How to improve the playoffs

ReitzFan

While I like it and it's different I don't think the tssaa would reduce the games. Since I don't believe they'll reduce the games I say top 3 from each region are the automatic qualifiers and have 8 at large selections replace the 4 seeds. Align them by geography, furtherest east at large team plays region 1 and so on. There's no reason a 5-5 Gleason team should be sitting at home while there's 1-9 teams in the playoffs 

15 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I don't think there will ever be a reduction in the number of classes. There are alot of sub standard teams making the show in each class. Do you want to improve the overall quality of the playoff field? Of course you do. Nobody wants to see the same old 4 at 1 seed blowouts that are so poorly attended that the host loses money. I think we all agree on this. I have  a simple solution that will automatically increase field quality while having the least possible financial impact. 

The solution is to not allow the 4 seed from each region to qualify for the playoffs and give all first seed teams a first round bye as a reward for being region champion. All first round games are 2 v 3 seed. A partial bracket example using regions 7 and 8 as the example. Region 7 #1 gets top bracket bye and will play winner of game between region 7 #3 at region 8 #2. The bottom of the bracket has region 8 #1 with a bye and then playing winner of region 8 #3 at region 7 #2.  Will there be some bad 2v3 games? Maybe so. Since most 4 at 1 seeds are horrible , those are gone. 2 seed v 3 seed games usually are better. You are eliminating 8 teams in each class, D1 1A thru 6A. 8 mostly lopsided games per class are eliminated. You get the net effect  of basically eliminating a class (8 #4 seeds per class) while not eliminating any championships. You ensure a higher quality field to start your playoffs with and also give the remaining teams a better financial situation and you keep the 4 seeds at home which saves them money they really don't need to spend on busses and food when the chance of a victory are virtually non-existant. Seems pretty simple to me. My proposal I think goes a long way towards increasing field quality while giving my new system more of an old school feel. It's a win win for all. Thus is all just my opinion.

So, do what they do at the D-2 level? Because I don't like this. With your proposal, you're telling an 8-2 team that has wins over MUS and Christian Brothers to stay home? Not to mention, that team has a legit shot to win their first round game? There was a team last week that could've finished first in their region if they won, but since they lost the game, they finished 4th. Is that fair to them? Putting a punishment on good regions that are out there because teams that are in the 1A/2A side of the bracket are blowing teams out. 

I think it's ridiculous for a D-2 team to receive a bye in week 1 of the playoffs (i.e. this week) and then can receive another bye on Black Friday, while everybody else is playing. I know a solution to solve that, but I know it won't happen.

Is it the best playoff system? No it's not. But it's a playoff system that seems like it is a win-win for everybody involved. It's a low stress system. 

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Not saying you guys are this way, but we live in too much of a snowflake culture where everybody is a winner, everybody gets a participation trophy, etc.         I just don't see it ever changing much unless there is a fundamental shift in our collective societal mindset.       There is an insightful book called War on Football, not saying I agree with every premise but it does at the very least make you think.     https://www.amazon.com/War-Football-Saving-Americas-Game/dp/1621571556

There are no "participation" trophies in this. It's set up the way it is for no other reason than the TSSAA's financial benefit, and it's not changing. The TSSAA doesn't care if North Greene or Johnson County get obliterated in round 1 and they don't get a participation trophy for being there. 

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

So, do what they do at the D-2 level? Because I don't like this. With your proposal, you're telling an 8-2 team that has wins over MUS and Christian Brothers to stay home? Not to mention, that team has a legit shot to win their first round game? There was a team last week that could've finished first in their region if they won, but since they lost the game, they finished 4th. Is that fair to them? Putting a punishment on good regions that are out there because teams that are in the 1A/2A side of the bracket are blowing teams out. 

I think it's ridiculous for a D-2 team to receive a bye in week 1 of the playoffs (i.e. this week) and then can receive another bye on Black Friday, while everybody else is playing. I know a solution to solve that, but I know it won't happen.

Is it the best playoff system? No it's not. But it's a playoff system that seems like it is a win-win for everybody involved. It's a low stress system. 

If you had paid attention in class, you would have understood that I was not talking about D 2 in my discussion. It was strictly a D 1 deal.  Go back and re-read what I proposed for D1. If you can, come up with something better and get back with us. And by the way, Try not to suck the next time. 

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

If you had paid attention in class, you would have understood that I was not talking about D 2 in my discussion. It was strictly a D 1 deal.  Go back and re-read what I proposed for D1. If you can, come up with something better and get back with us. And by the way, Try not to suck the next time. 

*yawn*

10 hours ago, Indian said:

Blow it all up. No classes in Division I regular season (Division 2 can do the same). Everyone schedules 10 games on their own each year, even if home and away the same season. Travel improves, closer rivalries renewed. TSSAA can assist any having scheduling issues.  

After 10 weeks, divide the 300 teams into 5 playoff classes by enrollment. Take the top 32 of 60 (computer ranked-record, strength of opposition etc), then put those 32 into 4 geographic quads. 

If it were to continue, just take 20 day enrollment from the current year. Lots of excitement with nothing final until week 10 ends. 

so similar to how Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin do it... i kinda like the idea in theory... dunno how it'd work in practice though...

15 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

The TSSAA already charges an outrageous fee of $750 to video live stream or broadcast a single playoff game yet radio stations don't have to pay a dime. Don't give the TSSAA anymore ideas. And don't get me started about that awful NFHS deal that the state and many foolish schools use now that is very discriminatory.  I'll have to start another post about those jackwagons. 

I couldn't agree with you more on both accounts!

12 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That requires effort and resources. The current model requires neither. The current model includes more teams = more games = more cash.

I believe if the numbers were crunched on the 1 0, 1 and 2 win teams in the 1st round, it actually loses cash by the time officiating is factored in.  The home team absorbs a lot.