If there are a lot of incompletions or interceptions it will be a steep up-hill battle. 

All in all this will be two solid 1A teams. South Pitt will have the toughest 2nd and 3rd round matchups they’ve had in a while.

That will be a big key to this game. Quite frankly, no one Clay County has played has thrown the ball successfully against them, with the exception of two drives Westmoreland had (the other score was set up on a short field given to the offense by a great defensive play) and one of those aided by two pass interference calls. I know Gordonsville lost some talent from last year in the receiving core, while practically all of Clay's secondary is back. I will be very impressed if Gordonsville can come in and throw it around the yard on Clay's defense. Certainly not saying it's impossible as Albritton is a very talented quarterback.

48 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

That will be a big key to this game. Quite frankly, no one Clay County has played has thrown the ball successfully against them, with the exception of two drives Westmoreland had (the other score was set up on a short field given to the offense by a great defensive play) and one of those aided by two pass interference calls. I know Gordonsville lost some talent from last year in the receiving core, while practically all of Clay's secondary is back. I will be very impressed if Gordonsville can come in and throw it around the yard on Clay's defense. Certainly not saying it's impossible as Albritton is a very talented quarterback.

Containing Albritton from scrambling is the key to this game I believe. 

4 hours ago, TigerTown12 said:

You are correct. SP isn’t great this year. Past SP teams a lot of the great years we had would have cruised to Chattanooga in the east, but as we know.. the 2022 team definitely isn’t up there with a lot of our great teams through the years. I believe the 2nd and 3rd round games are tossups this season between these 3 teams. 

BTW.. last years 2nd and 3rd games should have been much closer as well. That SP team won it all, but they weren’t one of our better teams either. 

Edited by CaptainLongbeard