Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

21 minutes ago, middletn said:

With the head job openings at Lipscomb Academy, Brentwood Academy, and Wilson Central I think Gallatin might be having a much tougher time hiring a coach now. Now have to wonder if someone can pull Crabtree away from Beech and create a job opening there...

For Gallatin to become a premier program a few things must be done:

1.  Create an academic program like the IB program where kids from all over Sumner County may attend Gallatin

2.  Allow the new head coach to hire all of his own assistant coaches along with the strength & conditioning coach 

3.  Create a nominal fee (no more than $1500.00) where kids from outside Sumner County may attend Gallatin much like Maryville & Alcoa currently are doing

4.  The head coach will have to be paid close to $100,00 per year.  It may be required that the booster club get creative

Brentwood Academy will likely go out of state much like they have done in the past to find a head coach.  If Trent leaves who knows what direction Lipscomb with turn to for the future but I could envision a true national search for a head coach.  When it comes to Wilson Central, I am not sure that it has the potential to be a great job at the present time.  That program will be a complete rebuilding job and it will not be easy.  Much like Gallatin, WC needs an academic program that the other schools in Wilson County do not have so as to be able to recruit the whole county.  To consistently win state championships you must have good players and then do a great job of coaching the up.  The days of just putting the best athletes on the field are over.  A team must have good players, work them hard in the offseason and then really know the X's & O's.  Very few people have the desire to put in the necessary work that it takes to win state championships.  

18 minutes ago, cbg said:

For Gallatin to become a premier program a few things must be done:

1.  Create an academic program like the IB program where kids from all over Sumner County may attend Gallatin

2.  Allow the new head coach to hire all of his own assistant coaches along with the strength & conditioning coach 

3.  Create a nominal fee (no more than $1500.00) where kids from outside Sumner County may attend Gallatin much like Maryville & Alcoa currently are doing

4.  The head coach will have to be paid close to $100,00 per year.  It may be required that the booster club get creative

Brentwood Academy will likely go out of state much like they have done in the past to find a head coach.  If Trent leaves who knows what direction Lipscomb with turn to for the future but I could envision a true national search for a head coach.  When it comes to Wilson Central, I am not sure that it has the potential to be a great job at the present time.  That program will be a complete rebuilding job and it will not be easy.  Much like Gallatin, WC needs an academic program that the other schools in Wilson County do not have so as to be able to recruit the whole county.  To consistently win state championships you must have good players and then do a great job of coaching the up.  The days of just putting the best athletes on the field are over.  A team must have good players, work them hard in the offseason and then really know the X's & O's.  Very few people have the desire to put in the necessary work that it takes to win state championships.  

I believe they do have a class like that but are constrained by Sumner County School Board.

They do hire the assistants

Again it’s not Gallatin but Sumner County who allows who attends

I agree there needs to be help from the booster clubs to attract a good coach

13 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

The majority of the school board are not old Gallatin people!  Where did that come from?? 
Station Camp and Liberty Creek have both been built where kids who attended Gallatin back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.  There was never been a plan to put another school down 109 because growth was towards Hendersonville.  Everybody knows that.  Funny how bad Gallatin is and how many teachers left for Liberty Creek and all the amenities they got handed to them….none!!  Not one left to go there.  Painting a bad picture of Gallatin High School is not realistic.  Oh they have issues, any school with 1600 kids will.  But to act like they are far and above the problem School of the county is ridiculous.   Gallatin does not control the pay either, that is Sumner County Schools.  In fact Sumner Co just got a pay increase and if you check around, they compete very well by the numbers with that increase.  

Teachers did leave for Liberty Creek. Coaches have left for Beech and White House Heritage. Liberty Creek only took 100 students from Gallatin High School. The growth was towards Hendersonville 10 years ago, there is nothing left to develop in Hendersonville. All the growth is towards Gallatin now. Look at all the land around Liberty Creek and Beech, acres upon acres. All that is owned by individuals not willing to sell to developers. What is getting sold to developers? Everything down 109. Look at the statistics released by the county. Gallatin has come in dead last in testing amongst every academic category. You don't have to paint a bad picture when the picture is out in the open for everyone to see. Hendersonville had 1600 students what issues have they had? Same with Beech. Station Camp had 1700 students in 2017. There biggest issue was losing kids to Pope, but Gallatin keeps every kid they have so why are they performing poorly academically and in every sport? Why are kids wanting to transfer out? Obviously Gallatin doesn't control teacher pay... that is a Sumner County issue. But every Gallatin fan runs away every coach they get, and that is not a Sumner County issue. No Gallatin alumni wants that job anymore. Every experienced coach in the area knows not to take that job. Watson isn't even leaving until after the spring semester = no teaching job open. How is Gallatin going to make a good coaching hire when they can't even hire somebody until the Summer? Gallatin has many issues and getting rid of one underperforming coach ain't the answer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, middletn said:

Teachers did leave for Liberty Creek. Coaches have left for Beech and White House Heritage. Liberty Creek only took 100 students from Gallatin High School. The growth was towards Hendersonville 10 years ago, there is nothing left to develop in Hendersonville. All the growth is towards Gallatin now. Look at all the land around Liberty Creek and Beech, acres upon acres. All that is owned by individuals not willing to sell to developers. What is getting sold to developers? Everything down 109. Look at the statistics released by the county. Gallatin has come in dead last in testing amongst every academic category. You don't have to paint a bad picture when the picture is out in the open for everyone to see. Hendersonville had 1600 students what issues have they had? Same with Beech. Station Camp had 1700 students in 2017. There biggest issue was losing kids to Pope, but Gallatin keeps every kid they have so why are they performing poorly academically and in every sport? Why are kids wanting to transfer out? Obviously Gallatin doesn't control teacher pay... that is a Sumner County issue. But every Gallatin fan runs away every coach they get, and that is not a Sumner County issue. No Gallatin alumni wants that job anymore. Every experienced coach in the area knows not to take that job. Watson isn't even leaving until after the spring semester = no teaching job open. How is Gallatin going to make a good coaching hire when they can't even hire somebody until the Summer? Gallatin has many issues and getting rid of one underperforming coach ain't the answer.

Good to know how bad it is around here. Guess we will have to just go hire somebody off the street. Thanks for the heads up. 

18 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

Good to know how bad it is around here. Guess we will have to just go hire somebody off the street. Thanks for the heads up. 

We'll be having this same conversation in two years when the Gallatin community runs away yet another coach. Y'all talk so much about tradition and alumni yet all your alumni who are coaching get ran away too. 

13 minutes ago, middletn said:

We'll be having this same conversation in two years when the Gallatin community runs away yet another coach. Y'all talk so much about tradition and alumni yet all your alumni who are coaching get ran away too. 

Which alumni has Gallatin ran away? Joslin and Lassiter are they only two alumni that have been head coaches. I agree, Coach Joslin may have gotten done wrong, but Lassiter retired on his own accord. Williams and Watson were not from Gallatin. Please, enlighten us. 

14 minutes ago, middletn said:

Talk so much about it? Atleast that school has a big tradition and lot of Alumni that truly care about the program. That can't be said about every county school. 

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

I believe they do have a class like that but are constrained by Sumner County School Board.

They do hire the assistants

Again it’s not Gallatin but Sumner County who allows who attends

I agree there needs to be help from the booster clubs to attract a good coach

You know they won't allow this in the hiring search. Tried it last time, but it was shot down. 

32 minutes ago, JPlunkett77 said:

You know they won't allow this in the hiring search. Tried it last time, but it was shot down. 

How many successful programs do this? Quite a few.  Have to get with the times or repeat the failures.  Short got a vehicle every year, not sure about Lassiter or Joslin.  Williams got nothing and Watson did not either.  If you take the most successful public school coaches in the state right now, they get extra money from the booster clubs!  Set goals and pay to reach them.  If the QB Club cannot do it then another booster organization needs to. Maybe somebody outside the scope of who can tell them not to.  Good coaches require good pay!  Rankin did not go to Alcoa without good money, these long tenured successful coaches get extra money than the county stipend.  Got to get with the times, don’t hide it, just show it.  Trousdale Co coaches get paid why can’t Gallatin’s coaches??  

1 hour ago, middletn said:

You first said the school board is a bunch of old Gallatin alumni…. False.  That assertion led you to state other issues which Gallatin has no control over.  Now you’re saying teachers left Gallatin High School for Liberty Creek… who name them?  Ask any lawyer in Sumner Co which kids are seen in court more often, it’s the kids that have the money in Hendersonville and Beech.  Don’t believe me go ask them!!  Do Gallatin kids have issues and do bad things, yes they do but don’t act like Gallatin is exclusive in this.  C’mon man do better than that!!  To answer a few of your bad examples, the hazing issue at Station Camp and the Beech/Hville rash of taking trophies to fights with pellet guns.  Who is the leading runningback at Pope, a Gallatin kid.  All Gallatin sports are bad…check out the basketball teams bud!!  Just sit and watch how many apply for the job once it’s posted.  I guess 4 years ago over 100 did not apply?  You’re wasting everybody’s time.  

1 hour ago, JPlunkett77 said:

Which alumni has Gallatin ran away? Joslin and Lassiter are they only two alumni that have been head coaches. I agree, Coach Joslin may have gotten done wrong, but Lassiter retired on his own accord. Williams and Watson were not from Gallatin. Please, enlighten us. 

Every little faction needs to get on board with whomever is chosen.  We need the best possible coach out there.   There needs to be input from Short, QB Club, big supporters, anybody that loves the Green Wave.   Becker, Sanders , Frech whoever can make the final hire but the community needs to be backing up that hire.  A committee to help assist with finding a good coach would help!!  Get more people invested in this process.  

• Upvote 1